• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

R.I.P. Basil Butcher

tony p

First Class Debutant
r.i.p.

when you talk about great w.i. batsman, i do not believe he gets his due. played with sobers , kanhai, hunte etc, who were probably more pleasing to the eye.

even his greatest innings, 133 out of 229 allout in the second innings at lords in 1963 is largely forgotten due to cowdrey coming out to bat in a cast to save the game. without that innings w.i. would have lost the match and maybe the series.

well batted basil, 86 out.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
r.i.p.

when you talk about great w.i. batsman, i do not believe he gets his due. played with sobers , kanhai, hunte etc, who were probably more pleasing to the eye.

even his greatest innings, 133 out of 229 allout in the second innings at lords in 1963 is largely forgotten due to cowdrey coming out to bat in a cast to save the game. without that innings w.i. would have lost the match and maybe the series.

well batted basil, 86 out.
Always loved his bowling record too - five wickets in 44 Tests, all in the same innings - that is forgotten as well of course, overshadowed by Sobers' declaration

Days of Grace

International Captain
From Wikipedia:

He struggled until the 1963 tour of England, where he rediscovered his form by making 383 runs which included an innings of 133 from a team total of just 229, helping the West Indies to a draw at Lord's. The innings became legendary because during the interval he had received news through a letter that his wife had had a miscarriage back home in Guyana.[citation needed]