• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Test Wonders

neville cardus

International Debutant
Apology accepted.
I generally mean what I say and say what I mean (unless, of course, I am saying that I love someone); I have said it before and I shall say it again (albeit in somewhat clearer terms): I shall not apologise for the fantastical constructions of your deluded mind. You were wrong, Ms Thompson, and you know it, so drop it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I generally mean what I say and say what I mean (unless, of course, I am saying that I love someone); I have said it before and I shall say it again (albeit in somewhat clearer terms): I shall not apologise for the fantastical constructions of your deluded mind. You were wrong, Ms Thompson, and you know it, so drop it.

Of course I know you didn't apologise, that would take a man.
Your idea of a last word needs a bit of work too.:laugh:

jemo27

Cricket Spectator
Charles Bannerman, scored the first hundred in test Cricket and did not do much else after that

neville cardus

International Debutant
Of course I know you didn't apologise, that would take a man.
Oh, don't be a fool. You are getting decidedly desperate, and showing your true colours, if you think that chucking a barb at my masculinity will gain you any ground. That you feel the need to defend your argument with childish insults illustrates perfectly how flimsy your argument is.

Your idea of a last word needs a bit of work too.:laugh:
And that would seem to illustrate just how flimsy your brain is.

I should like to think that you are familiar with the phrase "getting the last word in". If you are not, there really ain't much hope for you; if you are, it oughtn't take too great an intellectual leap to work out that I cannot get the last word in until you have stopped attempting to do the same. The joke and inane smiley are both on you.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Charles Bannerman, scored the first hundred in test Cricket and did not do much else after that
Not even in the first-class game, by all accounts; indeed, that century, made against a rather browbeaten English side, was the Pocket Hercules's only first-class century. Perhaps "Prince EWS" would care to tell us more?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, don't be a fool. You are getting decidedly desperate, and showing your true colours, if you think that chucking a barb at my masculinity will gain you any ground. That you feel the need to defend your argument with childish insults illustrates perfectly how flimsy your argument is.

And that would seem to illustrate just how flimsy your brain is.

I should like to think that you are familiar with the phrase "getting the last word in". If you are not, there really ain't much hope for you; if you are, it oughtn't take too great an intellectual leap to work out that I cannot get the last word in until you have stopped attempting to do the same. The joke and inane smiley are both on you.
Nice try there Nev, but I've nothing to defend myself against, it was your initial error and the fact that you feel the need for this constant inane rambling proves it. It's you that's defending yourself and guess what...............you've just failed yet again.:laugh:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Nice try there Nev, but I've nothing to defend myself against, it was your initial error and the fact that you feel the need for this constant inane rambling proves it. It's you that's defending yourself and guess what...............you've just failed yet again.:laugh:
I am pleased that you have posted that, Ms Thompson, for it means that I no longer have to waste any time defending myself. However wrong I could prove you, and however stupid I could make you look, I could never hope to do any better than you have just done here.

It is sad, really, that you have shown yourself to be such a miserable cretin, with nothing better to do with your time than to make up rubbish and argue snottily about it on the internet. I quite used to enjoy your posts, taking them as I did for light-hearted Aussie piss-taking rather than the arrogant, self-serving muck that they truly are.

I would advise, sincerely, that you take a long, hard look in the mirror.

And that is my final word on the matter.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I am pleased that you have posted that, Ms Thompson, for it means that I no longer have to waste any time defending myself. However wrong I could prove you, and however stupid I could make you look, I could never hope to do any better than you have just done here.

It is sad, really, that you have shown yourself to be such a miserable cretin, with nothing better to do with your time than to make up rubbish and argue snottily about it on the internet. I quite used to enjoy your posts, taking them as I did for light-hearted Aussie piss-taking rather than the arrogant, self-serving muck that they truly are.

I would advise, sincerely, that you take a long, hard look in the mirror.

And that is my final word on the matter.

Nev my old mate they're already naming a trophy after how stupid you've made yourself look.:laugh:

I probably should mention that I'm not Australian but I wouldn't want you to burst another blood vessel at yet another mistake you've made. :laugh:

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Not even in the first-class game, by all accounts; indeed, that century, made against a rather browbeaten English side, was the Pocket Hercules's only first-class century. Perhaps "Prince EWS" would care to tell us more?
Was he not found destitute shortly after at Randwick?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
He certainly descended into hard times, though they didn't quite so quickly as you say there Sir Nev, to my knowledge. To say he scored that one Test century and did little else is somewhat unfair. For several years Bannerman was widely recognised as the best batsman in Australia, and at least one English scribe even called him the second best in the world after WG. While it's true that his legendary Test ton was his only one in FC cricket as well, he hit several more centuries on tour for Australia I believe in matches which, while not acknowledged as FC at the time, possibly would be today - he made a century against Leicestershire in a tour match for example, IIRC.

It's true though that within a year or two of that 165 his decline began, and it was written that "Bannerman's light went out at the end of 1878." He ceased being a great batsman and became merely a reasonable one - indeed, Phillip Derriman wrote (and I'm trying to remember the quote off the top of my head so forgive me if it's out a little) that "Bannerman descended not into obscurity but, which is perhaps worse, into mediocrity. For the second half of his career he was something of a hack, scoring well enough to maintain his place in the New South Wales side, but never well enough to be selected for anything more."

