• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Y ah but look what he's just done to India in India. Anyone's form can fall off a cliff, of course, but if he plays a bit of cricket against those sides while he's in anything close to top nick he'll make an absolute poultice.

Zinzan

Three centuries later cant wait to see what excuse blocky and zinzan will come up with....
You're confused, I've maintained Smith's the number 1 bat for a while now, I had him equal 1st with Root leading into this Indian series, certainly ahead of KW. I assume it's my quote below that confused you, but I was talking about style, not effectiveness.

It's weird, I love watching both Root & Kohli bat, it's Smith who's ugly to watch. KW is somewhere in the middle in terms of style.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
its a top three now.

if root wants back in he needs to start hitting three figures more often.

the other three have proved their worth massively in recent months. root has spent the winter getting in then throwing it away.

Last edited:

Zinzan

its a top three now.

You're taking points off Root when he averaged close to 50 in India but failed to convert some innings, but seemingly give Kohli a pass after averaging 9 in 5 innings against Australia in his own backyard?

Root drew the short straw there didn't he.

Burgey

its a top three now.

the other three have proved their worth massively in recent months. root has spent the winter getting in then throwing it away.
Didn't Williamson have a mini slump until recently?

Zinzan

Yep, had a decidedly average 2016. and was the worst of the 3 big overseas bats touring India in his 2 tests.

No doubt Smith is quite clearly 1 atm, and by more than a whisker.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
you cannot ignore root's conversion rate in comparison to the others

since root's debut smith, williamson, kohli and younis khan all hit a century on average every five innings. root hits one every 10 innings. that is a huge gulf. david warner also scores centuries with more regularity.

root is around guys like ross taylor, pujara, rahane, vijay, amla and azhar ali for the regularity with which he scores test match hundreds.

flibbertyjibber

Smith is comfortably out in front now. The others will change order and if Root has a good home summer then people will say he is next in line as the runs will be fresh in the memory.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i rag on root a lot because in my 30 years on this planet i haven't seen an english batsman with his ability or all round game. throw in the astounding touch he has looked in over the past few years and it infuriates me to watch him constantly throw away opportunities to rack up big scores that guys like smith, williamson and kohli wouldn't pass up.

he wouldn't be the first english batsman in recent years to threaten a high scoring, 50+ average only to fall away.

Zinzan

i rag on root a lot because in my 30 years on this planet i haven't seen an english batsman with his ability or all round game. throw in the astounding touch he has looked in over the past few years and it infuriates me to watch him constantly throw away opportunities to rack up big scores that guys like smith, williamson and kohli wouldn't pass up.

he wouldn't be the first english batsman in recent years to threaten a high scoring, 50+ average only to fall away.
Williamson only scored 1 ton in 10 tests in 2016, and that was against Zim, so not sure why we're using him as Root's benchmark when it comes to conversion.

Gob

International Coach
My current thoughts on big 4

There is nothing to chose between Root and Smith till they both get to 70.

Also its crazy to think that Smith almost averages 10 runs more than Kane

Pujara needs to improve his away game

Zinzan

My current thoughts on big 4

There is nothing to chose between Root and Smith till they both get to 70.

Also its crazy to think that Smith almost averages 10 runs more than Kane
Yeah it surprised me it was as many as 10 since it's fairly even between those two in the last 4 years, basically since Smith's been a run machine. Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Williamson was averaging 34 after a couple of years of Test cricket, so it was a lot more to claw back even though Smith started as an all-rounder down the order.

91Jmay

International Coach
Smith clearly number 1
Williamson 2
Kohli 3

Root now a bit of a distance back at 3, I agree with IL his conversion issue holds him back

Flem274*

123/5
is it roots turn to be ragged on now lol

smith clear leader atm. the other blokes need to hit hot streaks. i could be setting myself up here but smitteh won't average 60 forever. everyone has some lean months, but the important thing is he's so ruthless that he makes his hot streaks count. could be better than ponting in the end.