• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for English and Australian fans

Which of these is most important to Aussies and Poms?

• Winning the WTC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No1 for 5 years > WTC > Ashes away > India away

The last 2 are very very close though. 10/11 in Aus and 2012 in India are Eng finest series wins of recent history but 10/11 was just amazing.....I was there for all 5 days of Adelaide and 3 days in Melbourne.....nothing will beat that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Done the first two so it’s old hat. WTC I don’t feel a huge attachment to yet but I suppose that will change in time. But really I want an England side to dominate like Oz did. That would be the pinnacle. For the @chris.hinton posts alone

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Definitely the Ashes away.

We place a disproportionate amount of prestige on the Ashes and because it happens so infrequently, to win in Australia is the ultimate prize for English cricket.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
No1 for 5 years > WTC > Ashes away > India away

The last 2 are very very close though. 10/11 in Aus and 2012 in India are Eng finest series wins of recent history but 10/11 was just amazing.....I was there for all 5 days of Adelaide and 3 days in Melbourne.....nothing will beat that.
Similar for me, though I might take the away Ashes over the WTC - depends a bit on the context. Beating a weak Oz team (a la India in 2019) wouldn't be as meaningful but beating a full strength side in a dramatic series (a la India in 2021) would be tough to beat.

Would obviously be delighted with any of these 4 achievements, mind.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely the Ashes away.

We place a disproportionate amount of prestige on the Ashes and because it happens so infrequently, to win in Australia is the ultimate prize for English cricket.
We have placed a disproportionate emphasis on the Ashes previously but I think thats something that as far as the team is concerned anyway will change under Stokes/BMac.....doesn't change the media/public perception though.

Surely you yourself wouldn't rate 1 series win over 5 years at the top of the tree though would? That surprises me.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's a poser.......would we trade ALL 4 poll options in exchange for wining the FIFA world cup this year? Tough one but I think it would be a yes from me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Here's a poser.......would we trade ALL 4 poll options in exchange for wining the FIFA world cup this year? Tough one but I think it would be a yes from me.
Definite yes from me. FIFA WC is the pinnacle of all sport

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Is this poll referring to the next instance only or the next five years only? I wouldn’t take winning the FIFA World Cup to never achieve any of the cricket options again in the history of the Universe.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose of those listed the only mountain left to climb from an Aus POV is the WTC. The rest are old hat, but I'd still choose the Ashes over anything else.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose of those listed the only mountain left to climb from an Aus POV is the WTC. The rest are old hat, but I'd still choose the Ashes over anything else.
Next year I’ll be putting a bet on both tbh. We should probably win the WTC even if we don’t pull off the Ashes, we’ll have great experience having just played 5 tests over there.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
We have placed a disproportionate emphasis on the Ashes previously but I think thats something that as far as the team is concerned anyway will change under Stokes/BMac.....doesn't change the media/public perception though.

Surely you yourself wouldn't rate 1 series win over 5 years at the top of the tree though would? That surprises me.
It's a difficult one. When we were no.1 under Strauss it didn't really mean much to me to be honest.

We were a really good side and if we're ranked number 1 or 2 does it matter that much.

But winning the Ashes away means everything- it shouldn't mean as much but to me it does.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Not for me.

I love football but it's all about LFC for me. Like many LFC fans from Liverpool, I'm pretty indifferent to the England team.

To be honest I couldn't be doing with all the jingoistic ****e in the media if we won the World Cup.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a difficult one. When we were no.1 under Strauss it didn't really mean much to me to be honest.

We were a really good side and if we're ranked number 1 or 2 does it matter that much.

But winning the Ashes away means everything- it shouldn't mean as much but to me it does.
That period with Strauss at No1 was very brief though.....this deal is for 5 years!!

In reality if Eng did ever achieve that feat it would probably mean a WTC win plus home and away Ashes victories in the time frame.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
That period with Strauss at No1 was very brief though.....this deal is for 5 years!!

In reality if Eng did ever achieve that feat it would probably mean a WTC win plus home and away Ashes victories in the time frame.
Yeah it probably would so in that case I'll go for number 1 in the world for 5 yrs :laugh:

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
1) Being world no1 for five years
2) Winning the Ashes away
3) Winning an away India series
4) Winning the WTC

ImpatientLime

International Regular
it carrys a crap load of prestige but its ultimately just very sub standard, scratch teams, managed by blokes not good enough for the club circuit.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Maybe I'm getting old (which I am), but I would prefer to see good entertaining, interesting cricket, Australia winning preferably, but I'm not fussed if we lose a match, including Ashes Tests.

Couldn't give a stuff about the WTC, or being no1.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone actually follow the WTC? I couldn't give a toss about it. If we got to a final I'd want to win and would gloat a little after, but never once look at the table or permutation of results needed or even care that it exists.