• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you love XI

haroon510

International 12th Man
From the past

1 Saeed Anwar
2 Mark Waugh
3 Sir Viv Richards
4 Brain Lara
5 Inzmam Ul Haq
6 Steve Waugh
7 +Adam Gilchirst
8 *Imran Khan
9 Wasim Akram
10 Shane Warne
11 Allan Donald

12th Curtly Ambrose

Current XI

1 Chris Gayle (c)
2 Ghutam Gambir
3 Kumara Sangakara
4 Sachin Tendulkar
5 Younis Khan
6 Yovraj Singh
7 Andrew Flintof
8 Shahid Afridi
9 Zaheer khan
10 Dale Styne
11 Muttiah Muralitharan

12th Umar Gul

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
V Sehwag
G Smith
K Pietersen
JP Duminy
R Taylor
M Hussey
J Ryder
Y Pathan
M Johnson
D Steyn
M Panesar

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
1. G Smith - he IS the Iron Man, looked permanently angry for the first 5 years of his career

2 R Dravid - just fills me with pride every time I see him bat, especially as he's a Karnataka man (and he lived next to my cousin, top bloke, was a hilarious show off as a young guy, he did love the ladies). Ok he's out of position but sod it.

3. S Tendulkar - perfect, just perfect.

4. Lara - the Prince of Trinidad had more style than Audrey Hepburn, still remember the first time I saw him play the pull shot of one foot, image burned into my mind, spent a whole summer practising it, still in the muscle memory.

5. Ganguly (Cpt) - Loved the way he batted (I tried to model my batting on his, ended up more Chris Gayle), especially versus spin. Stuck it to Steve Waugh like no one else.

6. AB De Villiers - Another nice guy who finished first, gives everything he has to the team and the best fielder I've ever seen, better even than Jonty.

7. (Wk) Alec Stewart (or to my friends and I Camp Ally Stewart because he camped behind the stumps...don't ask, fearless and IMO the last genuinely nice English cricketer, top bloke in person).

8. Chris Cairns - May have been a bastard on the field but a great guy, fulfilled a childhood dream of mine a couple of years back when I got to play tennis ball cricket with him during the interval at a lashings match. It was great there were loads of blokes in suits, corporate goons and admins from Durham trying to make casual 'learned' conversation with the players. Then there was me and my mates; T-shirts shorts and a tiny battered fake reebok bat from India that my dad got me as an 8yr old kid to play tennis ball cricket with (he didn't want me to ruin my Larsen!), playing a bit of yard cricket. Cairns comes over takes the bat out my hands and just joins in for 40 mins, he even skipped his team's warm up because he wanted to keep playing. One of the best experiences of my life. Even better because in the 99 world cup I made my dad sit in the rain with me for hours at a NZ v Zim game hoping that Cairns would come out to bat (he didn't).

9. Waqar Younis - Yorked his way into my imagination as a kid and probably sparked my earliest interest in cricket more than anyone else. Rather amusingly hit my mate in the head with a cricket ball when he was a little kid (he lived close by and walked past them playing street cricket, decided to have a bowl...), then took a photo with him on his knee so he wouldn't tell his dad on him, lol.

10. Venkatesh Prasad - Nicest guy you could ever meet, always had time for people (Kumble on the other hand was actually a bit of a ****) good coach too. He took me round and personally introduced myself and my cousins to the entire Karnataka cricket team and then chatted with us for 40 mins when I was about 10 (after just meeting us). I met him again recently and he's still a legend.

11. my all time favourite - Dewald Pretorius - my old coach...completely ****in insane, no question about it. Once asked me if I was listening to him because he wanted to kill me (we were in the nets, I hadn't said a word and had just taken a wicket!). A classic moment was when he was giving us a pep talk about practising fast bowling and commitment, it ended with, "They laughed at me! They all laughed at me! Even my sister laughed at me!" obviously as 14yr olds we did too...right away..he wasn't pleased. He once chased a kid round and then kicked him up the arse which was pretty hilarious, especially when the kid ran home and brought his elder brother back, who on sight of D was clearly terrified. Once when walking with myself and a friend past a women's game we stood near a fat girl (who was fielding) while waiting till the changeover, he started singing Nelly Furtado's I'm Like a Bird...but replaced 'bird' with 'whale'. During a fielding practice session he was getting angry that we weren't standing our ground while he was winging the ball in at us full pace from 25 yards (he was crazy), so he issued the challenge that we could throw the ball as hard as we liked at him. Obviously most of us realised that this probably wasn't a good idea, but an idiot friend of mine whispered to me "I'm going to prove my manliness to him and earn his respect" and subsequently volunteered. He threw it as hard as he could, D caught it with one hand and started laughing, he then said "Now it's my turn", he winged it in and it bounced of my friends hand. D encouraged him to have another go and the same sequence of events happened. 5 mins later at the end of practice we were walking back to the pavillion and it became pretty apparent that my friend's hand was broken, D burst out laughing...awesome! I've got tons of stories about him, before or since we've never looked forward to practices so much. I once told Javagal Srinath (who was his Durham team mate at the time) that D was coaching us, Srinath replied in shock "What?! They let him coach children?!" Dewald Pretorius, what a legend.

EDIT: [for those of you who don't know who D is he was a genuinely quick bowler who played 4 tests for SA from 2002-2003]

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
good read haha :p

hmm oke here goes:

Trescothick (loved watching him bat, don't know why, not the best technique, but his eye for the ball is so good)
Gayle (cool dude)
Ryan ten Doeschate (love how he keeps making himself better, although his recent form with the ball is not good)
Pietersen (awesome shot selection and always have liked him)
Ponting (a legend, especially in my ICC game :P)
Kallis (Always been a fan of this big guy!)
Read(awesome glovesman)
McGrath (love his accuracy)
Vettori (left arm spin ftw)
Steyn (just awesome and young)
Broad(will go far)

Evermind

International Debutant
good read haha :p

hmm oke here goes:

Trescothick (loved watching him bat, don't know why, not the best technique, but his eye for the ball is so good)
Gayle (cool dude)
Ryan ten Doeschate (love how he keeps making himself better, although his recent form with the ball is not good)
Pietersen (awesome shot selection and always have liked him)
Ponting (a legend, especially in my ICC game :P)
Kallis (Always been a fan of this big guy!)
Read(awesome glovesman)
McGrath (love his accuracy)
Vettori (left arm spin ftw)
Steyn (just awesome and young)
Broad(will go far)
No subcontinental players at all?

martin88

Banned
V Sehwag - Best thing to happen to Test cricket SR since Sir Viv.
G Gambhir - Will end up as one of the greatest batsmen ever.
R Ponting - Hate him so much that I can't stop thinking about him, which means I am in love with him.
S Tendulkar - <Custom message here>
C Cairns - Awesome allrounder
I Khan - No words
M Marshall - Again no words
S Warne - Showpony but with absolute talent
H Singh - Love him. Love his guts.
C Ambrose - Curtly talk to no man
G McGrath - Purely for on-field prowess.

Evermind

International Debutant
V Sehwag - Best thing to happen to Test cricket SR since Sir Viv.
G Gambhir - Will end up as one of the greatest batsmen ever.
R Ponting - Hate him so much that I can't stop thinking about him, which means I am in love with him.
S Tendulkar - <Custom message here>
C Cairns - Awesome allrounder
I Khan - No words
M Marshall - Again no words
S Warne - Showpony but with absolute talent
H Singh - Love him. Love his guts.
C Ambrose - Curtly talk to no man
G McGrath - Purely for on-field prowess.
Precambrian doesn't even try to hide his real self.

rahul_m

Cricket Spectator
Sanath Jayasuriya
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Dwayne Bravo
Kumar Sangakkara
Shane Warne
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Wasim Akram

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Wavell Hinds
Devon Smith
Rob Key (c)
Marlon Samuels
Kieth Parsons
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones (wk)
Ashley Giles
Ian Salisbury
Sajid Mahmood
Simon Jones

Probably the most randon XI I could come up with but I love them.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Dravid
4. Sangakkara
5. Pietersen
6. Jayawardene (c)
7. Hodd (w)
8. Flintoff
9. Mendis
10. Murali
11. Lewry

OK it's not a team to win v Mars but it's players I like, alright?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Good lord. Can't imagine staying awake through these innings.
The thought did cross my mind re Cook and Dravid. Not so sure it's fair about Strauss, and it's definitely not fair re Jayawardene.

Anyhow I like 'em and that's that :)

JBH001

International Regular
From players currently playing, an XI for all formats:

1. Sehwag
2. Gayle
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. Laxman
6. Kallis
7. Sangakkara
8. Johnson
9. Broad
10. Steyn
11. Murali

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, i loved: "Stay with me cap'n! Pleease, please don't leave me cap'n!" to Brian Lara in the famous run-chase against Australia.
Excellent - I hadn't heard that! Curtly was a nailed-on choice for my all-time XI before you told me that, but it just reassures me that his place is fully deserved

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is players I love for reasons other than their playing ability. It is more to do with their overall demeanour. The fact that they make up a decent enough side is incidental.

1. Jayasuriya
  2. Sehwag
  3. Laxman
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Sangakarra
  6. AB de Villiers
  7. Irfan Pathan
  8. Broad
  9. Lee
  10. Ntini
  11. Murali