• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranatunga: 'In my book, you can't chuck a legbreak'

twctopcat

International Regular
You really don't like the guy, we get it. Unless this thread is constructive, i don't see the point of slagging him off anymore.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
twctopcat said:
You really don't like the guy, we get it. Unless this thread is constructive, i don't see the point of slagging him off anymore.
I don't like Ranatunga. I have no problem with Murali, other than his action.

The idea of the thread was more that Ranatunga thinks he should own the world.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Au Contraire, a chance to have a go at that fat poor excuse for an International Captain is good.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Glad to see Anti-Ranatunga sentiment is rife here...

Im sure our respected man Arjuna would be screaming blue murder if Muralitharan was an Aussie...

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Marc71178 said:
a chance to have a go at that fat poor excuse for an International Captain is good.
Ahh, come on.

Ranatunga is just doing what he's always done - get on everyone's nerves, make outlandish statements and try to get the best results for Sri Lankan cricket.

He's been doing it for years and he won Sri Lanka a World Cup by doing it. He may be talking utter crap, but the guy led Sri Lanka to the World Cup and for that reason alone he is very far from being a "fat poor excuse for an international captain".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bennyr said:
Ranatunga is just doing what he's always done - get on everyone's nerves, make outlandish statements and try to get the best results for Sri Lankan cricket.
That's exactly why I called him what I did!

bennyr said:
He's been doing it for years and he won Sri Lanka a World Cup by doing it. He may be talking utter crap, but the guy led Sri Lanka to the World Cup and for that reason alone he is very far from being a "fat poor excuse for an international captain".
So leading your team off because you disagree with the umpire is the done thing now is it?

bennyr

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
So leading your team off because you disagree with the umpire is the done thing now is it?
No, but many of the great captains have behaved in an unsportsmanlike manner at times to get the best result for their team. Hutton and Lloyd slowed the over rate to their advantage, Waugh and Ian Chappell engaged in a bit of sledging. Ganguly engages in a combination of the above. For these guys and Ranatunga I think pushing the boundaries of what will be tolerated caome or comes with the fire in the belly that makes them great captains.

I'm not condoning his actions, I'm just saying they should be put in the context of a passionate and successful captain of his national team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It wasn't just one incident in that game that immediately springs to mind though, and some of them were far beyond mere unsportsmanship.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
OK Marc, maybe my memory isn't as good as yours.

I remember a rotund man who said and still says the sorts of things that get up the noses of people he wants to get up the noses of, who led his team off the field after an umpire made a bloody minded, arrogant call to no-ball one of his players, who used to call for a runner (to quote Ian Healy) "because he's too fat", and who was a dreadful time waster. On the positive side, he led a Sri Lankan team to punch well above it's weight in winning the World Cup and was a great innovator in the one day game.

Not an ornament to the game, but not a poor excuse for an international captain.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Au Contraire, a chance to have a go at that fat poor excuse for an International Captain is good.
What are you talking about ? He led the Sri Lankans to a world cup victory....do you have some horribly short memory or something ? If you are calling him that just because he used to get on the nerves of opposition teams mostly, then I think you are terribly biased. Lot of other captains have tried to do that. His actions that seemed like he was about to lead his team off was not something to write home about, but then lot of other players were guilty of antics similar to that... like the incident with Gatting and Shakoor Rana in Pakistan in 1987.

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
That's exactly why I called him what I did!

Even though the umpire was proved wrong later on ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
His Book certainly counts more (when you consider the guy lead an average Sri Lankan outfit to win a world cup) (and the most average team ever to win a world cup, beating a world class Aussie outfit in the final), than any rubbish book you might want to author. If you can come out with some thing constructive, we can progress somewhere in this thread. If its going to be another one of your mudslinging, crass threads, I suggest to the moderators close this thread now.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
I don't like Ranatunga. I have no problem with Murali, other than his action.

The idea of the thread was more that Ranatunga thinks he should own the world.
Giving your opinion on a given matter does not amount to "thinking you should own the world". Which school of Logic did you graduate from ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bennyr said:
He's been doing it for years and he won Sri Lanka a World Cup by doing it.
IIRC he won Sri Lanka a World Cup by beating a very classie Aussie outfit in the final. ie by scoring more runs than the opposition in lesser number of overs (which is the purpose of One day Cricket). Not by getting on other people's nerves!!