• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who retired too early.

jcas0167

International Debutant
John Bracewell was only 32 when he retired, had no fitness issues and was still NZ's best spinner.

BazBall21

International Regular
David Gower but it was basically taken out of his hands.

Cook and Graeme Smith often mentioned when this question comes up but I actually think they retired at the right time and would have struggled if they went on. Having said that, Cook of course probably still would have done better than the guys England had to try in the aftermath.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Daryll Cullinan was 33-34 during his final series in the Windies in 2001 (Courtney Walsh's farewell series), even topped the run charts I think. Don't recall the exact circumstances but I think he had a dispute with the board and refused to come back. There weren't too many other South African batsmen from the Cronje-Pollock era I really enjoyed watching in full flight.

Surprised no one has brought up Marcus Trescothick yet.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Daryll Cullinan was 33-34 during his final series in the Windies in 2001 (Courtney Walsh's farewell series), even topped the run charts I think. Don't recall the exact circumstances but I think he had a dispute with the board and refused to come back. There weren't too many other South African batsmen from the Cronje-Pollock era I really enjoyed watching in full flight.

For examples of this I don't like bringing up examples of players retiring because of health issues. And he did continue to play county cricket until he was 43-44.

Moss

For examples of this I don't like bringing up examples of players retiring because of health issues. And he did continue to play county cricket until he was 43-44.
Yup fair enough, was a retirement for a specific reason.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Graham Thorpe.

Seemed to be pretty much hurried into retirement by the (frankly wrongheaded) decision to prefer Ian Bell to him for the 2005 Ashes.

Big Dunc misrepresented it as a straight choice between him and KP, when it reality it was a perm two from three call.

Have little doubt the, er, doughty left-hander would've contributed more than Ding Dong, England winning the series notwithstanding.

Oh, and he was also denied a (likely) century in his 100th and final test when Vaughan pulled the plug with him on 66* on the second day after only 78 overs.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain

Maybe he was scared to face Shane Warne later that year.

Moss

Graham Thorpe.

Seemed to be pretty much hurried into retirement by the (frankly wrongheaded) decision to prefer Ian Bell to him for the 2005 Ashes.

Big Dunc misrepresented it as a straight choice between him and KP, when it reality it was a perm two from three call.

Have little doubt the, er, doughty left-hander would've contributed more than Ding Dong, England winning the series notwithstanding.

Oh, and he was also denied a (likely) century in his 100th and final test when Vaughan pulled the plug with him on 66* on the second day after only 78 overs.
I don't doubt that he would have gone better than Bell in the ashes, but he was starting to fade about then IIRC. Struggled with Graeme Smith's part time spin in South Africa the previous winter. Was still probably one of the top 7-8 bats in the country but not sure he had all that much left in the tank then.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Given the decision to bolster the batting at The Oval when Jones went down, might Thorpe have got the nod had he not retired hastily after not getting selected?

Suspect we might have gone for Colly anyway under the 'all-rounder' guise but he only bowled a handful of overs as I recall

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given the decision to bolster the batting at The Oval when Jones went down, might Thorpe have got the nod had he not retired hastily after not getting selected?

Suspect we might have gone for Colly anyway under the 'all-rounder' guise but he only bowled a handful of overs as I recall
Yeah, maybe. Although Fletcher seemed very much a "my way or highway" type of coach, so once (as he saw it) Thorpe had thrown his toys, that was probably it for him.

I mean, Colly for Jonah not exactly like for like. I think Jimmeh had been 12th man for every test, so probably had the right to feel a little aggrieved he wasn't used once the Welsh Stallion had shed a shoe.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Another one who didn't have much choice at international level due to his mental health issues. Of course, we went on for years afterwards at county level.

Without checking, has anyone mentioned Andrew Strauss yet? Even in decline, he was better than most of the guys who tried to replace him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Graham Thorpe.
Sounds like payback for Thorpe depriving Alex Tudor of a test century a few years earlier.