• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It’s quite amazing how, after bans for Flem and Gnske respectively and a lot of warnings and infraction points, the message still hasn’t got through tbh.
I haven't seen any messages

send 15 more

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm warming up for a big Friday night of OT madness.......can I get the Australian Eastern time of Flems release? I do hope he can join me for the session.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It’s quite amazing how, after bans for Flem and Gnske respectively and a lot of warnings and infraction points, the message still hasn’t got through tbh.
I haven't been back long, what is the message?

The rules always used to be you could insult other members and make ***ual references but only if those posts were genuinely entertaining.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't been back long, what is the message?

The rules always used to be you could insult other members and make ***ual references but only if those posts were genuinely entertaining.
Two elements, I suppose.

We've had to take a harder line on ***ual references for Google Ads reasons, basically. Too many of them and Google disqualifies CW from ads, and the revenue that keeps the site running disappears.

As for the more "subtle" ones that probably wouldn't trigger Google implications in isolation, the old messaging that CW is supposed to be a family-friendly forum still holds.

cpr

International Coach
Was that message actually broadcast that plainly anywhere? If it was it passed me by. If it wasn't then it really should be - Most of us can respect rules when we understand and appreciate why they are there. We might disagree and flirt around the family friendly one, but the revenue stream would, for me anyway, make me think twice.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Hmm, not sure if there was ever an announcement per se, would send the message that that's the only reason mods care when the family forum reasons definitely apply. We've all very openly talked about it though. We even had to go back and purge the hottest women thread :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was that message actually broadcast that plainly anywhere? If it was it passed me by. If it wasn't then it really should be - Most of us can respect rules when we understand and appreciate why they are there. We might disagree and flirt around the family friendly one, but the revenue stream would, for me anyway, make me think twice.
"The message" Dan was talking about was in reference to the numerous warnings we gave the members he was talking about. So yes, it was broadcast to them via those warnings and then infractions before the actual bans. We haven't made a general announcement about it because we didn't want to make a big deal out of a handful of posters -- we contacted them specifically with warnings.

In terms of the "harder line" he mentioned, I guess we have, but

1. It's always been in the rules, we've just been trying to enforce it a bit more the couple of weeks

2. The reason we've been trying to enforce it a bit more isn't because the Google Ads policy changed, but because the nature of the posting in Off Topic has. In days gone by sometimes a ***ual reference would appear kind of organically as a response to something and it'd be fine because they were relatively rare, but at the moment a handful of people seem to have decided that making ***ual references is funny in itself, and are trying to make as many as possible just for the sake of it. This has meant we've had a lot more of them, which puts us in the firing line of the Google Ads policy in a way that we weren't before.

I don't speak for all the mods, but I genuinely couldn't care less on a personal level how many ***ual references people make on the forum. But if Google flagged us and decided we couldn't have ads anymore... and then James had to pay for that revenue gap out of pocket because a few people thought it was funny... then yeah I'd care a lot about that.

Last edited: