• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gob

International Coach
is it roots turn to be ragged on now lol

smith clear leader atm. the other blokes need to hit hot streaks. i could be setting myself up here but smitteh won't average 60 forever. everyone has some lean months, but the important thing is he's so ruthless that he makes his hot streaks count. could be better than ponting in the end.
The thing is he is only 27 and the period from 27 to 33 is usually considered as the best period for a batsman. I can think of several players who had pretty hot streaks at that period comfortably averaging 60 plus some even going over 70 like Ponting, Sangakkara etc but most of those guys were averaging in the 40s when the good period started so as the average getting close to 60 after years of prolific batting, age started to catch up to them.

Smith is already averaging 60 and if he is to have a crazy run like say Ponting, that average of his could go to an uncharted territory for a man with his weight of runs

Slifer

International Captain
You're confused, I've maintained Smith's the number 1 bat for a while now, I had him equal 1st with Root leading into this Indian series, certainly ahead of KW. I assume it's my quote below that confused you, but I was talking about style, not effectiveness.
My comment was more directed at that blocky fella. Btw i don't frequent this board too often so what happened to blocky?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
excessive IMO. He wasn't even that bad. He was like harmless fly that can annoy you if you let it but never really does any damage.
Tend to agree. Had some irrational pet-hates, but the reaction to his posting was often worse than his posting.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah no. Cancerous for the forums, we had multiple people telling us he was single-handedly making the forum an intolerable experience for them.

My only regret is that we didn't do it far sooner.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
To what degree are these 4 separate from the pack, as leading Gen Y batsmen?

It's quite impressive both as a prediction from Martin Crowe and just as a feature in general that the anointed ones are this well defined. I don't know how statistically significant it is, but from a fan's perspective it seems pretty consistent that they are the top batsmen. We can add in Quinton De Kock who's a few years younger.

Burner

International Regular
Must have done something offensive to get banned? Can't get banned for just pissing people off surely?!

Daemon

excessive IMO. He wasn't even that bad. He was like harmless fly that can annoy you if you let it but never really does any damage.
I recall this argument where I was reading his posts and just shaking my head, then nodding in agreement when you told him off.

He was making you look good in comparison. That just says it all really.

TheJediBrah

I recall this argument where I was reading his posts and just shaking my head, then nodding in agreement when you told him off.

He was making you look good in comparison. That just says it all really.
Well why do you think I don't like him banned?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I just went through the first few pages and no one rated Smith. Most were saying that he should not be part of this list. Amazing turnaround.

Compton

International Debutant
Kohli's only had 3 poor Tests.
Kohli didn't deserve to be in the discussion in the first place.

Test batting average (2014-2016)
Steve Smith - 75.83
Joe Root - 68.96
Kane Williamson - 66.38
Virat Kohli - 54.4

The only reason Kohli became part of this discussion in any sort of meaningful level is that Root and Williamson had a 'bad year' in 2016 (49.53 & 47.06 respectively), even though those bad 2016s are better than the 2014 (44.58) and 2015 (42.67) Kohli had.

Kohli's a one-day ATG.
In test cricket, he's just not on Smith's level. I also wouldn't have him ahead of Root or Williamson.

Last edited:

vcs

Kohli didn't deserve to be in the discussion in the first place.

Test batting average (2014-2016)
Steve Smith - 75.83
Joe Root - 68.96
Kane Williamson - 66.38
Virat Kohli - 54.4

The only reason Kohli became part of this discussion is that Root and Williamson had a 'bad year' in 2016 (49.53 & 47.06 respectively), even though those bad 2016s are better than the 2014 (44.58) and 2015 (42.67) Kohli had.

Kohli's a one-day ATG.
In test cricket, he's just not on Smith's level. I also wouldn't have him ahead of Root or Williamson.
Not this **** again.

You probably also think Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq are as good/better than him.

This obsession with Kohli's average to discredit him is just infantile, and completely devoid of context whatsoever. I think Williamson's average also dropped under 50 not long back.

Last edited: