• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick five players.....

Barney Rubble

International Coach
steds said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love those adverts
I quite like the one where the guy is standing on the boundary chatting up a girl and the ball rolls past him for 4 - the rest of them get a bit dull after while, although the Gooch one is very funny the first time you see it.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
South Africa

1. Johnny Hermitage (19) - offspinner, leading wicket-taker at Nuffield/Khaya Majola cricket week in 2004. Already part of Gary Kirsten's high performance group.
2. Richard Levi (18) - 3, 062 runs in 78 innings at an average of 53, 7 for Wynberg Boys High first XI. Highest score of 216* and his strike rate is 117.
3. Vaughn van Jaarsveld (20) - Plays for the Lions, 2698 runs in 57 matches (average 67,5) for KES at a strike rate of 116. Highest score of 240*.
4. Thandi Tshabalala - (20) Eages/Free State offspinner, 26 wickets in 11 four-day matches, VERY effective in the Pro20, 20 wickets in 12 games at an economy rate of 6.26. Best bowling figures of 4/13 off four overs.
5. Alviro Petersen (24) - RH bat, Northerns/Titans, played 35 FC matches at an average of 37.25 with six centuries and ten fifties. Very talented and aggressive. Good fielder too.

Honourable mentions: Enoch Nkwe, Ethy Mbalathi, Paul Harris, Johan Botha, Davy Jacobs, Cliffie Deacon, Benji Hector, Imraan Khan, Stephen Cook, Loots Bosman

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Barney Rubble said:
5. Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire) - another South-African born lad, but whether he chooses to commit himself to them remains to be seen. Whoever he chooses to play for, two OD hundreds in the last month have shown his undoubted talent, backed up by an FC average of 40 and a top score of 210. His bowling is also improving, with the three wickets he took in the C&G Final (including Kevin Pietersen) evidence of his development.

Very much looking forward to having him over here and seeing him play. From all reports he seems a great prospect and I'm quite stoaked that we have nabbed him as our overseas signing.

As for the Kiwis

Jesse Ryder
Aggressive one day opening batsman, who has the ability to take bowling attacks apart, he is equally at home in the middle order in the four day game. had a few troubles outside cricket earier in his career but has put them to the side and looks to be on tract.

Ross taylor
Very aggressive middle order batsman, but has struggled to make the step up from domestic cricket to ''A'' cricket.

Te Ahu Davis.
Genuine fast bowler.

Peter Fulton
Elegant right hander, plays like a right handed Stephen Fleming.

Jamie How
Opening batsman.

Richard Sherlock
Another very good young bowler, who has the ability to be quite quick. Although has broken down quite abit recently.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
NZ

Jesse Ryder (Wellington)- as above, but also a decent bowler in the McMillian and Astle mould.

Ash Newdick- 18yr old who I went to school with last year, great guy and an excellent batsman. Saw him make 150+ in the Wellington U19 trials last November (one of the best innings ive ever seen) and made a hundred in one of his first Pearce Cup (top Wellington grade) games.

Nathan McCullum (Otago)- Brendons brother, off spinner, not world class but could be a back-up when Wiseman retires.

Cant think of any others at the moment, I'll add others if I come up with any.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kenroy K. Peters (23 years)
Windward Islands

An accurate left-arm seamer who tends to get the ball to swing, in a similar fashion to Pedro Collins. Particular merits for eventual selection in ODI cricket with a List-A average of just over 20 and an economy rate of 3.5. In FC cricket he's solid too - an average of 25podd with economy of 2.30.

He played 3 U19 Tests for WI and took 16 wickets at 12podd. In his 4 U19 ODIs, he took 8 wickets at 9.12.

Tishan Maraj (20 years)
Trinidad and Tobago

My pick for the next big West Indian batsman IF he doesn't decide to pursue a career in medicine ahead of cricket. This young man has all the skills. He looks like scoring runs every time he goes to crease, and more often than not, he scores them. Good technique and a good head on his shoulders.

359 runs in his first 6 FC games, Maraj has passed 50 on 4 occasions in his 10 innings. He reached 99 in the Carib Beer Cup this year, but I believe he was run out. A HUGE talent for the future.

