• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pitch Bitch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
couldn't be bothered reading the thread, it's a boring topic for mine - but after reading whingeing in the match thread about the pitch should be reported in Cape Town:

It's not about if a pitch suits seam or swing. It's about if there is the opportunity to play proper cricket shots. Uneven bounce is the enemy, if, early in the match, a pitch is such that a ball can go through the surface or hit a crack and either rear up or run along the surface - its a bad pitch. That is the test.
Dont think many whinged that Cape Town pitch should be reported. Just whinging at the fact that had the same happened on a SC wicket with the spinners doing the damage (a la Mumbai 2004), it is immediately reported. Its not like spinners are part of cricket or anything, is it?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All due respect to Botham, but if he said that he's wrong.

Edit: A fine example is McGrath bowling to Warner in the All Stars (I think?) Twenty20 match. Nibbled it away from him and had him caught after saying he'd do exactly that.
To an extent, you can predict which way the ball is gonna seam but not how much. That is just humanly impossible. Even McGrath has said that, when we chatted up to him once in Chennai. You set the field, bowl the ball (in swinger or out swinger) and then await events. You can of course guess the amount of movement based on previous deliveries but you can never really judge it to any great certainty.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dont think many whinged that Cape Town pitch should be reported. Just whinging at the fact that had the same happened on a SC wicket with the spinners doing the damage (a la Mumbai 2004), it is immediately reported. Its not like spinners are part of cricket or anything, is it?
Now I'm not an expert by any means on pitches, but is it not the case that if a pitch is dusty and turning square on day one, then there's a degree of underpreparation that's gone on?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Now I'm not an expert by any means on pitches, but is it not the case that if a pitch is dusty and turning square on day one, then there's a degree of underpreparation that's gone on?
nope.. There were unseasonal rains that prevented them from preparing ahead of time. And in any case, that pitch was not dangerous and if players can't play on a track that turns, then it is their problem.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
nope.. There were unseasonal rains that prevented them from preparing ahead of time. And in any case, that pitch was not dangerous and if players can't play on a track that turns, then it is their problem.
I'm not talking about the Mumbai 04 pitch specifically. From watching the highlights on Rob's YouTube channel I don't remember it looking particularly dusty. And IMO there's a difference between not being able to handle a spinning track and watching Michael Clarke turn it square en route to 6/9.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm not talking about the Mumbai 04 pitch specifically. From watching the highlights on Rob's YouTube channel I don't remember it looking particularly dusty. And IMO there's a difference between not being able to handle a spinning track and watching Michael Clarke turn it square en route to 6/9.
That is the problem. You are judging the pitch because Clarke got 6/9. But Clarke bowled as well as any spinner did on that track and it was easier to face the ball turning into you than the one turning away from you on that track. The pitch was not unplayable. And Aussies batted just as bad as they did in Cape Town then. Trust me, there was nothing wrong with the track. Were they difficult conditions for batsmen? Yes, they were. Does it justify the complaints? No way in hell.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Might be. But under-preparation is still preparation. As long as the track is not gonna cause you physical harm, as a cricketer, you just gotta play on it. If it swings too much or spins too much, is not an issue. Those are part of cricket as much as flat decks are.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Might be. But under-preparation is still preparation. As long as the track is not gonna cause you physical harm, as a cricketer, you just gotta play on it. If it swings too much or spins too much, is not an issue. Those are part of cricket as much as flat decks are.
Preaching to the converted mate. :p I thought the first Test between Sri Lanka and Australia was great viewing because the pitch made things challenging for the batsmen.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Preaching to the converted mate. :p I thought the first Test between Sri Lanka and Australia was great viewing because the pitch made things challenging for the batsmen.
yeah.. not really directing at you per se. Have read your views on this quite a few times now. But generally.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To an extent, you can predict which way the ball is gonna seam but not how much. That is just humanly impossible. Even McGrath has said that, when we chatted up to him once in Chennai. You set the field, bowl the ball (in swinger or out swinger) and then await events. You can of course guess the amount of movement based on previous deliveries but you can never really judge it to any great certainty.
This is what we're talking about though, being able to know which way it will go. That is possible. It doesn't have to swing to move in a given direction either (I'm not sure if that's what you're suggesting or not).

We weren't suggesting you could predict the next delivery would jag 32cm back in to the batsman. :happy:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I suppose the thing about hitting the seam is that, unlike when you angle the seam of the ball (which can be picked up by batsmen and hence, they can be ready for it), here even the bowler won't know which way it will jag or even if it will jag at all and thus, the batsmen will have less time to react too.

Son Of Coco

I suppose the thing about hitting the seam is that, unlike when you angle the seam of the ball (which can be picked up by batsmen and hence, they can be ready for it), here even the bowler won't know which way it will jag or even if it will jag at all and thus, the batsmen will have less time to react too.
This is what we've been talking about too though...to a certain extent the bowler does have control over which way it goes. He will know which direction he's attempting to move it (or which direction he regularly moves it) and, surprisingly, that's the way it goes more often than not. Seam bowlers generally don't bowl with the seam pointing straight down the wicket and hope it does something either way.

There's a difference between not knowing how much you'll move it and not knowing which way it will move.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Personally I reckon they look at more than just how many wickets fell and how quickly when they're deciding if a pitch is suitable or not. I could be wrong though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally I reckon they look at more than just how many wickets fell and how quickly when they're deciding if a pitch is suitable or not. I could be wrong though.
No, they basically go by the captain and match referee's reports and there are some idiots out there being referees who happened to think spinning tracks are not meant for cricket.