• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting won't let it rest.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
ok, so it wasn't my last word

greg said:
OK, I'll cancel the bold type :-)

I just thought that if IYO it would soon be illegal, you might be able to enlighten us on what 'it' is!
Beating Australia

shankar

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
yeah, but he didn't get Sachin or Laxman, did he?
Actually, he did get both of their wickets. But neither of the dismissals had anything to do with the pitch.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Laxman was out to Hauritz wasn't he? Courtesy of a brilliant catch?
edit: checking the scorecard, both Tendulkar and Laxman were out to Hauritz - Tendulkar off a paddle sweep, and Laxman that caught and bowled.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay let's clear this up then; the pitch in Mumbai was NOT up to Test standard BUT Australia played it poorly on the last day (Adam Gilchrist's lofted sweep to the fielder on the fence, anyone?). They definitely should have been able to chase just over 100 on it.

shankar

International Debutant
Dasa said:
Laxman was out to Hauritz wasn't he? Courtesy of a brilliant catch?
edit: checking the scorecard, both Tendulkar and Laxman were out to Hauritz - Tendulkar off a paddle sweep, and Laxman that caught and bowled.
Ah you're right. I remember both the dismissals but had the bowlers mixed-up.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hilarious...while stats prove his point Australia are widely viewed as the biggest stretchers of the rules and "fair play" in the history of the game

Its also possibly the worst timed whinge I have ever sighted

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Memo to Ponting - shut up and get on with it
By Richard Boock
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10343444

Remarkable. Just when we thought we had seen it all; an Australian captain not only acknowledging the existence of a "spirit within the game", but even accusing the opposition of not playing within it.

Where will it all end, you might ask, and who knows? Brett Lee condemning beamers? Shane Warne promoting fidelity? What about the chances of Glenn McGrath discovering humility?

If ever England needed confirmation that they have Australia on the run, it came with Ricky Ponting's bleating after his fourth test run-out, and this week's subsequent complaints about the use of replacement fieldsmen.

Not since 1932-33, when Bill Woodfull made his famous crack about Douglas Jardine's great leg-theory, has an Australian skipper ventured so publicly into the field of morality, and with so little justification.

The most besieged Australian captain since Kim Hughes, Ponting was fined 75 per cent of his match fee for remonstrating with the umpire and shouting at the England balcony following his second innings dismissal.

But possibly more amusing have been his ensuing comments, and particularly the notion that his team have been somehow disadvantaged by England's unwillingness to work within Australia's home-made code of ethics.

"I think it is an absolute disgrace that the spirit of the game is being treated like that," he told a Melbourne radio station this week.

"[Duncan] Fletcher has known right through the summer this is something we haven't been happy with, but it's continued.

"He knows it's something that's got under our skins and I've had enough of it, and I let him know that, and most of his players too."

Ponting's anger involved the belief that England were deliberately spelling their bowlers for the maximum allowable time, so that they could receive massages and physiotherapy before and after bowling.

"It's within the rules of the game, but it's just not within the spirit of the game, which is what we're all trying to uphold," he said, without so much of a choking noise, or a burst of sarcastic laughter.

Hypocrisy apparently knows no bounds within the Australian dressing room.

No sooner had Ponting made his comments, than McGrath, who patronised England with his "5-0" jibe at the start of the series, was jumping in with support and perpetuating the myth that the Australians had a cricketing conscience.

"Test cricket to us is played by the guys who are in the team," he said. "If you are not fit enough or you are looking at ways to keep your players fresh, I think that's not quite in the spirit of the game."

Well, he should know, shouldn't he?

After all, it was McGrath who opted to bowl full pitched and wide outside off-stump when the heat went on at Brisbane four years ago to prevent Chris Cairns from stealing the first test on the wire.

And who spat in the direction of Brian Lara a few months previously?

Faced with playing within the spirit, or the rules of the game, Australian captains have invariably settled for the latter - as demonstrated by Greg Chappell's decision to employ an underarm bowler in 1982, Steve Waugh's go-slow against the West Indies at the 1999 World Cup, and again with his instructions to bowl wide of the crease at Brisbane in 2001.

The ultimate irony is that the existing time constraints on players were only imposed after the antics of the 1981 Australians and, in particular, fast-bowler Dennis Lillee, who took to enjoying a shower and a change of shirt at the end of each spell.

Ponting probably doesn't appreciate it at the moment.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top_Cat said:
Okay let's clear this up then; the pitch in Mumbai was NOT up to Test standard BUT Australia played it poorly on the last day (Adam Gilchrist's lofted sweep to the fielder on the fence, anyone?). They definitely should have been able to chase just over 100 on it.
Thank you. That is what I am saying all along. And I am not a big fan of captains saying they lost because of the pitches. That should be the fans, not the captains. AFAIC, the conditions are same for both sides, the pitches were bad for both sides (at Darwin, at Mumbai and at NZ when India were there) and the side that won in those instances were the ones that played the better cricket in those difficult conditions. That is why I don't like Sourav and Ponting on this issue. They both make too many excuses and never want to change their side or blame it.