• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in Zimbabwe Thread

V Reddy

International Debutant
I only saw the first 10 overs of Zim batting and Rampaul had figures of 5-2-11-0 and after the game he has 10-2-47-0 . He looked pretty impressive bowling in the 140's. But as Liam said , 1- 2 seasons of 1st class cricket compulsory.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
vishnureddy said:
I only saw the first 10 overs of Zim batting and Rampaul had figures of 5-2-11-0 and after the game he has 10-2-47-0 . He looked pretty impressive bowling in the 140's. But as Liam said , 1- 2 seasons of 1st class cricket compulsory.
It would seem like Rampaul isn't yet ready for international cricket, but I don't agree that 1-2 seasons of 1st class cricket are "compulsory".

Fidel Edwards, for example, was picked pretty much on a hunch (and an impressive net session) by Lara having played very little FC cricket and has been successful right from the off.

I think sometimes it's worth taking a chance with talented youngsters and, even if his figures haven't been great, I would hope the whole touring experience has had a positive effect on Ravi.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Zimbabwe are doing very well at the moment. Sure they've mixed the good with the bad, but lets not forget that their 2 best batsmen the Flower brothers are missing and they definately haven't disgraced themselves so far against Australia & the West Indies.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
garage flower said:
It would seem like Rampaul isn't yet ready for international cricket, but I don't agree that 1-2 seasons of 1st class cricket are "compulsory".

Fidel Edwards, for example, was picked pretty much on a hunch (and an impressive net session) by Lara having played very little FC cricket and has been successful right from the off.

I think sometimes it's worth taking a chance with talented youngsters and, even if his figures haven't been great, I would hope the whole touring experience has had a positive effect on Ravi.
But what has Rampaul done to upstage a Daren Powell or an Ian Bradshaw or even a Pedro Collins? Most of his success has been at youth level.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
But the sad thing is, they have collapsed when batting and havent finshed them off.
As a commentator once said, they don't know how to win. Indeed, I have no doubt that if Vermeulen was out cheaply they would have lost yesterday as well. That has always the case with Zimbabwe, they know how to get into winning positions but they don't know how to win. Still a very talented bunch of players and as I said before, the future of Zimbabwean cricket is bright if they can just get the selection right.

Chubb

International Regular
Well, that last ODI was pretty good for Zimbabwe and especially for Ray Price and Mark Vermeulen. World class players both. Sibanda is young and does have talent. Mahwire could get good, you never know. If Zimbabwe have an attack of Blignaut, Streak Ervine and Price, who can all bat well, then Mahwire could bat at 11. If they had a team of;
Sibanda or Masakadza (when he returns from University)
Gripper
Vermeulen
Wishart
Flower or Carlisle (Prob. Flower- similar age, Flower is the better batsman)
Matsikenyeri
Taibu
Streak
Blignaut
Ervine
Price

Then they could win some tests. Vermeulen can open the innings so you could (If they have to) play Mahwire at 11. Gavin Ewing could come in for him and bat at 7 if the pitch was a turner. They have the basis of a competitive team. If Mugabe is gotten rid of, and certain Exiles return (Which hopefully will happen soon) then they would be world-class.

Last edited:

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But what has Rampaul done to upstage a Daren Powell or an Ian Bradshaw or even a Pedro Collins? Most of his success has been at youth level.
I wasn't necessarily suggesting Rampaul should have toured ahead of any of the other candidates you mention, just that he shouldn't be excluded from consideration due to his lack of first class experience.

Collins, you would have to admit, hasn't looked good enough at test level, though apparently he bowled well at home to NZ last year.

Powell hasn't set the world alight in the limited opportunites he's been given.

