• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overused terms in cricket journalism/writing/punditry

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batsman takes a swing towards cow corner, ball kisses the outside edge of bat and sails over the 3rd slip and towards the boundary:

Samuel Badree: a fortuitous boundary for so-and-so batsman

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
'Inspired performance' - I understand inspiring performance but what is inspired performance? This is a phrase that gets used exclusively for good performances which doesn't make sense to me. You could be inspired and all on a given day but still put in a **** performance so why use it selectively for good performances? Completely useless phrase afaiac

'Held their nerves' - Usually said for winning team at the end of a close match. Again a post-facto phrase that means nothing IMO. A team may win the game on the last ball of the game with an edge running to the boundary and commentary goes "they held their nerves". May be both teams were ****ting their pants, but one has to inevitably win?

Maybe I overthink.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
'Inspired performance' - I understand inspiring performance but what is inspired performance? This is a phrase that gets used exclusively for good performances which doesn't make sense to me. You could be inspired and all on a given day but still put in a **** performance so why use it selectively for good performances? Completely useless phrase afaiac

'Held their nerves' - Usually said for winning team at the end of a close match. Again a post-facto phrase that means nothing IMO. A team may win the game on the last ball of the game with an edge running to the boundary and commentary goes "they held their nerves". May be both teams were ****ting their pants, but one has to inevitably win?

Maybe I overthink.
1634615606821.png

thierry henry

International Coach
Do writers still use "nicking off"? I'd never heard anyone use that when I was a kid and then all of a sudden people kept saying it.
Honestly I'd never heard this until maybe 5 years ago and I started saying it because it sounded like a "cricket bloke" thing to say. I figured it was an Australian thing or something. Guess it's English?

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Positives. We have to stay positive. We'll pick ourselves and take the positives. He brings so much positivity. Yes we lost...badly...but there are positives to take. It's all about staying positive.