• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pathan has come of age!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
GladiatrsInBlue said:
He went through a bad patch when Pak toured India, and thankfully he has regained his form.
No, he bowled exactly as he normally bowls and Pakistan exposed him as Australia did.
Still would be 10 times better than dusty Indian pitches.
Not neccessarily - might be a bit better, but sometimes only midly better.
The silly thing is to write someone off before the tour has begun.Some Aussies wrote off Englaish bowlers and ended up looking like fools, likewsie Miandad wrote off IKP before India's tour of Pakistan only to eat his words later.
Nope, it's perfectly logical to talk-down bowlers who've done little or nothing. Of course, they can surprise you and sometimes do.
But more often players who've performed poorly for a length of time continue to do so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Coutless times!
Indeed? It's my understanding that it's been amended once (having been investigated and found not to be suspect on one other occasion) and now has been done so again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Its ironic how ppl who are jealous of IKP's success are now accusing their nice neighbours of being jealous of their shameful chuckers!
No-one in their right mind would be jealous of a bowler with a Test-match average in the high 40s (allied to a terrible ODI economy-rate).

Shoaib

Banned
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Its ironic how ppl who are jealous of IKP's success are now accusing their nice neighbours of being jealous of their shameful chuckers!
Sorry kid,I forgot that IKP has been very successful in maintaing a test match average in high 40s & a terrible economy rate in odi's.And those bowlers who have their bowling actions amended & cleared by ICC can't be called chuckers anymore.Its u who is jealous because u dont want to accept a simple fact that your country has never been able to produce a good fast bowler (excluding Kapil Dev).Your jelousy for our great fast bowlers would neither do any harm to them nor to cricket at the whole. Pathan has come of age!" is one of the most rubbish threads ever on CW forum.I never wish to get indulged in a flame bait but guys like nehrafan,Gladiatrsinblue & wahindiahwah always force me to do so by playing with my sentiments (using extremly objectionable words for people of my country & our cricket stars).India has produce some great batsmen & good spinners but this country is really barren as far as fast bowling talent is concerned.Its a known reality & they should accept it open- heartedly rather than wasting their time in labelling great Pakistani fast bowlers as "chuckers".I accept every reality & bitter truth about Pakistan cricket like we haven't been able to find a good test opening batsman since the retirement of Saeed Anwar but these 3 guys r never ready to accept any facts related to their country.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
And Flintoff and Jones are swing-bowlers who merely happen to be quick as well. If they simply bowled fast and didn't swing it they'd be useless. In fact, both did used to be quick without movement, and both were utterly rubbish until very recently. It's only this summer last that they've both been good bowlers.
Harmison, who does rely on pace alone, is a rubbish bowler, and has played no real part in the most recent successes. He's had 2 good Tests in his last 14 (Bangladesh not included, of course), 1 of which was lost.
At least they had pace. That made their swing bowling more effective. Compare that with someone like Craig White or Martin Bicknell, or any of the Indian swing bowlers, who get decent swing but can't pose any threat due to their lack of pace. Harmison may be 'rubbish', but still, as a part of a bowling combination, he complements the seam/swing brigade well. While he dos the bust-up act and bowls like a cannon, Hoggard does it easy, moving the ball. Jones can move the ball off the pitch at a good pace, while Flintoff is more of a deck-hitting bowler with a lot of pace. Now that's a combination that can work. Not three Indian medium-pacers who get some degree of movement but can't rattle the batting side.
Richard said:
There are very few 90mph bowlers in any sides ATM - aside from the English three mentioned above, Shoaib, Lee and Bond are the only three around at the moment. Sri Lanka, with Malinga, haven't noticed anything - and Shoaib again is not a good bowler because of his pace, it's because of his swing (mainly reverse). Lee is just rubbish and hasn't been in the team when 3 genuinely good seamers have been in nick, and Bond has barely played anyway and has really only influenced 1 Test out of his 8.
Malinga's built like a little breadstick, so don't expect too much from him- he's not even as fast, and can't maintain that pace. There's a major difference between reverse-swing at an easy pace and Shoaib's explosive pace supplemented by reverse-swing. He may not get as much movement as you would find in England's county matches, but it still works.

The Aussie attack have taken 20 wickets cheaply very often when Lee's been bowling, and they're a powerful ODI bowling unit, when he's a relatively permanent fixture. Lee has had a good Ashes series, but there's not been enough support. Bond ripped through a seven (or eight) strong Indian batting lineup, taking six for not too many.
Richard said:
Quite simply, unless the fast men get the figures, they haven't contributed.
I can't really recall too many occasions India have crumbled against express pace in itself.
There have been no fast men to get the figures. We've seen Brett Lee, Allan Donald, Dilhara Fernando, Nantie Hayward and Shane Bond unsettle many Indian teams.
If so, that's a crying shame - and it has to be asked, why does not someone with a World-renowned reputation for coaching and scouting quality seam-bowlers not get involved? Someone like Ian Bishop, Andy Roberts, Bob Cottam or Allan Donald
I really don't know; maybe a case of indifference. Or perhaps these old experts think pace counts for nothing, only seam and swing matters. Of course, it's never worked.

