• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick Your Best All time ODI Team

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
His strike rate is better than anyone else who is a geniune batsman, not only that but its increasing every year
Which of course has absolutely nothing to do with the way the ODI is now set up for quick scoring...

It's funny how you for one were so conspicuous in your absence from the forum in the months July to September...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
his whole team selection is bemusing, its weird that he has Lara opening regardless of the fact that he averagees better their than any position he has batted in ODI cricket,
Erm no, that's no necessarily weird - he averages better there than anywhere else he's batted - so why is it wrong to think that's his best position?

You saying that regardless of a fact that actually suggests he's best suited to the role he was selected for is the bemusing thing, as far as I can see, your only problem is that he's daring to not select Australians.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Erm no, that's no necessarily weird - he averages better there than anywhere else he's batted - so why is it wrong to think that's his best position?You saying that regardless of a fact that actually suggests he's best suited to the role he was selected for is the bemusing thing,

as far as I can see, your only problem is that he's daring to not select Australians.
1. I understand where TEC is coming from, but IMO when selecting a ALL TIME world XI, Lara regardless of the fact the he averages over 40 in his little period as an opener in ODI cricket he wouldn't be considered as an opener. Gilchrist has done it whole career & even though he doesn't average 40+, he is still one of the best ODI openers ever...

2. urghh i just dont able with you marc... :sleep:

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
1. I understand where TEC is coming from, but IMO when selecting a ALL TIME world XI, Lara regardless of the fact the he averages over 40 in his little period as an opener in ODI cricket he wouldn't be considered as an opener. Gilchrist has done it whole career & even though he doesn't average 40+, he is still one of the best ODI openers ever...
You keep saying he's one of the best ODI openers ever, how is he so? An average in the mid 30s doesn't seem to be something one of the best ODI openers ever would have.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
how about

1 S Jayasuriya
2 A Gilchrist (wicket-keeper)
3 S Tendulkar (captain)
4 B Lara
5 A Flintoff
6 M Bevan
7 L Klusener
8 S Pollock
9 W Akram
10 M Muralitharan
11 G McGrath

SS P De Silva

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
You keep saying he's one of the best ODI openers ever, how is he so? An average in the mid 30s doesn't seem to be something one of the best ODI openers ever would have.
look beyond his average and look at the impact he has made on oppostion bowlers in his career, i've heard him being regarded has one of the best at the top in ODI history & seeing him alot in ODI's since the 99 CUB series i am inclined to agree....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
look beyond his average and look at the impact he has made on oppostion bowlers in his career
And then look at the impact batsmen who average more than 40 have made...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
look beyond his average and look at the impact he has made on oppostion bowlers in his career, i've heard him being regarded has one of the best at the top in ODI history & seeing him alot in ODI's since the 99 CUB series i am inclined to agree....
I'd say that's because so many people are seduced by big hitting (i.e. the selection of Sehwag in the World ODI XI)...I'd rather someone who averages more than Gilchrist and is more reliable at the top of the order in an all-time ODI XI.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Which of course has absolutely nothing to do with the way the ODI is now set up for quick scoring...

It's funny how you for one were so conspicuous in your absence from the forum in the months July to September...
Because I have better things to do sometimes.

If you look at my profile (post pers day rate) you will see I've never been a heavy poster and often don't post much for longish periods.

The Ashes didn't have much to do with it really...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Oh yes, a whole 0.86 runs - massive that!
You win I thought it was around 38-39

No, but players have averaged more and played in times when the game wasn't so batting skewed...
I didn't say he was the best, but IMO maybe not yours he is one of the better ODI batsman ever.. not in the top 5 or anything like that but none the less very good.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dasa said:
I'd say that's because so many people are seduced by big hitting (i.e. the selection of Sehwag in the World ODI XI)...I'd rather someone who averages more than Gilchrist and is more reliable at the top of the order in an all-time ODI XI.
Personaly I think it's good to have a hitter at the top of the order somone who can be explosive to set up or chase a big total and Gilly is the most reliable at doing that consistantly..

He would be an opener in a world XI on batting form alone atm btw.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
aussie said:
His impact is bigger only because the line up that follows him is strong enough to drive home the advantage his quick scoring brings in. Someone like Sachin, who scores heavily and quickly as an opener, is a much better option and so would Lara be. These guys are class batsmen who do score quickly when situations demand that type of approach. Plus, both of them are more likely to go on and make a bigger score than Gilly. I would certainly have Gilly opening in my team, but TEC has a very valid point with his team selection.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
I would certainly have Gilly opening in my team, but TEC has a very valid point with his team selection.
Yeah I think that's the main point and people should realise. I too would still have Gilly opening with Sachin, because that'd be such a devastating opening pair it'd be extremely cool. BUT TEC's reasons for not selecting Gilly, with Flower in there instead, are perfectly valid and why some Aussie fans are all :-O :-O :-O at Gilly not being selected is a complete overreaction. He's no Bevan, Sachin or Viv in ODIs.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
For a couple of years, but then again, 6 can be different to 5 as well.
I was just responding to the fact that you said both hardly ever bat lower than 4, when Dravid does (and when you think about it, the past few years have been his best ODI form).

Lara doesn't bat lower than 4, but it wasn't his positioning that resulted in his failures in the Super Series ODIs. He played stupid shots and was quite clearly low on match practice.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
what I am suggesting is that, even if Lara had been in good form, he would have been not that useful at 5 as he is usually at 4or 3. In fact, I think even 4 is too low for him in ODIs. He should not bat any lower than 3 in my opinion.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
His strike rate is better than anyone else who is a geniune batsman, not only that but its increasing every year, 3 years ago it was 88 now it's 96 i wouldn't be supprised if it's more or less 100 when he finnishes his career. combine that with average that is also climbing slowly and he's going to have a might record.

There is a big diference between that and one of about 85.. plus as I said he strikes at a rate better than 100 in basicly every series he plays now so it's still going up.
for one thing, the reason why gilchrist's SR is increasing is because hes allowed to go out and go after everything from ball 1 with the strength of batting that follows him. if lara or andy flower tried to play in that manner they'd be castigated for it because their sides hopes of victory relied almost single handedly on them. not to mention the fact that the 2 of them both batted largely after the 15 overs while gilchrist opened, hence lost out on the 15 over rule.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
for one thing, the reason why gilchrist's SR is increasing is because hes allowed to go out and go after everything from ball 1 with the strength of batting that follows him. if lara or andy flower tried to play in that manner they'd be castigated for it because their sides hopes of victory relied almost single handedly on them. not to mention the fact that the 2 of them both batted largely after the 15 overs while gilchrist opened, hence lost out on the 15 over rule.
Gilchrist bats the same way whether it's a test match, fc or odi - that's why his record is so unbelievable