• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prodigies who came good and the waste men

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Speaking of waste men, I think clean strikers of the ball who happen to be thick as **** are granted too much sympathy. Don't think Bopara and Maxwell are 'unlucky' players. The idea that such players simply need another chance to be a bit more cautious is flawed imo.

vcs

Thought it was a lack of sufficient technical/defensive ability in Test cricket that did Bopara in, not a cavalier approach.

Burgey

Atul Sharma story is very strange
Were you active on here when ian pont came on and was explaining the regime he was putting him through? Bloke copped a fair bit of ridicule but he fronted up and answered a few questions which was good of him.

morgieb

I remember Unmukt Chand was hyped up quite a bit after the Under 19 world cup but never lived up to the expectations.
Was a fair bit of hype around Vijay Zol and Harmeet Singh (IIRC) too, and neither really made the grade.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The Hadlees are the only competent father son duo I can think of.
Lance and Chris Cairns
Chris and Stuart Broad
David and Johnny Bairstow
Geoff, Shaun and Mitch Marsh....oh wait
Aside from the Marsh lads, the younger generation in all those pairings is comfortably better imo
True though since Trundler gave 'competent' as a measure I'd say Broad and Bairstow senior qualify at least.

A stonger example could be IAK and MAK Pataudi.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
haha, i don't remember it but you were on your own with this one.

my loss of faith was probably right before he arrived - that 2012 sri lankan series where after 3 seasons in the team he averaged below 30.

sometimes i forget just how grim the 2008-2012 test side was, and then just as boult/southee announced themselves as a duo we decided to have an internal captaincy war.
Yeah, that was the point when I started the doom and gloom thread. By that point I kinda assumed that KW would - at best - evolve into a Fleming-class player and at worst fade away as so many other promising young bats had done.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Were you active on here when ian pont came on and was explaining the regime he was putting him through? Bloke copped a fair bit of ridicule but he fronted up and answered a few questions which was good of him.
Was around but didn’t take much notice

Read up on it last night and it’s a mystery

Played no formal cricket since school and that still seems to be the case

Very hard trainer who spared no expense getting top advice

Had promotional video made by GQ guy

Offered an IPL contract after undergoing testing at AIS

Didn’t sign contract or turn up to training

And a heap of other stuff

Whole thing seems pointless unless he got some endorsements out of it

TheJediBrah

Is it too early to mention Austin Waugh as an underachieving prodigy...being Steve Waugh's son he should already be playing for NSW as he'll be 20 in November ;)
From what I've heard he isn't really all that great, and never really has been. Just his name that's garnered a lot of attention.