• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for English and Australian fans

Which of these is most important to Aussies and Poms?

• Winning the WTC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tom Flint

International Regular
Does anyone actually follow the WTC? I couldn't give a toss about it. If we got to a final I'd want to win and would gloat a little after, but never once look at the table or permutation of results needed or even care that it exists.
This is how most competitions or tournaments start out I guess

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The trouble with the WTC is it feels contrived.

Obviously you can't have a test world cup with group games etc but there needs to be a rethink.

Perhaps the top 8 rated teams could play a knockout tournament with the number one ranked team playing the number 8 in a one off 6 day test, so there is no chance of a draw.

You could then have semi finals and a final - with the whole thing played out over the year as the Davis Cup tennis used to be played.

Gob

International Coach
WTC is a great idea. It gives context to every test and probably encourage teams to go for wins

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Frankly I'd like Australia to beat South Africa in a home series first. One step at a time...

the big bambino

International Captain
The ashes away would be first. I'd rate the WTC and a series win in India equally and value all 3. I don't have any regards for rankings in any sport.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, I think I would take the FIFA WC over any of the options listed if, and only if, the win was achieved by humiliating England in the final.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, I think I would take the FIFA WC over any of the options listed if, and only if, the win was achieved by humiliating England in the final.
Well I'd take winning 80 million on powerball over any of the options listed.......about as much likelihood as your fantasy tbh

Daemon

I think every Test already had context personally
The WTC will get you followers (over time) for games that certain fans would ordinarily not follow imo. Say if the fate of India qualifying rested on a BD v NZ game or something. Suddenly you have tons of extra interest and buzz.

TheJediBrah

Pipe down in the back row there......kiwis don't get to throw banter about football with the big boys.
Best Rugby team of the recent decades

manage to make a couple of soccer world cups too despite no one in the country caring about the "sport"

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
*south africa
?????

Tri Nations and Rugby Championship
(the former started in 1996; latter 2012)

NZ played 130, won 97, drawn 2, lost 31
Aus P 130, W 55, D 6, L 69
SA P 126, W 54, D 5, L 67
Arg P 58, W 8, D 3, L 47

Titles
NZ 19
Aus 4
SA 4
Arg 0