• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pat Cummins receives highest honour in world cricket - Australian Test Captaincy

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't see this going well. No slant on Cummins whatsoever but this is an enormous task when you take into consideration how much work he puts in with the ball. Can imagine Cameron Green will be given a bigger opportunity with the ball now to take the workload off

Gob

International Coach
This is going to be the equivalent of the office when both Michael and Jim were made co managers. TPC will manage day to day stuff (setting fields, changing bowlers etc) like Jim and Pat will look at the big picture stuff (handling media, making sure Davey doesn't do anything stupid) like Michael

Will end in a disaster obviously

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gotta say for some reason over the last 5-10 years, almost all of the galaxy brain cricket stuff has been coming from Australia. At least they keep entertaining.

Spark

Global Moderator
Welcome.

One good thing for Australia is that Finch is still around as the LO captain. As long as they can find another guy to take over from Finch for the LO formats, Cummins can manage his workload in those formats and continue the test captaincy.
This is going to be a problem soon, Finch can't have long left in his career and it's not that easy to think of an obvious non-bowler replacement who is a long-term fixture in the side. Maybe Alex Carey?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This is going to be a problem soon, Finch can't have long left in his career and it's not that easy to think of an obvious non-bowler replacement who is a long-term fixture in the side. Maybe Alex Carey?
Carey captained during the WI series when finch was out injured, marsh also an option, both are fairly assured of there spots. Carey is a horrible, inexperienced tactical captain and it's shown when he's captained for Aus-A.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So many problems you can solve if CA can be less dickish about the most obvious captain choice in your side.

Gob

International Coach
Warner is actually the best captaincy candidate if you are willing to completely forget all the baggage

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
pretty disappointed with smith getting the VC unless that's where he stays, but it's a great day for australian cricket to see pat cummins get the top job
I don't mind Smith as vice because he was okay tactically even though he was an awful leader, and that's where Cummins will need the most help.

I am worried it's a stepping stone back to the C though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
whenever people say this they bring up like the one ODI where he was captaining whilst Waugh was off the field
I loved some of his T20 franchise captaincy. His commentary and social media post retirement haven't strengthened his case though - I definitely wouldn't have wanted him at a selection meeting.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
So I randomly flick on the TV this morning, according to sunrise (yeah, I know) Cummins is the first fast bowling captain since Richie Benaud. What a bunch of muppets

M
U
P
P
E
T
S

Muppets.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why wouldn't you be watching ABC News Breakfast like any thinking person? Or listening to RN? If you want to avoid politics then the Big Sports Breakfast. Come on.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why wouldn't you be watching ABC News Breakfast like any thinking person? Or listening to RN? If you want to avoid politics then the Big Sports Breakfast. Come on.
It was a joke. The reality is with small kids, at that time of day it's ABC kids.