• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting Queries Murali test

Sudeep

International Captain
I have mixed views regarding Ponting's statement on Lara, but here on Murali, I totally agree with him.

First and foremost, Ponting has a right to speak his mind out. If he can't speak what he thinks and wants, why do people interview him?

Murali's action bowling the 'doosra' should be tested under match conditions, no doubt.

I am not suspecting the tests that he has undergone, but I think that a couple of overs of bowling can't be used to test a bowler's action. You have to see him under match conditions, bowling extensively over a period of time.

For example: Murali would have been cautious while bowling the 'doosra' in the lab. He would've known what the limitations are, and what he is doing. But during a match, it could be entirely different. One can get so engrossed in trying to pick up a wicket, that he doesn't know to extent he is bending his arm. I'm not saying Murali is doing that. He may not be bending more than 10 degrees, but you can't ne so sure that he isn't bending more just through lab tests. He needs to be tested under regular match conditions.

Sudeep

International Captain
I don't think it has been officially banned yet.

Murali has just been warned that if he's called again by any umpire, he risks a ban.

The 'doosra' is still to undergo more scrutiny.

The Sri Lankan board sent a report to the ICC yesterday, which the panel will review, and given it's decision based on it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
the rate with which ponting is making statemets over other players.

He's captain of his country, of course if there's an issue in World Cricket, he's going to be asked for his opinion. Vaughan is regularly quoted over here on things.

That's 2 whole opinion he's expressed in 2 weeks - what a rate that is!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its about time someone started questioning the ICC, regularly anyway.
The ICC just can't keep going on sweeping issues under the table & hoping that Captains will ignore it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
He's captain of his country, of course if there's an issue in World Cricket, he's going to be asked for his opinion. Vaughan is regularly quoted over here on things.

Could be worse...

He could end up going into advertising over his 'outbursts'.

Picture Brian Lara, 400 not out to his name, walking back from the middle. The crowd are all yelling, only suddenlythe scene shifts. The smiles have turned to sneers, the laughter to tears, the joy to derision, the adoration to hate. In the middle of it all stands a man dressed all in white sporting a baggy green cap, surveying the scene. In his hand is a chain. The camera pans along the chain to the ferocious beast at the other end - a snorting, snarling koala straining at the leash. At his feet are the world's hacks, hanging on every word. The man in white has his right arm outstretched, the thumb turned downwards.

The voiceover is simple - just six words.

"You know when you've been Pontinged."

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tim said:
Its about time someone started questioning the ICC, regularly anyway.
The ICC just can't keep going on sweeping issues under the table & hoping that Captains will ignore it.
Tim? Tim Saunders?? Is that you???

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
I know. That's why I asked. Tim Saunders is English but lives in New Zealand.

Are you sure you're not him? Think carefully.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im sure "cricket australia" will put a gag on him soon or force him to speak about more PC issues... then tell him to go to Zimbabwe uzw.

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:

but vaughan ot the other captians don't make any bad remarks that are out of place like the 2 ponting has made in 2 weeks

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
koch_cha said:
but vaughan ot the other captians don't make any bad remarks that are out of place like the 2 ponting has made in 2 weeks
You mean "remarks that you don't agree with".

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Well, that's a fair point. What are the opinions of the other captains in world cricket regarding the Murali affair and the testing?

a massive zebra

International Captain
koch_cha said:
Well Vaughan did say some pretty dumb things like 'the achievement that the team has achieved is a fantastic achievement' and 'the youngsters are very young.'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slow Love™ said:
Well, that's a fair point. What are the opinions of the other captains in world cricket regarding the Murali affair and the testing?
Until they're asked I wouldn't know!