• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the modern left-arm quicks

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could he hit an upper limit of 140? Maybe, I certainly never saw it from him enough. The keeper usually stood up as he bowled gentle medium pace or cut his pace down even more for cutters. Certainly useful in that weird era of ODI cricket as many great bowlers retired as fast bowling was at a low while scores were getting ever bigger.
Sounds like you barely saw him and are judging purely based on a few poorly-understood instances. He was an opening swing bowler who almost never went below 130 unless he bowled slower balls. Later career he bowled Vaas cutters a lot in the middle overs which is probably all you remember

Flem274*

123/5
Bracken is an ODI ATG. I think it speaks to his quality that he is one of the few early era Chappell-Hadlee bowlers to make it through those fruit loop games with his reputation enhanced rather than diminished (the others being McGrath obviously, Bond and later on Vettori).

At absolute worst he is Australia's fourth greatest ODI quickie.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
If we're going down that road, I always had a soft spot for Ian Bradshaw in ODI cricket

He should have played more international cricket. He wouldn't have dominated yes, but he was better than the series of straight up and down 87mph merchants we had for so many years. Kenroy Peters was similarly robbed IMHO.

TheJediBrah

Very good bowler Bradshaw. If he was from another country not obsessed with out-and-out fast bowling he'd have played more. Always thought he was a better bat than his performances in international cricket showed too (outside of the Champions Trophy 9th wicket stand of course)

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Sounds like you barely saw him and are judging purely based on a few poorly-understood instances. He was an opening swing bowler who almost never went below 130 unless he bowled slower balls. Later career he bowled Vaas cutters a lot in the middle overs which is probably all you remember
I pretty much watched his entire career, he bowled slowly with the keeper up quite often. What the exact ratio of him bowling with keeper up/back was I don't know, I haven't investigated that. You seem quite passionate about it, go find out.

My point is simple, he was a very handy ODI bowler who would be great in the modern T20 game with his changes of pace. No idea why you have a tendency to argue over nothing.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Bracken is an ODI ATG. I think it speaks to his quality that he is one of the few early era Chappell-Hadlee bowlers to make it through those fruit loop games with his reputation enhanced rather than diminished (the others being McGrath obviously, Bond and later on Vettori).

At absolute worst he is Australia's fourth greatest ODI quickie.
Terrific bowler but 4th bets ODI quick for AUs...I don't know about that.

McGrath, Lee, Starc, Gillespie, Lillee come to mind just off the top off my head.

Having said that, the fact I am only naming 5 and those are debatable with Bracken, you oculd very well be right. He could be a top 5 ODI quick for Aus. Never thought of that :laugh:

TheJediBrah

I pretty much watched his entire career, he bowled slowly with the keeper up quite often. What the exact ratio of him bowling with keeper up/back was I don't know, I haven't investigated that. You seem quite passionate about it, go find out.

My point is simple, he was a very handy ODI bowler who would be great in the modern T20 game with his changes of pace. No idea why you have a tendency to argue over nothing.
Boredom? Why are you making such a big deal out of it?

You made comment displaying ignorance, got educated on it, move on. Live and learn.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't why some of you guys are so sensitive. A simple "thank you for correcting me" would be sufficient. I've learned a lot on this forum myself and it helps to have an open mind and not be so defensive, because then you don't learn anything.
The problem is that cricketsavant still thinks he's correct.

jcas0167

International Debutant

McGrath, Lee, Starc, Gillespie, Lillee come to mind just off the top off my head.

Having said that, the fact I am only naming 5 and those are debatable with Bracken, you oculd very well be right. He could be a top 5 ODI quick for Aus. Never thought of that :laugh:
Bruce Reid would be up there too, as a not-quite-modern left armer. A shame South African Brett Schultz was injury plagued as he was apparently similar pace to Donald.

Dirk Nannes seemed very handy in white-ball cricket too.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Out of that list, it is Mcgrath, Starc, Brett Lee and then Nathan Bracken in that order. In ODIs, Bracken was better than Gillespie and Lillee. So, 4th best is correct.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bruce Reid would be up there too, as a not-quite-modern left armer. A shame South African Brett Schultz was injury plagued as he was apparently similar pace to Donald.

Dirk Nannes seemed very handy in white-ball cricket too.
Proper Left arm fast TBH. Would have rivaled Akram if he stayed fit.

SL had another left arm quick named Nuwan Zoysa. Started as a rapid left armer bowling hooping inswingers before breaking down. Came back as a lesser paced line and length bowler. Very similar story to Bruce Reid (even their actions are similar). 108 wickets @ 29.75 Er of 4.5 and 64 test wickets at 33.7 he ended up with breaking down few times. If he was managed properly, wuld have been better than Vaas given the assets he had as a fast bowler.