• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players Who are Gonna Probably Retire AFter this World Cup

Molehill

International Captain
The teams in this world cup contains alot of young players. It's amazing how few names we could think of.
I think there will be a lot, it just won't happen straight away. The likes of Root and Smith for example, are unlikely to play the next World Cup, will they bother with any ODI's after this?

Jacob Boris

Cricket Spectator
I think there will be a lot, it just won't happen straight away. The likes of Root and Smith for example, are unlikely to play the next World Cup, will they bother with any ODI's after this?
Yeah who knows about the next world cup many players may retire in between. I dont know about Root but Smith may (and I think should) retire and focus on test cricket alone.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Won't surprise me if David Miller calls it after the WC. Rassie Van Der Dussen and Wayne Parnell also a shout. David and Wayne might not even play the WC

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would VDD retire when he's the second best ODI batsman in the world and just 34?

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Why would VDD retire when he's the second best ODI batsman in the world and just 34?
Don't see him turning down t20 money for ODI for a world cup where he is going to be 38. Probably 2 or maybe 3 years in him, time to cash?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think they'll all retire in the immediate future, but there's a lot of England players probably taking part in their last WC. Roy, Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Rashid, Wood and Woakes all spring to mind.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I don't think they'll all retire in the immediate future, but there's a lot of England players probably taking part in their last WC. Roy, Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Rashid, Wood and Woakes all spring to mind.
don't even think they'll make it particularly far in this world cup either. should have all retired before and allowed the BROOKguns shine

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Root might just make another

Though I suppose he may call time on white ball to focus on Tests

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
A 30-year-old pulling the pin on ODIs on the back of four tons in a single World Cup (and counting) is a bitter pill to swallow. T20 is such a wasteland for a guy at the peak of his batting powers. Kinda feels like Phil Mickelson retiring after 6 majors to hit dingers at the local Top Golf centre.