• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that are the most overated by CW posters.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I genuinely thought Zimbabwe were on the same path as Sri Lanka during the 90s. Now it seems that Sri Lanka is on the same path as Zimbabwe :(

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always got the feeling Gavaskar was able to go into a higher gear without an accompanying loss of prolificness, like the best of the best. It was probably a combination of defensive instincts and being in a weak batting line-up which stopped him from doing so. Then again, it could be something else.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whilst those factors would have certainly been at play, I get the feeling it's just the way he played. Variety is the spice of life after all.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Barrington wasn't a complete defensive player FTR. Had kind of a Jack Hobbs type career, very attacking batsmen as a young man, and turned into a stonewaller later on.

trundler

Hobbs reinvented himself with age, like Tendulkar and Bradman but Barrington did it after being dropped early on didn't he? Not exactly the same.

SillyCowCorner1

Gavaskar is a mythological figure in my village.

When India played that ODI at my home ground, Albion, I heard of how he took apart the Windies bowlers. He hit a six that went into a hotel(where a bunch of shady activities were going on: prostitution, drugs, and chutney music) by the roadside. This was over the long on boundary. And he also hit a six that went over the midwicket boundary and out of the ground, across the road, over the canal, and into a coconut grove owned by a man we called 'Mustapha'. He was in the copra business, exported the stuff. Richest man in the area at that time.

It was Phagwah. It was colorful that day.

Obviously I wasn't around to witness that, but every middle aged individual to pensioner who was at the ground that day tells the same story.

Since then no one has ever hit a ball that far at the ground.

The hotel is still in operation. Mustapha sadly passed away. Copra went out of demand. He turned to rice...

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Gavaskar is a mythological figure in my village.

When India played that ODI at my home ground, Albion, I heard of how he took apart the Windies bowlers. He hit one a six that went into a hotel(where a bunch of shady activities were going on: prostitution, drugs, and chutney music) by the roadside. This was over the long on boundary. And he also hit a six that went over the midwicket boundary and out of the ground, across the road, over the canal, and into a coconut grove owned by a man we called 'Mustapha'. He was in the copra business, exported the stuff. Richest man in the area at that time.

It was Phagwah. It was colorful that day.

Obviously I wasn't around to witness that, but every middle aged individual to pensioner who was at the ground that day tells the same story.

Since then no one has ever hit a ball that far at the ground.

The hotel is still in operation. Mustapha sadly passed away. Copra went out of demand. He turned to rice...
I don't understand half of what you post but I am always entertained.

SillyCowCorner1

I don't understand half of what you post but I am always entertained.
At least you see it as glass half full.

I have never known this about Mustapha. I just Googled him and learnt that he was also an enterprising contractor who built the Albion complex. He died last year at the age of 85.

morgieb

Barrington wasn't a complete defensive player FTR. Had kind of a Jack Hobbs type career, very attacking batsmen as a young man, and turned into a stonewaller later on.
Wasn't he kinda **** as an attacker though?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Comparing Indian team home performance against AUS/WI is like comparing Ashwin to Warne/ Murali tbh . But here is the stats

IND(since ENG tour 2012)
Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

WI(1980-94)

AUS(1995-07)
Thanks - huge difference in number of matches played of course and maybe it's closer if you only include a smaller stretch of Aus/WI matches (i.e. their best streaks) - but this India team doesn't just win home series, they nearly whitewash all their opponents. Very low draw rate, just the 1 loss (vs Aus?) and tons of wins.

That and India aren't as gun away as the Aus/WI teams were.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
There's a million meaningless stats you can use to back your POV. Who was the lobotomized poster a few weeks back who said the three Indian quicks took more wickets in a year as a trio than any other in history, which at face value sounded good, until it was pointed out that two bowlers alone took more wickets than they did in 1981?
Yep - that was a great example of statistics sometimes being really silly.

Burgey

Can someone tell me what chutney music is, cos it’s been mentioned with drug taking and prostitution, so it sounds like it has a fair amount of potential.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A CC thread started by me that has upwards of 790 posts of (mostly) serious discussion. That must be a first.