• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner had at least made first class tons when debuted.

If you'd seen him missing gigantic hacks at A Joseph at Manuka (though he was bowling pretty quick) you'd have seen his shot selection is not close to ready. At this stage he's in the Suryakumar mould of being best at T20s and not so good at the other formats.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Warner has at least made first class tons when debuted.

If you'd see him missing gigantic hacks at A Joseph at Manuka (though he was bowling pretty quick) you'd have seen his shot selection is not close to ready. At this stage he's in the Suryakumar mould of being best at T20s and not so good at the other formats.
Or the massive wipe first ball off Paddy Dooley in the Big Bash this year.

I don't remember, even on his T20I debut, Warner being a slogger. He seemed to hit from a really good base into good areas. The Wackedy Doo Kid does at times but also plays some horrible wipes. He's slightly more refined than Finn Allen, but not by much. Maybe he will make it, but he's not close yet

Starfighter

Or the massive wipe first ball off Paddy Dooley in the Big Bash this year.

I don't remember, even on his T20I debut, Warner being a slogger. He seemed to hit from a really good base into good areas. The Wackedy Doo Kid does at times but also plays some horrible wipes. He's slightly more refined than Finn Allen, but not by much. Maybe he will make it, but he's not close yet
Warner was very loose when he started out and had a poor defence, though he did tighten things up a bit in a couple of years. But he played far more 'proper' shots and hit the ball in logical ways rather than trying to deposit everything between midwicket and square leg. He also could hit his cover drive along the ground. McGurk is well off being at his level - the Finn Allen comparison is pretty apt, and look at Allen's FC record.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Warner was very loose when he started out and had a poor defence, though he did tighten things up a bit in a couple of years. But he played far more 'proper' shots and hit the ball in logical ways rather than trying to deposit everything between midwicket and square leg. He also could hit his cover drive along the ground. McGurk is well off being at his level - the Finn Allen comparison is pretty apt, and look at Allen's FC record.
Yep that's my point with Warner - he played more proper shots from a good base. Yes, from memory he was fidgety outside off stump but he knew his strengths and punished poor bowling when it got into that.

I've seen more of Allen and he's great when you bowl poorly at him, but will swing off his arse and get out if you target the stumps and tie him down. Also struggles against good spin. I imagine JFM is the same.

It's going to be a really interesting generation to watch develop. Because they're not much interested in leaving balls, they might not have the technical base that earlier generations have, they may not be as adept as turning over strike, adapting to being tied down etc. Yeah they can - to coin a PEWS term - bosh it and there's going to be some highlights (ie JFMs flick for six in his maiden ODI) but some horrendous stuff too.

Starfighter

Actually I just realised McJerk does have an FC century, but he's averaging 22 - less than half of what Warner did after the same number of matches.

Yep that's my point with Warner - he played more proper shots from a good base. Yes, from memory he was fidgety outside off stump but he knew his strengths and punished poor bowling when it got into that.

I've seen more of Allen and he's great when you bowl poorly at him, but will swing off his arse and get out if you target the stumps and tie him down. Also struggles against good spin. I imagine JFM is the same.

It's going to be a really interesting generation to watch develop. Because they're not much interested in leaving balls, they might not have the technical base that earlier generations have, they may not be as adept as turning over strike, adapting to being tied down etc. Yeah they can - to coin a PEWS term - bosh it and there's going to be some highlights (ie JFMs flick for six in his maiden ODI) but some horrendous stuff too.
I've only seen Allen in highlights but from what I have seen they have very similar methods.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually I just realised McJerk does have an FC century, but he's averaging 22 - less than half of what Warner did after the same number of matches.

I've only seen Allen in highlights but from what I have seen they have very similar methods.
I'm not reading tha article but I assume Ricky isn't advocating for selecting JFM right now, with a FC average of 22 right? Probably just saying he looks like he could get there

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not reading tha article but I assume Ricky isn't advocating for selecting JFM right now, with a FC average of 22 right? Probably just saying he looks like he could get there
No he isn't, he's saying he can get there. Which isn't outrageous, no doubt. Time will tell whether these short-form wackers like JFM, Finn Allen can, or even want to transform their games to be successful in all three formats. There's not an exhaustive list of people who have made it work in all forms

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Mitch Marsh the latest Aussie to test positive for covid.
Makes me wonder if all these covid cases would have happened if they just banned Head from the 2nd Test (and would have saved him a king pair)

Should be like any job, if positive for covid isolate at home until you're negative. Stop trying to be a hero by 'soldiering on'

Last edited:

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Heard a rumour that the Windies T20 side is back to full strength and apparently their last two T20 series they beat England and India 3-2

Meanwhile Australia are resting Starc, Cummins, Smith and Head and have a captain with Covid, so this should be much closer than the ODI series

Predicting Australia to lose the first game and then we'll have an exciting series

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Makes ne wonder if all these covid cases would have happened if they just banned Head from the 2nd Test (and would have saved him a king pair)

Should be like any job, if positive for covid isolate at home until you're negative. Stop trying to be a hero by 'soldering on'
Who doesn’t love a bit of soldering tbh

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Makes me wonder if all these covid cases would have happened if they just banned Head from the 2nd Test (and would have saved him a king pair)

Should be like any job, if positive for covid isolate at home until you're negative. Stop trying to be a hero by 'soldiering on'
Beat South Africa away from home as well. Last 3 series = 2-1 away against SA, 3-2 at home against India and 3-2 at home against England. Our T20 unit is coming together nicely. Bowling still needs work but our batting has been 🔥.

Still Australia tours have a way of bringing out the worst in our teams and these conditions will be completely alien from what we will face at the World Cup at home, so I'm not too bothered.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Beat South Africa away from home as well. Last 3 series = 2-1 away against SA, 3-2 at home against India and 3-2 at home against England. Our T20 unit is coming together nicely. Bowling still needs work but our batting has been 🔥.

Still Australia tours have a way of bringing out the worst in our teams and these conditions will be completely alien from what we will face at the World Cup at home, so I'm not too bothered.
If you add Shamar Joseph to the bowling
you can challenge for WC

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Wait, why is Kyle Mayers not in the XI. Surely he didn't fly all the way out here to sit on the bench?