• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pepsi WCL - Global Div 7, Guernsey 2009:

Predict 2 Teams Who Could Qualify?

• Total voters

stumpski

International Captain
Gibraltar have four players in their 40s - including the captain, Christian Rocca, who turned 44 in March (the oldest current international player?). So they may not be too mobile in the field, expect a few threes (and the odd four) to be run to them.

Not surprising really, I don't surprise they have a big pool to pick from.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Gibraltar have four players in their 40s - including the captain, Christian Rocca, who turned 44 in March (the oldest current international player?). So they may not be too mobile in the field, expect a few threes (and the odd four) to be run to them.Not surprising really, I don't surprise they have a big pool to pick from.

Is the guy in your sig their 'Gary Sobers' all rounder.

And to the CWeb Hieracrchy Sticky this now!

stumpski

International Captain
Just a bit of a long shot, and probably one for the other guys in the book team ... but could Jeremy Frith of Guernesey be any relation to top cricket writer David? Shares two forenames with him. I don't have Frith's autobiography so I don't know if he was living in Surrey in the 1970s.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
I dont understand - If so many Islands are playing under one flag called West Indies, Y cant all Channel Islands play as one team. They have so less population that they can never be a Test Team (If Test Status Exist) even 100 years from now. A team must be selected from:
1) Jersey
2) Guernsey
3) Alderney
4) Sark
5) Gibraltar (If Possible)
6) Isle Of Wight (If Possible)

That should make anaother decent european team. Wat say?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I dont understand - If so many Islands are playing under one flag called West Indies, Y cant all Channel Islands play as one team. They have so less population that they can never be a Test Team (If Test Status Exist) even 100 years from now. A team must be selected from:
1) Jersey
2) Guernsey
3) Alderney
4) Sark
5) Gibraltar (If Possible)
6) Isle Of Wight (If Possible)

That should make anaother decent european team. Wat say?
Gibraltar is the bit between Spain and Africa.

The Isle of Wight is nowhere near the other four islands, and Sark has about six people living on it.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
6 people? God how are they surviving? Should be fun I guess... K wat about the remaining Islands? They can have one team representing them? Wikipedia says Sark has a population of 600!

Last edited:

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
19th May - Scores Update:
Match 01: Japan: 150/8 (50 Overs) V Guernsey
Match 02: Suriname: 260/8 (50 Overs) V Nigeria
Match 03: Baharain: 235/9 (50 Overs) V Gibraltar

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Six, six hundred... what's the difference? Barely inhabited, and I find it hard to believe there's even a ground there. The two big islands play off against one another fairly regularly inter-island at all age levels and are broadly competitive with a English district (i.e. a quarter or fifth of a county).

There's no reason I can come up with though as to why they cannot compete internationally as a federation, particularly as it is the CICB rather than GCB & JCB. Tightarsed bastards who decided that an open plan one room bunkhouse was appropriate accommodation for a touring team.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Six, six hundred... what's the difference? Barely inhabited, and I find it hard to believe there's even a ground there. The two big islands play off against one another fairly regularly inter-island at all age levels and are broadly competitive with a English district (i.e. a quarter or fifth of a county).

There's no reason I can come up with though as to why they cannot compete internationally as a federation, particularly as it is the CICB rather than GCB & JCB. Tightarsed bastards who decided that an open plan one room bunkhouse was appropriate accommodation for a touring team.
Even Sark has a Cricket team.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Suriname 30/8 V Japan? WTF is wrong with them, One match they palyed so well & the next they collapse like this? Guess their team is like One Man Show, Get'em out & the rest follow!

stumpski

International Captain
I can understand how cricket would have come to Suriname, given its proximity to Guyana, but I'd be interested to know how it was introduced to Japan. Hardly seems an obvious area for the game to expand, less so than South-East Asia for example.

Chubb

International Regular
I guess it was expats playing and interested natives taking it up after seeing them in the park- a big country like Japan there are bound to be some to take an interest.

Chubb

International Regular
The best part with Japan is they are all locals & not expats... That's good signs!
Not all of their team are native Japanese, but there is a good proportion. Obviously they aren't going to play tests for fifty years (or ever!) but at least the seed is there.... The other really promising ground would be in Nigeria- if cricket could catch on a bit there it would be really good for the rest of Africa.

Who was the Aussie bloke on here who'd lived in Japan for a while? Maybe he'd be able to tell us some more.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Haha, just looking at the Japanese side. I played cricket with Patrick Giles-Jones once, when I was over there. In fact, he was on the same scholarship as me.

Small world.

Haha, and he took 7 for 9 the other day.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I guess it was expats playing and interested natives taking it up after seeing them in the park- a big country like Japan there are bound to be some to take an interest.
Yeah, Japan is big, but not very spacious. And everybody is to busy to play a long game like cricket.

I played once when I was in Japan for 5 years. It was on a dirt field in the middle of Kobe. Only about the size of a small football pitch.

There were teams of 4-5. A team of Indians, a couple of teams of Aussies with Kiwis scattered amongst them, and a team of Brits. Can't remember seeing any Japanese. Anyways, most of these guys were just English teachers or students, and it was nothing serious with most guys playing while intoxicated.

That was in 2004, I never heard about cricket in Japan after that. Maybe I was in the wrong circles, but I'd say the only cricket that goes on in Japan is that of groups of foreigners having a hit around. Japanese just have too tight a schedule.

And come to think of it, I did try teaching cricket for a week when I was teaching in Japan in 2002. The good ole Yellow plastic cricket bats and stumps. The Japanese kids just reverted to playing baseball.

Yeah, so chances of Japan ever getting involved in cricket?
0.1%