Richard said:
No, he bowled exactly as he normally bowls and Pakistan exposed him as Australia did.
QUOTE]

No, during Pak tour IKP was totally out of blue, he wasn't able to swing the ball atall.After that tour he seems to have sorted out the problem and is now swinging the ball with ease.

Not neccessarily - might be a bit better, but sometimes only midly better
Actually something it can be vastly different keeping in mind England's overcast conditions!!

Indeed? It's my understanding that it's been amended once (having been investigated and found not to be suspect on one other occasion) and now has been done so again
And this thing is going to get repeated over and over again, this madness should just stop!

Shoaib said:
Sorry kid,I forgot that IKP has been very successful in maintaing a test match average in high 40s & a terrible economy rate in odi's.And those bowlers who have their bowling actions amended & cleared by ICC can't be called chuckers anymore.

That bowling action was tested at UWA, but when he resumes active play on the pitch he gets back to his devious act and start chucking again.Shabbir has been a chucker and will be a chucker, untill and unlesss he plays cricket for a considerable length of time without being called for chucking, he will never gain respect and will continue to be a pariah on the field.

I'm sorry but i don't see why a pariah like Shabbir is being compared by IKP?? IKP has potential to go down in the history as a great bowler (in the words of Imran and Waseem), Shabbir has only one place to go and that is UWA!!

India has produce some great batsmen & good spinners but this country is really barren as far as fast bowling talent is concerned.Its a known reality & they should accept it open- heartedly rather than wasting their time in labelling great Pakistani fast bowlers as "chuckers".
First of all can you tell me as to which great Pakistan's fast bowler was labelled a chucker by me??

I never called Imran,Akram and Waqar a chucker.I called Shabbir a chuker, which he is so stop whinging about it.I hope you don't regard Shabbir as a "great bowler" coz the guy isn't even a bowler to begin with.

As for fast bowling talent is concerned, India is miles ahead of Pakistan.India don't have a bowler of the class of Akhtar, but they have bowlers with great potentials.Pakistan on the other hand have just Akhtar in its team, what else do they have? A chucker who take a trip to UWA twice a year? or a bald man who averages more than 70 at test level!!

SJS said:
You two go to Siachen and fight it out there. Hope its a fight to finish :sleep:
Well its not a fight, its more of an argument and i haven't nothing personal against Shoaib .

AS for Siachin, i wouldn't mind going there except for the fact that it will very cold, and that such a move by me might result in Siachin getting polluted by chuckers from accross the borders :yucky:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Actually something it can be vastly different keeping in mind England's overcast conditions!!
Why are you talking about something nearly 2 years away though?

If we've got to wait that long for him to next perform, then maybe someone else should be selected?

Shoaib

Banned
GladiatrsInBlue said:
I'm sorry but i don't see why a pariah like Shabbir is being compared by IKP?? IKP has potential to go down in the history as a great bowler (in the words of Imran and Waseem), Shabbir has only one place to go and that is UWA!!
Our great bowlers had their bowling averages inearly 20s & your half-skilled bowlers can't do it even if they play cricket for more than a 100 years.Can u name any fast bowler in Indian history having an average that low after playing more than 30 tests?No,u can't because your country is barren and talent-less asfar as fast bowling is concerned.High claims don't make lagends,u have to prove yourself by your performance as our great fast bowlers did.
GladiatrsInBlue said:
As for fast bowling talent is concerned, India is miles ahead of Pakistan.India don't have a bowler of the class of Akhtar, but they have bowlers with great potentials.Pakistan on the other hand have just Akhtar in its team, what else do they have? A chucker who take a trip to UWA twice a year? or a bald man who averages more than 70 at test level!!
We have Umar Gul who mad your so called "world-class batsmen" look like even worst than Bangladesh when ur team toured Pakistan last year.Besides,we have Riaz Afridi,Mohammad Irshad,Mohammad Khalil,Mohammad Asif,Najaf Shah,Fazl-e-Akbar,Waqar Ahmed & many others who r 100m times better than your half-skilled bowlers.Whole world knows that we have more fast bowling talent than any other country & our dozens of fast bowling legends r a proof of it.Pakistan will keep on producing fast bowling legends as it has been doing in the past.

Last edited:
Shoaib said:
Our great bowlers had their bowling averages inearly 20s & your half-skilled bowlers can't do it even if they play cricket for more than a 100 years.Can u name any fast bowler in Indian history having an average that low after playing more than 30 tests?No,u can't because your country is barren and talent-less asfar as fast bowling is concerned.High claims don't make lagends,u have to prove yourself by your performance as our great fast bowlers did.
STOP LIVING IN PAST.Talk about the presnt team. I agree with you that in past Pakistan team had a superior pace attack as compared to India, but now that is NO LONGER the case.

