• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quiz for the MASTER CRICKET BOOK BUFF

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thinking loudly :

Kennedy died in November 1963. West Indies were in England till September and I would assume it was one of them who went to USA. If so, who could that be ? Frank Worrell is a likely name. Learie Constantine was involved in politics but he was settled in England by then and unlikely to talk about "England trip". There is also a strong hint that the guy was also seriously involved in writing or journalism.

One West Indian who was involved in cricket and journalism as well as politics was CLR James. He was in England from the 1930s but returned to West Indies in the mid-1950s or thereabouts. He is likely to have made a trip to England in 1963 and his Beyond the Boundary was published that year as well. So I'll go for him.

May be wrong, but a decent guess, I guess !
Are you asking a question ? :)

Spinksy

Banned
Thinking loudly :

Kennedy died in November 1963. West Indies were in England till September and I would assume it was one of them who went to USA. If so, who could that be ? Frank Worrell is a likely name. Learie Constantine was involved in politics but he was settled in England by then and unlikely to talk about "England trip". There is also a strong hint that the guy was also seriously involved in writing or journalism.

One West Indian who was involved in cricket and journalism as well as politics was CLR James. He was in England from the 1930s but returned to West Indies in the mid-1950s or thereabouts. He is likely to have made a trip to England in 1963 and his Beyond the Boundary was published that year as well. So I'll go for him.

May be wrong, but a decent guess, I guess !
That was My answer/Question. Is it CLR James, Beyond a Boundary which was his Auto biograghy? SJS, that is my question.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q1. Is it CLR James? ..... NO
Q2. Is Bradman the writer?.....NO

Q3. Was he a West Indian ?......NO

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

Q4. Did he ever play international cricket?....YES

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

Q4. Did he ever play international cricket?....YES

Q5. Is it Manly or is it Manley? .... NO - neither :)

Hint No. 1 :-

Laker did me beautifully once at the Oval. He was a chap who would prepare his jokes carefully and I never suspected anything when I got a call to the Oval office to answer the phone. The chap at the other end said he was a member of the French embassy. was very keen on cricket and wanted to know, if he alled up at the Oval, if he might have a few minutes talk with me.

I expressed surprise that a Frenchman should be interested in cricket but he told me a lot of it was played in his province and he was a keen reader of mine in the Sunday Times. I told him that I was pretty busy in the press box but if he called up, I would have a chat with him for a few minutes. He told me his name was Monseiur Bidet.

I spoke to John Arlott on my return and told him I had a surprising call from a Frenchman. When I told John the name he asked me if I knew what a bidet was. I said I did but still did not suspect anything, though John did.

Anon in the afternoon came a knock at our door and a call to me that I was wanted. The looks on the faces of most, who obviously were in on the affair, did not deter me as i went to the door. Sure enough there seemed to be a frenchman who grabbed me warmly by the hand and said he was 'very pleeezed" to meet me. He had on a black French cap, dark glasses and a black pointed beard. It was Laker and .... he had taken me in completely...​