• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting on West Indies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Whenever Ponting is reported in the media, it always seems to bring out the Punter haters, regardless of what was said.
One doesn't have to be a Ponting Hater to point out Ponting's IQ level when he talks to media. Ponting plays for a team that is argubly one of the great teams of all time, for him winning a game might be trivial, but for a team like WI it's not.

I wont be surprised if they celebrate a trivial win against an all time great team. Unfortunately Ponting doesn't have the IQ to think along those lines. He is a great batsman though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One doesn't have to be a Ponting Hater to point out Ponting's IQ level when he talks to media. Ponting plays for a team that is argubly one of the great teams of all time, for him winning a game might be trivial, but for a team like WI it's not.

I wont be surprised if they celebrate a trivial win against an all time great team. Unfortunately Ponting doesn't have the IQ to think along those lines. He is a great batsman though.
I'm not doing that Ponting comes across as a doofus a lot of the time when he's talking to the media, but winning a game should be the most important thing in the captains mind. It doesn't matter whether a guy is captaining Australia or the West Indies, winning should be their prime goal. To say that winning isn't as important for Australia as it is for the West Indies is totally ludicrous.

social

Obviously Ponting is the only International Captain cabable of that, all other captains are just dumb.8-)

You seem to be trying to make a point that Ponting is immature because he responded to a jouno's questions in a relatively sensible and coherent fashion

That makes sense - not

pup11

International Coach
I think everyone questions Australian team's on-field behaviour but i still remember the group stage game Australia v/s West Indies (in Champions Trophy 06) where Gayle and Samuels just behaved like dickheads and they constantly went after Michael Clarke, but Clarkie really behaved very well in that situation.

Probably Punter was also talking about the same incident, West Indian team definately has a temperamental problem, IMO.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
That's pretty much the only instance where they've acted like that. Pretty harsh that when they're usually more like Clarke behaved.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not going to get into the Ponting issue, but just on the Clarke incident, I'm a fan of Clarke but I refuse to believe he didn't say anything to Gayle that day. There's no way Gayle would have acted as psycho as he did (was crazy tbh) if nothing serious was said.

pup11

International Coach
What possibly could have Clarkie said, that made Gayle and Samuels behave that badly because their behaviour was way over the top (no withstanding whatever Pup said).

Perm

I'm not going to get into the Ponting issue, but just on the Clarke incident, I'm a fan of Clarke but I refuse to believe he didn't say anything to Gayle that day. There's no way Gayle would have acted as psycho as he did (was crazy tbh) if nothing serious was said.
Exactly, Gayle was going absolutely berserk in comparison to his usual demeanour. I don't have any idea what Clarke said but it must have acted like a real trigger for Gayle, because he just turned crazy in next to no time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What possibly could have Clarkie said, that made Gayle and Samuels behave that badly because their behaviour was way over the top (no withstanding whatever Pup said).
Being called a "second class citizen" can set some people, esp. if they come from a place where racist divides had existed in the past......

And for sure, it has to be something bad to get someone like Gayle off like that. I mean, he is not Ponting or Sreesanth or Nel, is he, to go off on every little thing that is said??

And while I have to say that Ponting is not the one who should be talking about attitudes and behaviour in cricket, I have to say that his points are valid nonetheless. Windies do have guys with suspect temperament and commitment and I am surprised he didn't mention Chanderpaul and Sarwan... Esp. Chanderpaul. He has looked like how Carl Hooper was int he series against Australia in 1999...... Totally listless and not at all focussed. It seems to me that he just doesn't give a damn about the WC.......

social

People should also remember that the only team warned for OTT sledging in Oz in 2005/06was the West Indies at Adelaide.

It was about the only time in a totally one-sided series that they were in the contest and they lost the plot.

Australia are no saints but neither are some others

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
People should also remember that the only team warned for OTT sledging in Oz in 2005/06was the West Indies at Adelaide.

It was about the only time in a totally one-sided series that they were in the contest and they lost the plot.

Australia are no saints but neither are some others
But I can easily think of 10 to 12 instances in only the tests that I have watched where Australia, RSA and NZ SHOULD have been warned for OTT sledging but weren't. The easiest thing for match referees to do is to warn subcontinental and windies sides about behaviour. You can almost be certain that the same standards aren't applied to Australia or RSA or NZ......

pup11

International Coach
honestbharni, Mate how do you know Pup called Gayle a "second class citizen" because i haven't heard anything in that regard anywhere.

But even if Pup said that to Gayle then he could have controlled himself in a lot better manner, Gayle was almost breathing down at Clarke's neck and was saying all sorts of nasty things and later Samuels also joined in.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
honestbharni, Mate how do you know Pup called Gayle a "second class citizen" because i haven't heard anything in that regard anywhere.

But even if Pup said that to Gayle then he could have controlled himself in a lot better manner, Gayle was almost breathing down at Clarke's neck and was saying all sorts of nasty things and later Samuels also joined in.
First of all, how do you KNOW that whatever was said was NASTY....

Secondly, it came out in all papers. GAyle said something like "any system that doesn't penalize the instigator cannot be a good one. I cannot say more because they will fine me again if I do"....

And thirdly, it must have been something THAT bad to set someone like Gayle off.... So I think it is all very plausible. Perhaps it didn't happen that way, but I think it is more probable that it did happen.

Perm

The report in the papers after the game said that Clarke called Gayle a "second class citizen". Now beleive what you will, I don't think Clarke is that kind of person but he obviously said something to fire Gayle up.

Blaze

Banned
But I can easily think of 10 to 12 instances in only the tests that I have watched where Australia, RSA and NZ SHOULD have been warned for OTT sledging but weren't. The easiest thing for match referees to do is to warn subcontinental and windies sides about behaviour. You can almost be certain that the same standards aren't applied to Australia or RSA or NZ......
great. The cricket web famous racial card has been pulled out again..

pup11

International Coach
As for sub-continent teams they abuse as much as the Aussies or for that matter any other team in the world, but the thing is more than half of the time they abuse in Hindi or Urdu.

The on-field umpires can't understand what they said and they just report the incidence thinking the player might have said something awful and hence they get penalized more than other players (atleast thats my opinion).

Perm

As for sub-continent teams they abuse as much as the Aussies or for that matter any other team in the world, but the thing is more than half of the time they abuse in Hindi or Urdu.

The on-field umpires can't understand what they said and they just report the incidence thinking the player might have said something awful and hence they get penalized more than other players (atleast thats my opinion).
You have a point actually, if the insults and abuse are hurled in Hindi or Urdu then the umpires generally won't be able to understand what is being said. However, I do think that the umpires would pull up any sort of verbal abuse that is being aimed at the batsman and taken too far, you don't have to be able to understand what is being said in order to penalise a side. Besides, the batsman won't be able to understand the Hindi or Urdu insults so it shouldn't affect him too much.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
great. The cricket web famous racial card has been pulled out again..
What's racist there???? So you think Slater didn't cross any lines when he went up against Dravid or do you think the Aussies appeal lesser than India or that they try to intimidate the umpires lesser than Indians??????? I have seen non stop chatter and sledging by Aussies against India when they toured here in 2004 and yet, no one is gonna warn them for it.

It is not the fault of Australia but for some reason, the refs have been like that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Neither can the players. So how does it affect anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.