• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Only 3

Select your three

• Total voters

kyear2

International Coach
If you could only choose 3 players to form the nucleus of your team for a decade, which 3 are you choosing. Let's assume the other guys are at or above the mean.

And no I don't expect anyone to chose the 3 that I did, just made me wonder whom everyone would come up with. Though I do have some kind of idea.

Coronis

International Coach
Don't think I left out any obvious candidates, but let me know if there's any.
Sutcliffe, Chappell, Gavaskar, Sangakkara imo.

(personally I wouldn’t choose these guys but imo they should be options - considering there are 7-8 pure bowling options, there should be more than 10 pure batting options, and another keeper/batsman for balance, just my personal opinion)

kyear2

International Coach

(personally I wouldn’t choose these guys but imo they should be options - considering there are 7-8 pure bowling options, there should be more than 10 pure batting options, and another keeper/batsman for balance, just my personal opinion)
I chose the top 8 batsmen and bowlers from the recent polls and 4 of the better all round cricketers I could think of that might Garner votes.
Though 20 was a good round number, and doubt more than 8 would even get votes.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
He was one of the 3 names that were on the periphery, and would be relevant if it was 5 or more, but is anyone literally choosing him, or does he look good on the list?
I'd vote for him. An absolute legend for any English teenager watching him at his peak.

Coronis

International Coach
He was one of the 3 names that were on the periphery, and would be relevant if it was 5 or more, but is anyone literally choosing him, or does he look good on the list?
I chose the top 8 batsmen and bowlers from the recent polls and 4 of the better all round cricketers I could think of that might Garner votes.
Though 20 was a good round number, and doubt more than 8 would even get votes.
I mean 20 options and you’re only allowed 3, there’ll always be ones that don’t get picked by the majority of people. Proportionally there should be more batsmen than bowlers - you’re picking 3 players for a team and you pick more batsmen for a team than you do bowlers.

ataraxia

International Coach

But this imbalance is precisely why it makes sense to pick bowlers over batters: they're simply more valuable.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would actually be tempted to leave Sobers and just have Bradman and have the best possible pace bowler and best spinner.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unapologetically. I'm afraid in this day of cricket as entertainment rather than pure sport, we're going to need the swashbuckling heroics of Sir Viv instead of the more (comparatively speaking) workaday inevitability of Sir Donald.

That, and I completely skipped the first line in the poll and assumed this was one of those things where the Don was taken as read, but I'm gonna justify my ineptitude anyway. In fact, I don't think I really read the options in the poll and just alighted on Viv. And I would do so again. 10/10.