He came upon difficult times later in his career, though it seems that this was more a case of hard living and burning the candle at both ends, as it were, rather than any particular misfortune. His friend, the great Australian bush poet A.B. "Banjo" Patterson, famously referred to him in prose as "Poor old Charlie Bannerman." Surprisingly enough, and to his credit, he didn't let it defeat him and managed to forge a second career as an umpire and eventually living well into his 70s, I believe.

neville cardus

International Debutant
He certainly descended into hard times, though they didn't quite so quickly as you say there Sir Nev, to my knowledge. To say he scored that one Test century and did little else is somewhat unfair. For several years Bannerman was widely recognised as the best batsman in Australia, and at least one English scribe even called him the second best in the world after WG.
I think that he'd be quite alone there. With such men as Daft and E.M. about, that was a very big call.

While it's true that his legendary Test ton was his only one in FC cricket as well, he hit several more centuries on tour for Australia I believe in matches which, while not acknowledged as FC at the time, possibly would be today - he made a century against Leicestershire in a tour match for example, IIRC.
Of course a match against Leicestershire would be considered a first-class match today, but that's because Leicestershire provides first-class cricket today. The county wasn't up to much back in 1878.

It's true though that within a year or two of that 165 his decline began, and it was written that "Bannerman's light went out at the end of 1878."
One of the high points of his cricketing career. Arriving back from that tour, he and his fellow civil servants Gregory and Garrett were fully reimbursed with back-pay for bringing "prestige and future benefit to the [New South Wales] colony".

He ceased being a great batsman and became merely a reasonable one - indeed, Phillip Derriman wrote (and I'm trying to remember the quote off the top of my head so forgive me if it's out a little) that "Bannerman descended not into obscurity but, which is perhaps worse, into mediocrity. For the second half of his career he was something of a hack, scoring well enough to maintain his place in the New South Wales side, but never well enough to be selected for anything more."
Did he not, like Peate and Peel, fall into alcoholism?

He came upon difficult times later in his career, though it seems that this was more a case of hard living and burning the candle at both ends, as it were, rather than any particular misfortune. His friend, the great Australian bush poet A.B. "Banjo" Patterson, famously referred to him in prose as "Poor old Charlie Bannerman."
I remember that. It was "Just think of it! At one time the idol of thousands, making money for cricket but none for himself, and winding up holding a bag for a bookmaker."

Surprisingly enough, and to his credit, he didn't let it defeat him
It almost defeated his widow, though, whom he left in poverty (just as Peate left his widow in poverty), but the New South Wales Cricket Association helped her out (just as Yorkshire helped Peate's widow out) with fifty quid. This in spite of a benefit match in 1922 bringing the Bannerman household almost 500 pounds.

and managed to forge a second career as an umpire
And, as Bosie would be quick to tell you, a rather controversial one, too -- although he was voted second only to Briscoe in his state prior the turn of the century.

He also achieved success as a coach, first in Christchurch and then for the N.S.W.C.A..

and eventually living well into his 70s, I believe.
Bannerman famously met Don Bradman during a Queensland-N.S.W. encounter in 1929. The photograph below was taken to mark the occasion. Ain't it lovely?

Attachments

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that he'd be quite alone there. With such men as Daft and E.M. about, that was a very big call.
Indeed it was, it would have been interesting to see the reaction his claim provoked.

Of course a match against Leicestershire would be considered a first-class match today, but that's because Leicestershire provides first-class cricket today. The county wasn't up to much back in 1878.
My point, Sir Nev, was merely that he scored runs against the opposition of the time on tour for Australia, even if the scope of what constituted FC cricket back then meant they matches were not acknowledged as such. :)

Did he not, like Peate and Peel, fall into alcoholism?
He did indeed - hence my following point about him falling on hard times, having "burnt the candle at both ends."

I remember that. It was "Just think of it! At one time the idol of thousands, making money for cricket but none for himself, and winding up holding a bag for a bookmaker."
That's the one!

It almost defeated his widow, though, whom he left in poverty (just as Peate left his widow in poverty), but the New South Wales Cricket Association helped her out (just as Yorkshire helped Peate's widow out) with fifty quid. This in spite of a benefit match in 1922 bringing the Bannerman household almost 500 pounds.
Well, I didn't say anything about HER, did I Sir Nev? :p

And, as Bosie would be quick to tell you, a rather controversial one, too -- although he was voted second only to Briscoe in his state prior the turn of the century.

He also achieved success as a coach, first in Christchurch and then for the N.S.W.C.A..
I was aware of his experiences as an umpire, but not as a coach - thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Bannerman famously met Don Bradman during a Queensland-N.S.W. encounter in 1929. The photograph below was taken to mark the occasion. Ain't it lovely?
A wonderful photo, that one.

neville cardus

International Debutant
My point, Sir Nev, was merely that he scored runs against the opposition of the time on tour for Australia, even if the scope of what constituted FC cricket back then meant they matches were not acknowledged as such. :)
Do you feel that they ought to have been acknowledged as such?

He did indeed - hence my following point about him falling on hard times, having "burnt the candle at both ends."
[grumble]Ruddy metaphors.[/grumble]

Well, I didn't say anything about HER, did I Sir Nev? :p
What's a man without his digressions?

I was aware of his experiences as an umpire, but not as a coach - thank you for bringing them to my attention.
Herby Collins was his protégé.