• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing with fire...

shankar

International Debutant
" Sachin is great in the mind but 10-12 years of international cricket is catching up. Rahul Dravid has always played better than Sachin abroad. Sachin hasn't won much for India against us and we know that. Actually, Sourav Ganguly is the best bet for the Indians." Anwar, who holds the world record for the highest score in one day internationals, said.

I just feel Anwar is playing with fire here. In the past there have been many people who've said stuff like this abt. Sachin before a tour and seriously regret it later.
I'm not saying that what Anwar has said is wholly incorrect. But this kind of thing just really seems to gee him up.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shankar said:
In the past there have been many people who've said stuff like this abt. Sachin before a tour and seriously regret it later.
Or even during a tour - I seem to remember he was being written off after 3 Tests of the Australia series...

Craig

World Traveller
...And which he scored over 300 runs in the next Test although he was dropped in his 240 odd....

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
So therefore it doesnt count?? :lol:
Correct. It doesn't count. Actual scores don't count. Wickets for a bowler especially. Unless I say so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sadly if you said so you would be likely to come-up with completely random and unreliable data, as demonstrated by the post above and anything else with any referance to dropped catches. Hence it is far safer if someone who actually knows how to do something like that seriously takes the matter in hand.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Playing with fire...

marc71178 said:
Or even during a tour - I seem to remember he was being written off after 3 Tests of the Australia series...
And after 1 et demi in England, and about 50 other times in his career.
Tendulkar has faults; he will always have new faults discovered. But at an equal rate, he will also correct some of the pre-identified ones.
Saeed is indeed playing a dangerous, and bascially completely pointless, game. What does he stand to gain by this?

Prof_Lupin

Cricket Spectator
Absolutly nothing. Sachin is good. I remember in WC 03 when Shohaib Akhtar said that he'll bowl Sachin's stumps clear off, and than guess what happened ;). He should've batten to a magnificent 150+ if not for his injury and than 98..

yohanna

Banned
When it comes to Sachin Tendulkar, Indians seems to be hyper-sensitive, specially when some Pakistani has something not so positive to say about SRT.This thread is one proof of that.

Untill recent past i've seen post by Indian on this site suggesting that Sachin should be dropped from Pak tour (obviously that's stupid) or some members were pointing to the fact that Sachin is no the "attacking Player " he used to be and something is wrong with him now. I wonder then why people are targetting Anwar when Anwar clearly said that Sachin is great but that 10-12 years of cricket is catching him. Isn't that true???

Anwar is a shy guy and isn't known for playing mind games.If Anwar had said that Sachin is no longer good and would fail in Pakistan then i would have said
that he's wrong, but when Anwar says that Pakistan fears Ganguly and Dravid more than they fear Sachin then it makes perfect sense.

Why? Coz Ganguly has won more matches for India against Pakistan than Sachin. As far as Dravid is concerned, he has been in awesome form lately, surely thease two guys are more pose more threat to Pakistan than Sachin does. It doesn't mean that Sachin will fail in Pak or won't score a ton, but to me and most Pak fans Dravid remains the biggest threat to Pak.

Just to give you an example, in '80's whenever India toured Pakistan, it wasn't Sunil Gawaskar that was suppose to be the biggest threat to Pak, it was always Moh Amarnath.The Pak pacers considered getting Amarnath out as the most challenging task then.

yohanna

Banned
Well i'm a big fan of Sachin, i was on the stadium when Sachin made his debut in Pakistan.Now that Sachin is playing in Pakistan after a long time i hope he's in his best fom.

A famous Pak cricket columnist recently said that Sachin might be saving his best fo Pak tour:saint:

shankar

International Debutant
yohanna said:
When it comes to Sachin Tendulkar, Indians seems to be hyper-sensitive... I wonder then why people are targetting Anwar when Anwar clearly said that Sachin is great but that 10-12 years of cricket is catching him. Isn't that true???
Anwar is a shy guy and isn't known for playing mind games.
shankar said:
I'm not saying that what Anwar has said is wholly incorrect. But this kind of thing just really seems to gee him up.
If you'd read my post you would see that I dont completely disagree with saeed or accuse him of playing mind games.I know he said that in a good-natured way and not to needle sachin.I just said it might be dangerous coz this kind of thing has happened in the past.It usually results in sachin playing out of his skin and disproving such statements.

V Reddy

International Debutant
shankar said:
If you'd read my post you would see that I dont completely disagree with saeed or accuse him of playing mind games.I know he said that in a good-natured way and not to needle sachin.I just said it might be dangerous coz this kind of thing has happened in the past.It usually results in sachin playing out of his skin and disproving such statements.
It won't affect him b'coz he won't be playing ;)

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think that Sachin need's to have a good innings before the first test, either in the ODI's or in the tour game to get him going.

He seemed very cautious to me in Australia and I hope the pressure of this tour doesn't cause him to go into the test matches with a negative mindset because he is no doubt at his best when he attacks (98 in the WC, is as good of an example as any). A good score beforehand will help ease any mental doubts/fears he may have.

Hopefully, Sachin has been putting in the hours in the nets practising his wide array of off-side shots, as most of these shots were shelved during the fourth test against the Aussie's.

I hope that Sachin does perform on this tour, if anything it will at least shut up the critics...... at least for a little while.

Saeed Anwar may have a point, we will have to wait and see, hopefully (for indian fans :)) he is wrong about Sachin.

One thing is for sure though, India will have to bowl well whether Sachin and Co. perform or not. Getting 20 wickets won't be easy.