• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prithvi Shaw suspended for doping violation

Tom Flint

International Regular
I'm not sure the performance enhancement regime is applicable to cricket. Not sure if most or any of the game's skill sets are enhanced by the prohibited substances. Can't see what he'd take that would enhance his batting.
I said this exact thing here a couple of years ago when I think it was yasir Shah or another leg spinner gave a positive test. I asked what could a leggie gain from ped's that would be worth the risk of getting caught and ruining your reputation for the rest of your career. But I got roundly ridiculed lol

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think it should be ridiculed at all but the view doesn't take into account that being able to focus is a big part of being able to execute your skills. Drugs can definitely help with that. It also doesn't take into account that having endurance is another big part of being able to execute your skills.

Am basically repeating *****'s list but the main point is having skills and being able to effectively execute them over a whole test match are two different things.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does the ICC have a doping policy? Because it would be pretty cool if the BCCI is actually ahead of the curve on this.

Would like to know what the BCCI's doping is based on too.
They're behind the curve because the other boards know how to mask their doping properly.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I hope the young lad gets a proper hearing, but if this was intentional it's a laughingly short ban.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the article suggested he'd received the ban from the BCCI. I'm not aware if there's going to be any further hearing

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think the article suggested he'd received the ban from the BCCI. I'm not aware if there's going to be any further hearing
I was just thinking along the lines of can / will they check if it really came from a cough syrup more closely. The article suggests they have pretty much accepted his explanation but they might be checking it further internally if they have a way to.

the big bambino

International Captain
I said this exact thing here a couple of years ago when I think it was yasir Shah or another leg spinner gave a positive test. I asked what could a leggie gain from ped's that would be worth the risk of getting caught and ruining your reputation for the rest of your career. But I got roundly ridiculed lol
Thats it and I had a similar experience when Warne got busted. I saw *****'s list and its fair enough though I think anything that assists in injury management shouldn't necessarily be thought PED. More performance enabling. ***** mentioned substances that enhance calmness and I thought how that might have assisted someone like Rick Darling who used to throw up (so the story goes) waiting to bat. But how would you measure the enhanced performance in a cricketing sense? I mean such a drug might stop Darling getting so worked up but how would you attribute any additional runs scored to the drug?

Endurance drugs are another matter though. In a cricketing sense it might enable a pace bowler to keep going longer and maintain his speeds longer. So the no. of overs bowled and average speed obtained is something you could measure I suppose, in that example.

cnerd123

likes this
The biggest driver for PED rules isn't to stop players from getting an in-game advantage. You can still use supplements like protein, vitamins, creatine. You can eat healthier food. You can take approved medication. These are all very literally performance enhancing substances. None of these are banned.

The goal is to keep players safe from themselves. The PEDs on the list are banned because they're effective and dangerous when not used in a controlled manner. The fear is that by allowing athletes to use these substances, you'll get a situation where someone doesn't know when to stop, and will either overdose or do serious harm to their health in the long term.

By allowing these PEDs you also create this new metagame in elite sports, where success it's not just tied into training with the best coaches/facilities or having the best equipment, but also having the best PEDs. Not that this doesn't already exist, but at least there is risk associated to it. Legalise it, and you open up a dangerous world where people could kill themselves trying to get an edge over the competition, and where breaking into professional sports by definition requires you to dabble in this world. Again, not that this doesn't already exist, and some sports are worse than others, but that is why we have the worldwide effort here to stop it.

Cricket, by it's nature, isn't a sport the benefits hugely from abusing PEDs, and so that's why we aren't as exposed to this as other sports are. But with heavier workloads, especially in the franchise T20 world, and more money to be earned than ever before, it's only natural that young athletes are going to be looking for that extra few percent performance increase that these drugs can give. So it's a good thing that this is being taken as a serious matter. Nip it in the bud, don't wait for it to become a real problem.

the big bambino

International Captain
The biggest driver for PED rules isn't to stop players from getting an in-game advantage. You can still use supplements like protein, vitamins, creatine. You can eat healthier food. You can take approved medication. These are all very literally performance enhancing substances. None of these are banned.

The goal is to keep players safe from themselves. The PEDs on the list are banned because they're effective and dangerous when not used in a controlled manner. The fear is that by allowing athletes to use these substances, you'll get a situation where someone doesn't know when to stop, and will either overdose or do serious harm to their health in the long term.

By allowing these PEDs you also create this new metagame in elite sports, where success it's not just tied into training with the best coaches/facilities or having the best equipment, but also having the best PEDs. Not that this doesn't already exist, but at least there is risk associated to it. Legalise it, and you open up a dangerous world where people could kill themselves trying to get an edge over the competition, and where breaking into professional sports by definition requires you to dabble in this world. Again, not that this doesn't already exist, and some sports are worse than others, but that is why we have the worldwide effort here to stop it.

Cricket, by it's nature, isn't a sport the benefits hugely from abusing PEDs, and so that's why we aren't as exposed to this as other sports are. But with heavier workloads, especially in the franchise T20 world, and more money to be earned than ever before, it's only natural that young athletes are going to be looking for that extra few percent performance increase that these drugs can give. So it's a good thing that this is being taken as a serious matter. Nip it in the bud, don't wait for it to become a real problem.
All good points and if cricket emphasised these aspects (long term health, dangers of unregulated consumption, examples set for aspiring players) as much or more as performance enhancenment they'd have enough justification for penalising their use.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We can talk all we want about potential uses for drugs in cricket but let's be real there's no advantage of cough syrup

The biggest driver for PED rules isn't to stop players from getting an in-game advantage.
I think it probably is tbh. Keeping athletes safe is important too of course

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
All good points and if cricket emphasised these aspects (long term health, dangers of unregulated consumption, examples set for aspiring players) as much or more as performance enhancenment they'd have enough justification for penalising their use.
The ICC has simply adopted the WADA code it seems. They're just banning substances that are banned in other sports around the world with the same reasoning that they use. Internationally recognised standard with lots of science and research behind it.

Obv there is plenty of debate regarding what WADA considers to be PEDs, and the whole philosophy of trying to protect athletes from themselves in terms of drug use whilst simultaneously encouraging them to put their bodies on the line for us in the name of entertainment gets attacked too. But these are debates the ICC shouldn't be getting themselves involved in IMO.