I'm amazed that Bradshaw - though I'm going purely on stats/reports here - isn't part of the ODI set-up.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Chubb said:
Well, that last ODI was pretty good for Zimbabwe and especially for Ray Price and Mark Vermeulen. World class players both. Sibanda is young and does have talent. Mahwire could get good, you never know. If Zimbabwe have an attack of Blignaut, Streak Ervine and Price, who can all bat well, then Mahwire could bat at 11. If they had a team of;
Sibanda or Masakadza (when he returns from University)
Gripper
Vermeulen
Wishart
Flower or Carlisle (Prob. Flower- similar age, Flower is the better batsman)
Matsikenyeri
Taibu
Streak
Blignaut
Ervine
Price

Then they could win some tests. Vermeulen can open the innings so you could (If they have to) play Mahwire at 11. Gavin Ewing could come in for him and bat at 7 if the pitch was a turner. They have the basis of a competitive team. If Mugabe is gotten rid of, and certain Exiles return (Which hopefully will happen soon) then they would be world-class.
I wouldn't call Vermeulen world class yet. Price neither. They are certainly getting there though.

I doubt that Ervine will bat that low in the Test or ODI side. IMO he's a better bat than bowler. Wishart has to step up and come through with his obvious talent.

I also doubt that the 'exiles' (self-imposed and rightly so) will return regardless of the Mugabe situation.

Mbangwa should play ahead of Mahwire. Or even Gary Brent.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
I wasn't necessarily suggesting Rampaul should have toured ahead of any of the other candidates you mention, just that he shouldn't be excluded from consideration due to his lack of first class experience.

Collins, you would have to admit, hasn't looked good enough at test level, though apparently he bowled well at home to NZ last year.

Powell hasn't set the world alight in the limited opportunites he's been given.

I'm amazed that Bradshaw - though I'm going purely on stats/reports here - isn't part of the ODI set-up.
1/ I understand what you were saying.

2/ He's a useful bowler at best, but he bowled superbly v New Zealand that series.

3/ But 12 Test wickets at 29.5 surely isn't that bad and he bowled well to get those 12 wickets. He has genuine pace, though not quite Jermaine Lawson pace. He's also quite accurate and that is reflected in his 3.73 econ. in 2 ODI's to date.

4/ Ian Bradshaw has been a constant for Barbados year in year out yet the selectors never seem to notice. He's the type of cricketer who quietly gains success and you tend to forget he's around.

29 years old - not too old. 6 seasons of domestic cricket.

93 FC wickets @ 25.67 with a SR of 50.1
38 OD wickets @ 19.86 with a SR of 34.7 and economy of 3.43
694 FC runs @ 20.41 with 1 hundred and 2 fifties.
283 OD runs @ 35.37 with 1 fifty.

He's a left-arm seamer so he offers some variety too. Very much hard-done by the selectors.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Kerry Jeremy is a medium fast bowler who is pretty accurate and moves the ball. He got a look in for an ODI or two from memory, but hasn't been very popular Test-wise.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
4/ Ian Bradshaw has been a constant for Barbados year in year out yet the selectors never seem to notice. He's the type of cricketer who quietly gains success and you tend to forget he's around.
Insert Bicknell for England's version.

Chubb

International Regular
Yeah, I think Mbangwa should play ahead of Mahwire, I just think they won't select him. And if Mugabe dies or is removed then it is likely that Zimbabwe's economy situation will improve. Thus, it would become a more attractive place to live- and the whole situation would be safer. Some may return. Certainly, if they still love cricket then thier chances of playing internationals would be improved drastically.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah I see good things for Zimbabwe cricket once Mugabe goes, however its sort of a case of "when" rather than "if" and it could be a very long time yet, so dont hold your breath...

And I dont imagine any of the "exiles" will want to return, It may be a safe place, but if theyve set up their lives succesfuly elsewhere, why bother?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Vermeulen is deffinatly a talented player I can see him being one of Zimbabwe's better batsman ever behind the likes of Houghton, Flower etc..

He needs alot of work but you can see he has alot of talent. His techneque still lack quite a lot but he is still doing quite well despie it. His backfoot forcing shots imparticular are quite impressive and he hit's them VERY hard! somtimes and find's the fence reguarly with just slight punching shots.

I few solid years working on improving his techneque and he could be the next big thing in Zimbabwe cricket.

Of couse with Zimbabwe there are no garanties on anything regarding a players future so all we can do is hope.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rush of blood to Samuels' head.. hooks Blignaut straight to Ervine at Deep Square Leg

Next ball, Powell has his off stump uprooted by a yorker.

63 runs, 11.2 overs, 4 wickets, 5.56 rpo