Odean V. Brown (23 years)
Jamaica

A rare sight in regional cricket - a legspinner. Whilst Brown doesn't yet have the variety or control to be a Test class spinner, I do think that he will be picked in the near future, regardless of whether he's ready. His stats are good to look at, averaging 23podd in FC cricket, but with an economy rate of 3.43. A decent young prospect.

Richard Kelly (21 years)
Trinidad and Tobago

A bright allround prospect. Kelly splashed onto the scene in last year's President's Cup, bowling superbly throughout the tournament and showing himself as big hitting danger. Kelly has not yet realized his potential with the bat in either FC or OD cricket, but scored a brisk 83 and another half-century earlier this year.

His 34 FC wickets have come at a nice average of 24.02, while 13 OD wickets cost 24.07 each. A nippy seamer, Kelly has variety with the ball, and that's what gets him wickets. I predict he will play ODI cricket before Tests, if Tests at all.

Sewnarine Chattergoon (24 years)
Guyana

Experienced in terms of West Indies domestic cricket, Chattergoon has played over 30 FC matches and scored over 1600 runs. Not a heavy runscorer, Chattergoon has always been consistent. Decent technique and a willingness to bat for long periods enable him as a potential Test cricketer in the future.

His legbreaks are perhaps underused, as they can be quite useful, especially in limited overs cricket.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
South Africa

1. Johnny Hermitage (19) - offspinner, leading wicket-taker at Nuffield/Khaya Majola cricket week in 2004. Already part of Gary Kirsten's high performance group.
2. Richard Levi (18) - 3, 062 runs in 78 innings at an average of 53, 7 for Wynberg Boys High first XI. Highest score of 216* and his strike rate is 117.
3. Vaughn van Jaarsveld (20) - Plays for the Lions, 2698 runs in 57 matches (average 67,5) for KES at a strike rate of 116. Highest score of 240*.
4. Thandi Tshabalala - (20) Eages/Free State offspinner, 26 wickets in 11 four-day matches, VERY effective in the Pro20, 20 wickets in 12 games at an economy rate of 6.26. Best bowling figures of 4/13 off four overs.
5. Alviro Petersen (24) - RH bat, Northerns/Titans, played 35 FC matches at an average of 37.25 with six centuries and ten fifties. Very talented and aggressive. Good fielder too.

Honourable mentions: Enoch Nkwe, Ethy Mbalathi, Paul Harris, Johan Botha, Davy Jacobs, Cliffie Deacon, Benji Hector, Imraan Khan, Stephen Cook, Loots Bosman
No Grey College alumni to talk about? Interestingly I cracked open our college's scorebook from our tour to SA and there, opening the batting for I guess it would have been Affies, was AB de V! Also Ross Nel at Parktown 1st XI battered us everywhere, he's only 15..

Last edited:

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
No Grey College alumni to talk about? Interestingly I cracked open our college's scorebook from our tour to SA and there, opening the batting for I guess it would have been Affies, was AB de V! Also Ross Nel at Parktown 1st XI battered us everywhere, he's only 15..
Not much by way of cricketers down there...I mean there are lots of talented players around that area but the majority of them would pick rugby. For example, Johan Mostert is a Free State junior cricketer but he also played Craven Week rugby...once you play Craven Week it's only a matter of time before you go professional. And with the u/19 and u/21 sides being so successful you can't really blame them. AB de Villiers and Herschelle Gibbs are some of a small minority that chose cricket over rugby when they could have easily played at a provincial or national level. So I was a bit careful to throw a few of them in there in case they chose rugby instead. There was a really talented Grey College player by the name of Andre de Lange who matriculated in 2002, but I can't seem to find any other stats for him bar school level, so he's either playing rugby or he's in one of the club/university cricket teams. Morne van Wyk's brother Divan also looks to be a good player.

