• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peak Imran vs Peak Marshall

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
Very tough, will go Marshall by very very little, cause of his insane WPM in a very competitive attack, and simultaneous domination across conditions(amazing series in Ind, Aus, Eng and Pak).

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran. Yes, Marshall took 6 WPM, but Imran was averaging in the mid-teens for a fairly long period, we haven't seen any bowler do anything like that, plus Imran faced the WI too.

A good article on peaks here which makes a convincing case for why it should be Imran. He did better than Barnes.

Last edited:

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
Imran. Yes, Marshall took 6 WPM, but Imran was averaging in the mid-teens for a fairly long period, we haven't seen any bowler do anything like that, plus Imran faced the WI too.

A good article on peaks here which makes a convincing case for why it should be Imran. He did better than Barnes.

Either is fine for me actually. Imran too has a very strong case

Slifer

International Captain

Same article also makes a case for Brian who we both know you don't rate that highly.....

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Classic Anantha. So much blabbering when he could have just posted 2 tables.

subshakerz

International Coach
The problem for me with this peak is being out injured for nearly 2 years of it. Marshall has a ton more wickets over similar timeframes, and it's not a scheduling thing.
You can do a similar 27 test peak before the injury and he is still ahead of Marshall. I dont see the point though since he was pretty much the same bowler in his bowling prime before and after.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I think we can quibble on the time frames. I prefer 80 to 88 for Imran and 83 to 89 for Marshall.

I can see a good case for Marshall based on WPM, what gives Imran the real edge to me is back to back awesome series against WI in 86 and 88.

Bolo.

International Captain
You can do a similar 27 test peak before the injury and he is still ahead of Marshall. I dont see the point though since he was pretty much the same bowler in his bowling prime before and after.
Na. His average goes up to 18 and he's substantially behind Marshall on wickets if you look pre injury. You need to say that Imrans time out injured should not count against his peak to put him ahead. I can't do that.

I agree that 27 tests is way too short. To Anantha's credit though, there isn't going to be a satisfactory answer, and he at least has found something pretty objective.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

Hey, you voted for Marshall however.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think we can quibble on the time frames. I prefer 80 to 88 for Imran and 83 to 89 for Marshall.

I can see a good case for Marshall based on WPM, what gives Imran the real edge to me is back to back awesome series against WI in 86 and 88.
Imran 80-88:

1716438192568.png

Marshal 83-89:

1716438225781.png