• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool D - France, Ireland, Italy, Canada, Romania

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
They're not really the same arrangement as WI or what you're proposing for an NA rugby side. They're more exhibition sides that get together on special occasions for countries where a popular interest in the sport already exists. And I'm not really sure about the extent to which either side has really spurred the development of the game within their constituent countries (though they are both undeniably immensely profitable).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They're not really the same arrangement as WI or what you're proposing for an NA rugby side. They're more exhibition sides that get together on special occasions for countries where a popular interest in the sport already exists. And I'm not really sure about the extent to which either side has really spurred the development of the game within their constituent countries (though they are both undeniably immensely profitable).
And popular amongst fans who have no problem cheering for a conglomerate side,

Even if things started like the Lions with the odd tour here and there that would be enough for the time being. Can evaluate after some years to see whether to grow it further or walk away from it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm ambivelent. I kinda like Hurricane's idea since he compared it to the Lions. But I think the USA success in 7s shows that the US ought to aim a bit higher and try to make it on their own. I wouldn't want 7s to take over as the dominant form of the game in the US because it'd be seen as the version where the 'proper' USA team got to play.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'd need to see a video before condemning that. Could easily be incidental as he swiped for the ball.

ripper868

International Coach
Canada putting in a performance right now v Italy. 20-18 with 4 mins remaining. They dont need the Americans.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Canada putting in a performance right now v Italy. 20-18 with 4 mins remaining. They dont need the Americans.
Really? Seriously you want to stir that hornets nest.

They would have won with a combined USA / Canada team instead of losing. No question.

Canada are worse than 1991. Now that is somewhat of an unfair statement as they had a once in a lifetime first five eighth playing for them. But my point is that they are not progressing into being a top tier team in the last 24 years. Even though they beat Wales 24 years ago. So your statement about just give these teams twenty years and let them improve isn't necessarily correct. Because Canada have gone backwards.

I also think last nights game proved my point perfectly in other ways.

7-8 of the Canadian team were international rugby standard and 5-6 of them had no business being on that paddock.

The Canadian First five - Hiroyama is probably the worst first five in the tournament. He certainly would not get a game in our NPC competition let alone a Super XV team. Muffed kicks that missed the posts by 30 metres. Completely losing the handle on passes that dribbled out of his hands. Knock ons, Handling errors. And he is weedy so couldn't take it into contact effectively. Whoever the USA have at 1st 5 would be a significant upgrade.

Then we had stellar performances by our left wing and centre, those two would look at home playing for Scotland or a much better side.

Canada's half back was also top drawer and impressed me so much.

It is frustrating as a fan to cheer for a team where only half the team is up to snuff hence I came up with this idea many years ago while watching a Canada vs USA rugby match live at thunderbird stadium in Vancouver. Half of the Canadian team were very good and 4-5 of the US guys that day were as tough as teek.

Let's agree to disagree about this idea Ripper I appreciate your point that it would infringe on the patriotism of both teams and that neither would ever agree to it. But this is the Internet where you get pontificate any theory you want and that is my view for what it is worth. I am not heavily invested in Canadian rugby but I do cheer for them and sincerely have their best interests at heart.

I had some drunken conversation while playing for a Canadian club side and was telling an old timer that the Canadian national team needed a New Zealand coach. He wouldn't have a bar of it and he was right. Like I said on cricsim Canadian rugby is Canadian rugby. Once you have seen them play a game then you know they have a distinct style. A New Zealand coach would ruin that. Canadians randomly run it from anywhere and pull of miraculous tries (just like one of theirs today). I know I am not going to get my way about them joining up with the USA so long may they continue to play Canadian rugby - that try they scored from long distance today warmed my heart. A New Zealand side would not have scored that try.
Each team in this world cup plays the game differently and has its own style.

As the Canadian Prime Minister once said, or actually said many times on the election campaign...Vive la Canada.
It doesn't translate properly into English within any of the meaning it has in French - but I know you know what it means.

I hope Canada continues to prosper and you will have to cut me some slack if this middle aged gentlemen wants to see Canada break on to the big stage.

Canada rugby is played by real Canadians. No ex pats (except for me) were on the club side I played for.

Canadian cricket is also played a lot differently than New Zealanders play cricket. And they should never change in that department either.

Canada is a proud country and they did themselves proud today. They nearly beat a six nations team.

They will regret not going for the try after 70 minutes...but such is life.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Happy to agree to disagree mate, as previously stated I admire you're passion on the subject, but just can't see any logic in it

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah sporting success isn't a linear sum, you can't just add a halfway decent team and another halfway decent team and get a decent team. There's loads of other factors at play and you lose a lot of that nationalistic pride.

Meridio

International Regular
Ireland not exactly convincing vs Italy there. Italy let down by their lineout and a poor bit of finishing by the guy running for the corner. As expected then, will be Ireland vs France to decide who tops the group.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah sporting success isn't a linear sum, you can't just add a halfway decent team and another halfway decent team and get a decent team. There's loads of other factors at play and you lose a lot of that nationalistic pride.
No but Adam Voges + Michael Clarke > Nathan Lyon. Linear sums work!

Niall

International Coach
That was awesome from Ireland, shame about the injuries though, some huge losses. Sean O Brien was immense, but will need a miracle to escape a ban.

NZ going to need a serious off day to lose to this French side.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That was awesome from Ireland, shame about the injuries though, some huge losses. Sean O Brien was immense, but will need a miracle to escape a ban.

NZ going to need a serious off day to lose to this French side.
I don't think we are going to start ghambiring about France's chances. However everyone I know rates France. It is true that prior to 2011 and 2007 they had done better in the 6 Nations so theoretically they should be easy beats. But they have two things going for them other teams don't.

1) Scrummaging. Reputedly or arguably if you prefer the best scrum in the tournament. Scrum penalties mean points on the board.

2) They know if their hearts they can beat us. To become a great French player you must beat the All Blacks. It is part of their blood to believe that. They will turn up and they will play better against us than they would against anyone else in this quarterfinal. People wrote them off before the 2011 final.