My school kicks off their cricket season by hosting some sort of festival from Saturday until Monday, involving schools from Cape Town, East London and PE. At least it's easier than starting off against Wynberg, which is exactly what happened last year. We lost by 39 runs but Richard Levi could only manage 15...off about five balls 8-)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Kenroy K. Peters (23 years)
Windward Islands

An accurate left-arm seamer who tends to get the ball to swing, in a similar fashion to Pedro Collins. Particular merits for eventual selection in ODI cricket with a List-A average of just over 20 and an economy rate of 3.5. In FC cricket he's solid too - an average of 25podd with economy of 2.30.

He played 3 U19 Tests for WI and took 16 wickets at 12podd. In his 4 U19 ODIs, he took 8 wickets at 9.12.

Tishan Maraj (20 years)
Trinidad and Tobago

My pick for the next big West Indian batsman IF he doesn't decide to pursue a career in medicine ahead of cricket. This young man has all the skills. He looks like scoring runs every time he goes to crease, and more often than not, he scores them. Good technique and a good head on his shoulders.

359 runs in his first 6 FC games, Maraj has passed 50 on 4 occasions in his 10 innings. He reached 99 in the Carib Beer Cup this year, but I believe he was run out. A HUGE talent for the future.

Odean V. Brown (23 years)
Jamaica

A rare sight in regional cricket - a legspinner. Whilst Brown doesn't yet have the variety or control to be a Test class spinner, I do think that he will be picked in the near future, regardless of whether he's ready. His stats are good to look at, averaging 23podd in FC cricket, but with an economy rate of 3.43. A decent young prospect.

Richard Kelly (21 years)
Trinidad and Tobago

A bright allround prospect. Kelly splashed onto the scene in last year's President's Cup, bowling superbly throughout the tournament and showing himself as big hitting danger. Kelly has not yet realized his potential with the bat in either FC or OD cricket, but scored a brisk 83 and another half-century earlier this year.

His 34 FC wickets have come at a nice average of 24.02, while 13 OD wickets cost 24.07 each. A nippy seamer, Kelly has variety with the ball, and that's what gets him wickets. I predict he will play ODI cricket before Tests, if Tests at all.

Sewnarine Chattergoon (24 years)
Guyana

Experienced in terms of West Indies domestic cricket, Chattergoon has played over 30 FC matches and scored over 1600 runs. Not a heavy runscorer, Chattergoon has always been consistent. Decent technique and a willingness to bat for long periods enable him as a potential Test cricketer in the future.

His legbreaks are perhaps underused, as they can be quite useful, especially in limited overs cricket.
No Sammy :huh:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
Not much by way of cricketers down there...I mean there are lots of talented players around that area but the majority of them would pick rugby. For example, Johan Mostert is a Free State junior cricketer but he also played Craven Week rugby...once you play Craven Week it's only a matter of time before you go professional. And with the u/19 and u/21 sides being so successful you can't really blame them. AB de Villiers and Herschelle Gibbs are some of a small minority that chose cricket over rugby when they could have easily played at a provincial or national level. So I was a bit careful to throw a few of them in there in case they chose rugby instead. There was a really talented Grey College player by the name of Andre de Lange who matriculated in 2002, but I can't seem to find any other stats for him bar school level, so he's either playing rugby or he's in one of the club/university cricket teams. Morne van Wyk's brother Divan also looks to be a good player.

My school kicks off their cricket season by hosting some sort of festival from Saturday until Monday, involving schools from Cape Town, East London and PE. At least it's easier than starting off against Wynberg, which is exactly what happened last year. We lost by 39 runs but Richard Levi could only manage 15...off about five balls 8-)
Ah thats cool, yeah I've seen Divan van Wyk play but he seems to have faded off the map, I havent heard much more about him.. SA cricket were lucky to have Allan Donald, another guy from Bloem' I guess then who could have easily chosen rugby..

Slightly off topic, but do you know anything about Old Grey Cricket club opposite the Police Station in Mount Croix? I might be playing for them a bit but havent checked the place out before..

Blaze

Banned
crickhowell said:
NZ

Ash Newdick- 18yr old who I went to school with last year, great guy and an excellent batsman. Saw him make 150+ in the Wellington U19 trials last November (one of the best innings ive ever seen) and made a hundred in one of his first Pearce Cup (top Wellington grade) games.

I got him out once so I hope he makes it.. will be my claim to fame.