• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paine and Ashwin interactions

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Anyone hear this on the Fox coverage? Stump mics were really clear.

Ashwin pulled away from facing Lyon 3 times because of Paine’s sledging. And tbh it was pretty crass stuff, had very audible on the coverage.

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, was just interested in ppl’s opinions.

Red

Additionally Paine has come out fairly strongly condemning the alleged racist remarks toward Indian players from the crowd, but his comments towards Ashwin were far more hurtful than a throwaway racist barb that might’ve come from some dickhead in the crowd.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe Paine's frustration at not getting a wicket got the better of him. Ashwin was quite right to pull away as he did. I also believe that the subsequent dropped catch may have been partially caused by Paine losing concentration - he seemed rather lead-footed.

Red

Can’t seem to get the footage on here for some reason but it’s on YouTube just by searching their names

Red

Meh I don't see too much in it really, just having a few digs at each other. Wade is the one that always comes across really badly to me, but I imagine Paine instigated this
Saying “no one likes you, no one in India likes you, your teammates don’t like you” (with some insider knowledge) to someone is far more hurtful than some drunk random yelling “black ****” or something equally banal from the crowd, imo

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The content wasn't great but the thing that pissed me off was Paine continuing the barbs as Ashwin had taken guard and was awaiting Lyon. That's out of line. Keep the chat going if you must between balls but he was carrying it on far too long into the set up for the next delivery.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Saying “no one likes you, no one in India likes you, your teammates don’t like you” (with some insider knowledge) to someone is far more hurtful than some drunk random yelling “black ****” or something equally banal from the crowd, imo
I mean in isolation it appears quite crass, but frankly this is professional sport, things are going to be said. If it was about his family, religion or heritage then that completely crosses a line imo, but otherwise find it a bit of a storm in a teacup. Wade chipping in with the broken rib remark is pretty dirty though

EDIT - Don't condone this though, but to me it didn't cross a line. Hopefully Paine can stfu from now on as it is pure cringe

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Hardly the worst thing a cricketer has ever done on the field, but not in keeping with his brand as the good guy. We've all done stupid things when tired and/or in a tight situation. Paine was right to apologise and everyone should just move on. Questions about his place in the team should not come down to this issue. His catching and tactics were a far bigger problem for him yesterday.