We have Umar Gul who mad your so called "world-class batsmen" look like even worst than Bangladesh when ur team toured Pakistan last year.Besides,we have Riaz Afridi,Mohammad Irshad,Mohammad Khalil,Mohammad Asif,Najaf Shah,Fazl-e-Akbar,Waqar Ahmed & many others who r 100m times better than your half-skilled bowlers.Whole world knows that we have more fast bowling talent than any other country & our dozens of fast bowling legends r a proof of it.Pakistan will keep on producing fast bowling legends as it has been doing in the past
To answer that,

1 Umar Gul... If UMar GUl made India worst than Bangladesh than IKP and Balaji made Pakistan worse than Afghanistan as IKP and Balaji helped India win the test series against Pakistan and humiliated 150 million Pakistani fans :p

2 Riaz Afridi... The guy has been reported for suspect action.. another shameful product from Pakistan.

3M Irsaad... Irshaad who??? What has been his achievement so far??

4 M Khalil.... L :D L, the fact that you mention him and that he's still considered the best left arm bowler in Pakistan indicates the sorry tale of Pak fast bowling.Khalil was pasted to all part of the ground when that joker played against India.Ever wondered why Akram spend time with IKP and Zaheer Khan but refuse to meet loonies like Khalil and Irshaad???

And the other bowlers you mentioned, frankly they are not worth talking about.

I'm sorry but i don't see how will Pak keep going on producing Fast bowling legends?? From the given list of fast bowler (which you provided) i can only say that Pak will keep on producing great chuckers (Riaz Afridi, Shabbir, Tariq Mahmood & Junaid Zia).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GladiatrsInBlue said:
STOP LIVING IN PAST.Talk about the presnt team. I agree with you that in past Pakistan team had a superior pace attack as compared to India, but now that is NO LONGER the case.
Even though just 1 of the Pakistani quicks is better than the Indians all put together?

Shoaib

Banned
marc71178 said:
Even though just 1 of the Pakistani quicks is better than the Indians all put together?
Definitly,Shoaib Akhtar alone is better than all of India's "club level pacers" like Nehra,Balaji & Pathan put together but they r not ready to accept the reality & consider their club level bowlers better than legends like Sarfaraz Nawaz,Imran Khan,Wasim Akram,Waqar Younis & Shoaib Akhtar.I dont see India producing a good fast bowler in next ten years atleast.India has never been able to produce a good fast bowler averaging below 25 & they should start working on 100s of weaknesses of their bowlers rather than wating ttheir time in labelling our bowlers(who r lot better than their club level pacers) as 'chuckers'.

nehrafan

Banned
marc71178 said:
But Shoaib haven't played for Pakistan since a long time.Alos Shoaibs record against India is embaressing, even though he's a good bowler but he simply can't perform against Indian batsmen.

nehrafan

Banned
Shoaib said:
Definitly,Shoaib Akhtar alone is better than all of India's "club level pacers" like Nehra,Balaji & Pathan put together but they r not ready to accept the reality & consider their club level bowlers better than legends like Sarfaraz Nawaz,Imran Khan,Wasim Akram,Waqar Younis & Shoaib Akhtar.I dont see India producing a good fast bowler in next ten years atleast.India has never been able to produce a good fast bowler averaging below 25 & they should start working on 100s of weaknesses of their bowlers rather than wating ttheir time in labelling our bowlers(who r lot better than their club level pacers) as 'chuckers'.
Shoaib... Its time for you to wake up and smell the coffee, the first thing you should understand is that the year is 2005, yes 2005 and not 1995 or 1985. In 80's and 90's Pakistan use to have great bowlers like the one you mentioned, unfortunately now the land is absolutely barren! Pakistan's fat bowling is all about Akhtar, without him its impossible to say as to who exactly will be leading the attack.

Pakisatan has Sami, a totally flop fast bowler.

has Shabbir... probably the greatest chucker of all time.

has Rana Naveed... averages 76 in test matches.

has Gul... a one match wonder and ten hospital's patient!

Imran Khan once said that bowlers play a dominant role in winning test matches.If one look at Pakistan's test rating, they are bracketed with the likes of Bangladesh and Zimb in ICC test rating.This clearly shows that Pak fast bowlers have done nothing but getting pasted to all parts of ground and making headlines about their suspect action.

I really don't understand why you are bent upon comparing Indian pacers with pansy Pak pacers. Irfan, Zaheer, Balaji and Nehra are well respected pacers nearly everywhere, unforunately the same can't be said about Pak bowlers (with the exception of Akhtar)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nehrafan said:
But Shoaib haven't played for Pakistan since a long time.Alos Shoaibs record against India is embaressing, even though he's a good bowler but he simply can't perform against Indian batsmen.
Whereas the Indian attack can't perform against anyone not called Bangladesh or Zimbabwe...

nehrafan

Banned
Shoaib said:
.Besides,we have Riaz Afridi,Mohammad Irshad,.
You take real pride in mentioning M Irshaad name. Can you tell me what has this guy really done so far?

A bowler is judge by his performace in international matches, M Irshaad might have made waves at Madresaas level competition but he has done nothing at international level to suggest that the guy even has any potential.

Probably another case of dodgy action.... PCB should contact the professors at in advance UWA before the ICC take notice of this blokes action.

Or maybe the UWA should open a campus in Karachi or Lahore??