• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that are the most overated by CW posters.

sunilz

International Regular

sunilz

International Regular
Yes, that truth which you find inconvenient so it must be a myth, again. Everyone who saw it and played it says that. Whereas no one ever says that about a party match at Lords.
And yet no one rates Chappell above Gavaskar apart from some CW aussie posters . Gavaskar finds position in almost everone's first or second XI. Chappell doesn't get mentioned even in 3rd XI.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And yet no one rates Chappell above Gavaskar apart from some CW aussie posters . Gavaskar finds position in almost everone's first or second XI. Chappell doesn't get mentioned even in 3rd XI.
Great openers are much more scarce than great middle order bats though, so that makes sense. Chappell does make many people's 2nd XI though, including the cricinfo one.

the big bambino

International Captain
The best batsman of most competetive series barely averages 40 away from home against top attacks. And Gavaskar averages 47 as opener against same attack and has twice the runs.
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

What’s that? Only away tests count! Oh noes we can’t count Sunny’s 83/84 series. So his average on your previous link means he averages 30. As a fanboi I’m disappointed.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I don't know how much of a mark-down you should necessarily put on runs in a dead rubber match. Much depends on context. That WI side was pretty ruthless tbf, and a ball whistling through at your melon is still doing it, whether its' the first or fifth test of a series.
Not entirely, while those teams were great, they were great teams that won series. But there may have been the odd dead rubber (but you're right about a ball whistling through at 90mph).

I had the stats somewhere, but this Indian team has a far higher win percentage at home than even the great WI and Australian teams did. This is an absolutely ruthless Indian team (at home) - and/or are just that much better than everyone else (at home). It's a good 10% or something higher, which considering the WI and Aus teams had a great 70% winning percentage at home is quite something.

Maybe @Sunilz can dig up the stats.

sunilz

International Regular
What’s that? Only away tests count! Oh noes we can’t count Sunny’s 83/84 series. So his average on your previous link means he averages 30. As a fanboi I’m disappointed.
Calm down , drink a glass of water , open the link and read it properly . It includes everything .

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
ESPN legends of cricket list is a good example. Gavaskar was ranked #10 and Chappell #17. Similarly there were lot more votes for Gavaskar in Wisden's 5 cricketers of century exercise than there were for Chappell. Gavaskar made Richie Benaud's all time test XI too.

I think sunilz has given me enough reasons to swap relative ranking of Gavaskar and Chappell compared to an old list I submitted here on CW.

sunilz

International Regular
And keep in mind that Gavaskar being an opener must have faced all these great fast bowlers . And Greg Chappell was a middle order batsman who might have started his innings against other bowlers or spinners in some of his innings.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar > Chappell seems to be a universally held opinion. Both were pretty epic players of pace and dare I say quite entertaining.

mr_mister

Sunilz got a little sneaky with the stats during my Waugh Sachin argument. Excluding 90s Zimbabwe on minnow grounds is very cheeky

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar was one of the best players of spin bowling that I've ever seen.
True but I only said so about pace as the quartet was being discussed. Would you say he was one of most complete players you've seen?

sunilz

International Regular
Sunilz got a little sneaky with the stats during my Waugh Sachin argument. Excluding 90s Zimbabwe on minnow grounds is very cheeky
Actually I never mentioned it to you that Tendulkar's father died after India's 1st game of WC 1999. So it would be unfair to hold that poor WC performance against him .

mr_mister

Actually I never mentioned it to you that Tendulkar's father died after India's 1st game of WC 1999. So it would be unfair to hold that poor WC performance against him .
Lol, didn't he get 140 first game back after the funeral? Didn't seen to affect his play too much

sunilz

International Regular
Not entirely, while those teams were great, they were great teams that won series. But there may have been the odd dead rubber (but you're right about a ball whistling through at 90mph).

I had the stats somewhere, but this Indian team has a far higher win percentage at home than even the great WI and Australian teams did. This is an absolutely ruthless Indian team (at home) - and/or are just that much better than everyone else (at home). It's a good 10% or something higher, which considering the WI and Aus teams had a great 70% winning percentage at home is quite something.

Maybe @Sunilz can dig up the stats.
Comparing Indian team home performance against AUS/WI is like comparing Ashwin to Warne/ Murali tbh . But here is the stats

IND(since ENG tour 2012)
Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

WI(1980-94)
Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

AUS(1995-07)
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...1995;spanval1=span;template=results;type=team

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Lol, didn't he get 140 first game back after the funeral? Didn't seen to affect his play too much
Do you really think it is very difficult to score against Kenya ? Many players during their poor form manage to score against weak attack . Eg . Tendulkar's 100th 100 or Ponting against IND in 2011/12 tour .

mr_mister

Do you really think it is very difficult to score against Kenya ? Many players during their poor form manage to score against weak attack . Eg . Tendulkar's 100th 100 or Ponting against IND in 2011/12 tour .
No I know their bowling attack was bad. But he played himself into form so you I don't think you can suddenly say his dads passing started affected his playing only after he started failing

Whatever, I just thought omitting Zimbabwe was sneaky, that's all. Not looking to reignite

sunilz

International Regular
I think it is a common practice to exclude BAN/KEN/ZIM while comparing players/team . I didn't do intentionally .