• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate: Ch.9 commentators

Nemesis27

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would get rid of Healy first tbh. When asked whether Australia would have won after the final rain delay, he said 'easily' which was far from the case. Slater and Nicholas made him quickly back pedal. What a one-eyed supporter =)

howardj

International Coach
Lol'd today when Chappelli said he always thought Kasprowicz had been underbowled in his international career and Slats and Taylor both had a chuckle and pointed out that they would be sure to let Steve Waugh know that Chappell disagreed with his captaincy. Silence (on-air at least) from Chappell was the only response.
haha I love Tub- he didn't rate Kasp at all, did he?

Cast your mind back to the 2nd innings of the 2nd Test against the Windies in 1996 in Sydney. Kaspa didn't get a bowl at all.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Apart from the fact that Healy (1/10) seems universally disliked (and rightly so IMO) there's a fair variance of opinion when it comes to the Ch9 guys.

I used to rate Tony Grieg (5/10) but he's become really sour and pissed off for some reason recently, and I don't enjoy him as much as I used to. I've always thought Lawry (4/10) was a dud, but like a few people here I think he's improved recently. Maybe the three-man commentary booth has helped him.

I still think Tubs (2/10) is terrible. And while he was a bit refreshed by Slats' (7/10) entrance to the booth initially, in that they could reminisce a fair bit about not-so-long-ago playing days, it's become just about a caricature by now, and it's not that funny anyway. The worst is when he starts that drunk-guy-at-the-pub HAAAHAAAHAAA laugh at the slightest cheeky/blokey remark, particularly when they mike up players during the Twenty20's. Personally I don't think he offers much.

BTW, Slater's "are you ready to rock'n'roll?!?!" before Rogue Traders' act on Friday was hysterically bad. Not his fault but I laughed out loud. He's probably being groomed long term for a Nicholas role, and I reckon he could fill that admirably. Slater is generally good and generally I think his worst moments are when he's being brought down by the other guys.

I don't mind Nicholas (6/10), although it is easy to see what annoys him about other people. I kinda like him as the main MC of the commentary booth though, and I feel that being the first openly homosexual commentator, he was guaranteed to get a fair bit of stick, whether he deserved it or not.

Richie (6/10) used to be gold, but I've felt he's been past it for a while now, and it seems to me he's occasionally inexplicably confused, and age had to catch up with him sooner or later. He's always had a tendency to repetition, but as has been noted by other posters (not that you could miss it), he's definitely gotten way worse in this regard, again, to the point of caricature.

Ian Chappell (6/10) is a really mixed bag - it is true that he comes up with insights that aren't self-evident, and I actually like him quite a bit as a guy. But his obsession with providing a narrative for a game and ramming the point home constantly is really tiresome, as well as some of his more familiar tropes (To beat Australia, you must be as aggressive, bashing players for hours on end for not turning a comfortable run and a bit into a second run, etc, etc). His sense of humor is really hit and miss, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lol'd today when Chappelli said he always thought Kasprowicz had been underbowled in his international career and Slats and Taylor both had a chuckle and pointed out that they would be sure to let Steve Waugh know that Chappell disagreed with his captaincy. Silence (on-air at least) from Chappell was the only response.
Haha, commentary-box tension is both funny and cringeworthy.

pup11

International Coach
Hahaha, are you serious? I've always maintained that Bill Lawry praises high-calibre cricket, regardless of whether it comes from Australia or the opposition. Just so happens that Australia usually produce this more often, resulting in Lawry coming across as overly-critical towards touring sides. However, when they play good cricket, he is the first one to praise them.
Yeah pretty much agree with this and Bill also brings a touch of excitement and adds a bit to the entertainment value to the proceedings, so i really don't mind having him there, Nicholas is one man i can't stand when starts singing praises about how good a certain player is, it almost sounds gay!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't mind Nicholas (6/10), although it is easy to see what annoys him about other people. I kinda like him as the main MC of the commentary booth though, and I feel that being the first openly homosexual commentator, he was guaranteed to get a fair bit of stick, whether he deserved it or not.
You what? When did this happen? Or have I been on Mars? Not surprised nor do I really care either way but yeah, had no idea.

Nemesis27

Bill's commentary on Friday night was a standout, albeit with a few mistakes. He refered to Irfan Pathan as a wicketkeeper twice =/, among others, but at least he has excitement. An aging man thinking at 1000 km/h is bound to make a few mistakes :laugh: Why we don't hear a lot of commentary of the actual action by Richie, just a bit of aftermath analysis and the occasion timewarp.

I missed that 'lets get ready to rock' comment by Slater though. I was in the shower, so I don't know how bad it was.:blink:

IMO get rid of Healy, replace him with Langer, Greig is past his time, get Brayshaw or Gilchrist in there. Also theres always room for an opposition commentator.

Dusty Lee

IMO get rid of Healy, replace him with Langer, Greig is past his time, get Brayshaw or Gilchrist in there. Also theres always room for an opposition commentator.
I don't agree with you about Healey, I think he's fine, I do how ever think you could add Langer if you like and the rest of what you said is spot on.

JB to be the next Richie.

pasag

RTDAS
Healy was quite a bit better yesterday with no Australia playing. Still wasn't great, but above his usual standard.

Nemesis27

It's okay to have a patriotic commentator in the box, as we need the passion, However, Healy would be no better than a random bogan grabbed from the crowd with flip-flops, a beard , an Australian tanktop and the flag.Some of the things he says about Australia are ridiculously optimistic. Most blatant example would be at tea on the final day in the Adelaide test. Taylor or Slater, can't remember which said that India would draw.

Healy said that Brett Lee would take a double hatrick and give Australia enough time to win the game.:unsure:

I think Brayshaw, however has more of an interest in AFL commentary. I love listening to him on the radio during the footy season. I used to like him when the footy was ch.9 as well.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, patriotic is ok but when you start to talk rubbish because of it and when you're not the smartest guy to begin with, it's a recipe for disaster. Brayshaw would just be too busy to do anything besides the odd Twenty20 I reckon.

burr

State Vice-Captain
What's with the Brayshaw love around here? He's so Channel 9/Triple M: blokey boy's club culture making crude jokes that are so far from funny. Ugh, he works on the footy show. Need I say more. Keep him away from my lovely game of cricket, please!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's okay to have a patriotic commentator in the box, as we need the passion, However, Healy would be no better than a random bogan grabbed from the crowd with flip-flops, a beard , an Australian tanktop and the flag.Some of the things he says about Australia are ridiculously optimistic. Most blatant example would be at tea on the final day in the Adelaide test. Taylor or Slater, can't remember which said that India would draw.

Healy said that Brett Lee would take a double hatrick and give Australia enough time to win the game.:unsure:

I think Brayshaw, however has more of an interest in AFL commentary. I love listening to him on the radio during the footy season. I used to like him when the footy was ch.9 as well.
He was joking though.

Nemesis27

yes, i am fairly certain about that. However to even say something like that does more harm than good. IMO anyway