• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final at The Oval – June 7–11, 2023

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Biggest chokers in world cricket?

South Africa
New Zealand
Pakistan

Australia
I'm honestly not sure New Zealand or Pakistan are/were really chokers (well, other than Pakistan v India lol). Pakistan are just inconsistent whereas New Zealand just aren't that good.

ODI's South Africa are still kings until proven otherwise but I think post-Sandpapergate Australia does genuinely have a good case of the biggest Test chokers.

And yeah India have had their fair share of chokes. Basically become mental beasts against Pakistan or Australia though.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder whether the desire to be good cultural citizens has hurt our edge. Without resorting to more....aggressive tactics there's no real Plan B for when things aren't quite right.

It makes it very frustrating to be a fan because there's bugger all tough wins but a LOT of tough losses. It's either a blowout win or a chokey loss/draw which sucks.
I think there's a lack of tactical nous and game reading more than anything. Paine made it really obvious he had no idea what was going on, but things aren't much better now, and the coaching setup isn't helping (one of our period where we were getting the most out of the bowling is when McDermott was actually on the edge of the field giving advice).

That said I don't think the attitudes are helping. And I say that as someone who geneuely hates the boofhead culture Australian cricket is known for. This'll be feeding in the PakPassion theory that we deliberately play nice against India lol. There is certainly some mental block against them.

morgieb

I think there's a lack of tactical nous and game reading more than anything. Paine made it really obvious he had no idea what was going on, but things aren't much better now, and the coaching setup isn't helping (one of our period where we were getting the most out of the bowling is when McDermott was actually on the edge of the field giving advice).

That said I don't think the attitudes are helping. And I say that as someone who geneuely hates the boofhead culture Australian cricket is known for. This'll be feeding in the Pa kPassion theory that we deliberately play nice against India lol.
Yeah true. I get why Cummins is captain but there's at least 3 sharper tactical minds in the team. He needs a good coach to get the best out of him. Langer would've been a better fit but his cards were marked after the 2020/21 series. Wish Gillespie or Ponting were keen.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I wonder whether the desire to be good cultural citizens has hurt our edge. Without resorting to more....aggressive tactics there's no real Plan B for when things aren't quite right.
I don't think it's the lack of aggressive tactics that's the problem; if anything, I'd say that from a cricket standpoint, they are aggressive. It's that if these tactics don't work and batsmen get some time out there, we aren't able to pressure them by cutting off runs.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There’s just a lack of resilience when things start going wrong

our slip cordon is seriously poor though. Green doesn’t drop many but khawaja and Warner are generally hopeless and Smith is very 50/50

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah true. I get why Cummins is captain but there's at least 3 sharper tactical minds in the team. He needs a good coach to get the best out of him. Langer would've been a better fit but his cards were marked after the 2020/21 series. Wish Gillespie or Ponting were keen.
What about Voges? He seems to have done really well with WA and the Scorchers.

trundler

Aus attack looking 1 dimensional. Starc leaking runs, Cummins bowled well in patches , boland was the best , Lyon hasn't bowled much.
Can you really blame the attack for being one dimensional when the worst bowler by far has been the left arm express Starc? Those no balls would still have been no balls if Cummins was a left arm Sydney Barnes. They've just made errors.