• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Test Wonders

Matt79

Global Moderator
I fear Chris Rogers may well fall into the category after his two innings here, but at least he will be remembered for that great catch in the first innings.
Where's the "wonder" part of the equation for Rogers?

howardj

International Coach
I'm fascinated by guys who just play one Test match.

The one Test wonders.

They are such tragic figures.

I bet the divorce rate for those guys is higher than the national average.

Such sad, tortured souls.

howardj

International Coach
I fear Chris Rogers may well fall into the category after his two innings here, but at least he will be remembered for that great catch in the first innings.
He'll be nothing but a tragic trivia question down at your local RSL in 30 years.

Which red-headed, freckled, bespectacled, five foot one inch West Australian was brought in to fill the impossibly big shoes of Australia's greatest opener in 2008? And then was never seen again.

stumpski

International Captain
What about RE 'Tip' Foster - his 287 at Sydney in December 1903 is still the highest score for England, or for that matter by any touring player, in a Test in Australia. Made more than half those runs with numbers 10 and 11 at the other end. Yet he only played seven more Tests (would've been many more if he'd been a professional).

In the modern era, the one I (just) remember is NZ offie Peter Petherick taking a hat-trick on debut against Pakistan - all good players too - but quickly became an expensive luxury on good tracks. May have been unlucky not to have toured here in '78 though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He'll be nothing but a tragic trivia question down at your local RSL in 30 years.

Which red-headed, freckled, bespectacled, five foot one inch West Australian was brought in to fill the impossibly big shoes of Australia's greatest opener in 2008? And then was never seen again.
Worst Australia Test Opener this century.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well depending on how much longer Hayden keeps going, he'll probably get another go - what are the other opening options at the moment?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well depending on how much longer Hayden keeps going, he'll probably get another go - what are the other opening options at the moment?
1 Mike Hussey
2 Simon Katich
3 Shane Watson

No one else is putting there hand up, actually I think the scheduling of Domestic Cricket needs a bit of a tweak, no one has played a first class match for ages..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hussey will never, and should not, open for Australia as anything other than a last-resort stop-gap. The guy is gold at 4, why mess with his success there.

Watson was being seriously considered, so I guess he's an option if his comeback goes well.

I don't see Katich getting back in the team tbh, I think the selectors have marked his card and moved on, but that's just my opinion/speculation.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hussey will never, and should not, open for Australia as anything other than a last-resort stop-gap. The guy is gold at 4, why mess with his success there.

Watson was being seriously considered, so I guess he's an option if his comeback goes well.

I don't see Katich getting back in the team tbh, I think the selectors have marked his card and moved on, but that's just my opinion/speculation.
Looks like Rogers will be playing for a while then.

BTW I just picked what I feel is the pecking order, I pretty much agree with what you have written. At the moment I'm more excited about the middle order players, the Pomersbachs, Baileys, Voges etc.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wasn't having a go at you, but just demonstrating that Rogers will get a few more chances... which is good - I seem to recall another West Australian getting a go in the shoes of an injured opener a little while ago and not meeting with much success in that first attempt. Hate to think that this would be the entirety of Roger's international career (unless it was because Hayden will keep going in his current vein til he's 45 :) )

Matt79

Global Moderator
Looks like Rogers will be playing for a while then.

BTW I just picked what I feel is the pecking order, I pretty much agree with what you have written. At the moment I'm more excited about the middle order players, the Pomersbachs, Baileys, Voges etc.
David Hussey as well.

If Hayden does last another few years, Phil Hughes could be a shot?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
David Hussey as well.

If Hayden does last another few years, Phil Hughes could be a shot?
In all honesty I can't really say yes or no, I've only seen him bat once in a one dayer where he only made 5 or so, no idea how good he is.

I like Ryan Broad from QLD, long way from being a candidate for the Test team though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, its nothing we can sensibly comment on now, given the bloke has just started his FC career. But there is a lot of buzz about him, so hopefully he'll do well.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hmm I disagree I think he's still in with a shot, the selectors in recent years have shown a real willingness to reward players for great domestic form even though other factors (ie age, previous test record) would suggest its not worth it. eg Darren Lehmann, Matthew Elliott.

His form this season is amazing and he's still very highly thought of within the team, plus the fact Watson is having a shocking time and Hodge is pretty out of sorts will help his cause.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Katich is the best domestic batsman still going in Australia, Ponting excluded, who hardly plays. He's opened before and that is his only chance to get back into the Test side. If Hayden retires soon, and Rogers fails, then he should bat there. It's not going to happen though as he's pushing the wrong side of 30 and the selectors will want to show some consistency and persevere with Rogers.