• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing in their last world cup

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There seem to be an unusually large number of great or very good players who won't be around for the next World Cup. Obviously Messi, Ronaldo, Modric, Alves, Lewandwski and Saurez. Thiago Silva and Cavani too. Kyle Walker probably, and Harry Kane. Also Neuer and Muller. If we feel inclined to raise an XI, who else is there? At present it's a bit forwards-heavy and light on defenders and midfielders.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Kane will be there IMO. Probably not leading the line game after game given he’s had his injury troubles but he strikes me as one not to retire from internationals until he retires full stop.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully Pickford, Stones and Maguire will not be around, Henderson definitely won’t. There’s probably some decent German, Spanish and Dutch players who won’t be back, but I can’t think who without Googling - and I hate to do that. :santa:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It does feel like the most recognisable superstars are unusually old at the moment. Lots of that generation’s absolute best players managing to sustain a high level into their mid-30s. I think Mbappe is the only youngish player with that kind of profile.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It does feel like the most recognisable superstars are unusually old at the moment. Lots of that generation’s absolute best players managing to sustain a high level into their mid-30s. I think Mbappe is the only youngish player with that kind of profile.
Jude.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah and Haaland not being there of course.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gavi and Pedri as well but they are in that very young category.

Neymar one of the big names not mentioned but not really convinced it will be his last although I think he might have said it will be?
Pretty sure he'll want to win one. And Brazil have enough good young talent like Vini and Rodrygo that Brazil can do in 2026 what the Argentina team is doing in 2022 in terms of doing it for Messi.