• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, his hilariously bad series and ****ish behaviour is making people seriously underrate him in this thread again.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To say he's not at Smith's level is fine ( and perfectly accurate) but to say he shouldn't be in the discussion with the other 3 is crazy

vcs

Yeah and we all know how Smith and Root are absolute angels as well lol :p

(Williamson probably is an angel who helps old ladies cross the road in his free time)

Gob

International Coach

(Williamson probably is an angel who helps old ladies cross the road in his free time)
To earn their trust, acquire their wealth and then shove them down a staircase

Compton

International Debutant
Not this **** again.

You probably also think Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq are as good/better than him.

This obsession with Kohli's average to discredit him is just infantile, and completely devoid of context whatsoever. I think Williamson's average also dropped under 50 not long back.
I'm not using his average to discredit him, I'm not discrediting him at all.

I'm just using statistics to back up my view that he's - at best - fourth best batsman in the world. That's hardly an insult :laugh:

ImpatientLime

International Regular

is root a ****? don't remember too much bad behaviour from him.

vcs

I'm not using his average to discredit him, I'm not discrediting him at all.

I'm just using statistics to back up my view that he's - at best - fourth best batsman in the world. That's hardly an insult :laugh:
LOL be honest. You implied that he does not belong in the argument with the other three.

It's OK if you don't rate him because you think he's a ****. :p

Compton

International Debutant
LOL be honest. You implied that he does not belong in the argument with the other three.

It's OK if you don't rate him because you think he's a ****. :p
I do rate him, I think calling someone the fourth best in the world is pretty high praise.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
In a bygone era Root would have been referred to as a scamp or a scallywag.

Would have made a fine extra in Oliver Twist.

91Jmay

International Coach
TBF i think Kohli is better than Root, but having some amazing series and some hideous series does raise valid questions. A bit feast or famine.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's quite impressive both as a prediction from Martin Crowe and just as a feature in general that the anointed ones are this well defined. I don't know how statistically significant it is, but from a fan's perspective it seems pretty consistent that they are the top batsmen. We can add in Quinton De Kock who's a few years younger.
this is true, the first page of this thread is just 'pfft, what about darren bravo' etc

sometimes these guys who go with their gut are right

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is he is only 27 and the period from 27 to 33 is usually considered as the best period for a batsman. I can think of several players who had pretty hot streaks at that period comfortably averaging 60 plus some even going over 70 like Ponting, Sangakkara etc but most of those guys were averaging in the 40s when the good period started so as the average getting close to 60 after years of prolific batting, age started to catch up to them.

Smith is already averaging 60 and if he is to have a crazy run like say Ponting, that average of his could go to an uncharted territory for a man with his weight of runs
That's true about ages but people do have different peaks. Viv Richards averaged 62 after his 44th test, when he had just turned 29, didn't play much for a year or two around then and his average declined every year after that, and he retired when he was 39. Michael Clarke's best period as a batsman was 2012/13 when he was about 31-32 and he was retired by 34. You can never quite tell, and not everyone peaks in their 30s like Ponting, Sangakkara, Kallis etc. That said I don't see any reason why Smith doesn't have at least like 5 more years of very good cricket ahead of him, even with a conservative estimate.

Compton

International Debutant
I don't disagree with your point, but Clarke isn't a great example.

His long-standing back problems getting worse played a massive part in his retirement/drop in form.

Gob

International Coach

His long-standing back problems getting worse played a massive part in his retirement/drop in form.
Yeah Mik Clarke was dead set to get 10k plus at one point.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Not to mention that he was personally deeply affected by the Phil Hughes tragedy after which I think he never really regained the hunger for cricket that he had before.