• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Zimbabwe and South Africa

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, Mørkel's with the squad but still isn't fit. South Africa are looking at the third test for him, if not then the one day series should see his comeback.
Have the SA selectors pretty much given obvious hints to who they want in and out? Morkel in for Nel I assume, but honestly, Nel hasn't been in much form of late and you have a cricket legned in your squad. It baffles me. And it would baffle me even more so if anyone gave me a reason why Nel should be ahead of Pollock. Add to that, that Morkel doesn't really have that great a FC record. If Australia can shaft Bevan, SA can do the same to Pollock.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent day’s cricket by the West Indies thus far, Graeme Smith attacked with the new ball, conversely his bowlers bowled trite or in the case of Steyn tried too hard, Chris Gayle counter attacked brilliantly and ever since then South Africa have been playing catch up. They have done reasonably well to bring back the run rate but the West Indies are set for a very imposing total and the wicket has flatten out nicely after the first hour or so, really easy paced and there is hardly anything of the seam. And now Samuels is switching gears, taking Harris to the cleaners.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Have the SA selectors pretty much given obvious hints to who they want in and out? Mørkel in for Nel I assume, but honestly, Nel hasn't been in much form of late and you have a cricket legned in your squad.
Yeah it would be Morne for Nel.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Samuels is such a fantastic cricketer to watch. Hope he makes a century and a big one at that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle simply incredible in that innings there. Was there any dropped chances for those who watched the game?
No. A catch dropped short to AB and he cut or flayed over the slips once or twice but nothing clear cut. Top innings, although, Gayle should have gone on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really ugly dismissal after Samuels had worked so hard. No foot movement and just throws his bat at a wide-ish one.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really ugly dismissal after Samuels had worked so hard. No foot movement and just throws his bat at a wide-ish one.
Typical really.

That said, lots of positives from Samuels in this innings. The patience, for the most part, that Clive Lloyd has called for. A pity it ended in such a predictable manner, albeit after 94 runs.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
'Twas one of those things I typed and meant to check before posting.

I hate to admit it, but I believe I've momentarily confused him with...Dave Bernard jr.

EDIT: And now that I've checked, Bernard has 3 first-class hundred, which is shocking to me.
Bernard's a pretty decent batsman. Was playing well when he got his WI cap IIRC. Gone off teh boil recently though and surprised to see him in the Jamaica Carib Beer squad but guess he impressed in the trials.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bernard's a pretty decent batsman. Was playing well when he got his WI cap IIRC. Gone off teh boil recently though and surprised to see him in the Jamaica Carib Beer squad but guess he impressed in the trials.
But Bernard is yet to be anywhere near international class. He looked clueless against international standard bowlers in his brief outings at the top level. He's improved somewhat, but still a long way off. Certainly good enough to play at domestic level.

roseboy64

Typical really.

That said, lots of positives from Samuels in this innings. The patience, for the most part, that Clive Lloyd has called for. A pity it ended in such a predictable manner, albeit after 94 runs.
Too true.Worked hard then threw it away. Good catch by Kallis though.

roseboy64

But Bernard is yet to be anywhere near international class. He looked clueless against international standard bowlers in his brief outings at the top level. He's improved somewhat, but still a long way off. Certainly good enough to play at domestic level.
Agreed there. Definitely not good enough for Tests yet. Can't blame the selectors for selecting him when they did though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Agreed there. Definitely not good enough for Tests yet. Can't blame the selectors for selecting him when they did though.
Actually, I do think it was a mistake to select him back then. A sizable one too. He had a very good season for Jamaica that year, but you'd think that the selectors didn't actually watch the man bat, because technically he seemed so under-prepared for international cricket. It's one thing to pick those who are performing at domestic level, but you also have to physically watch them to see the level of performance. Especially when the opposition is Australia.

Mr Mxyzptlk

And how many West Indian batsmen, selected recently in the same manner, have gone on to be successful?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Since Bernard's selection, the batsmen/allrounders capped:

Dwayne Smith - picked on the basis of one innings - 90odd.
Dwayne Bravo - picked as a bowling allrounder, but had one very good season with the bat. In the same boat as Bernard.
Sylvester Joseph - a relatively solid domestic career behind him, but initially picked largely (IMO) on the basis of his hundred and fifty in a tour game against Zimbabwe in 2000. He went on to play ODIs and had built some useful FC form by the time he was picked for Tests.
Narsingh Deonarine - picked in the contract crisis.
Donavan Pagon - see Deonarine.
Xavier Marshall - picked on the basis of U19 accomplishments. And where is he now?
Runako Morton - Had an outstanding domestic career by modern West Indian standards.
Denesh Ramdin - the clear long-term successor to Ridley Jacobs.
Ryan Ramdass - see Deonarine/Pagon.
Darren Sammy - a solid domestic career behind him. And picked as a bowling allrounder anyway.

My point being that the selectors pick a lot of players on nothing much. That doesn't make them blameless for doing so, purely due to the precedent they have set.

roseboy64

And how many West Indian batsmen, selected recently in the same manner, have gone on to be successful?
Since Bernard's selection, the batsmen/allrounders capped:

Dwayne Smith - picked on the basis of one innings - 90odd.
Dwayne Bravo - picked as a bowling allrounder, but had one very good season with the bat. In the same boat as Bernard.
Sylvester Joseph - a relatively solid domestic career behind him, but initially picked largely (IMO) on the basis of his hundred and fifty in a tour game against Zimbabwe in 2000. He went on to play ODIs and had built some useful FC form by the time he was picked for Tests.
Narsingh Deonarine - picked in the contract crisis.
Donavan Pagon - see Deonarine.
Xavier Marshall - picked on the basis of U19 accomplishments. And where is he now?
Runako Morton - Had an outstanding domestic career by modern West Indian standards.
Denesh Ramdin - the clear long-term successor to Ridley Jacobs.
Ryan Ramdass - see Deonarine/Pagon.
Darren Sammy - a solid domestic career behind him. And picked as a bowling allrounder anyway.

My point being that the selectors pick a lot of players on nothing much. That doesn't make them blameless for doing so, purely due to the precedent they have set.
Yeah just saying he's not an isolated case. Hence, new selection policy/selectors. I can see why they do it though. Team performing poorly and trying to find a diamond in the rough. Does more harm than good though as very few of the players actually get close to Test standard. TBH, agreeing with you but considering the policy in the last few years, he performed well enough to get the call and is a decent bat at FC level.

Beleg

International Regular
I didn't watch Morton's dismissal but Ganga and Sameuls essentially threw away their wickets to deliveries which deserved, at best, a casual leave and disdainful look at bowler for serving up such tripe.

Gayle's dismissal left a bad taste in my mouth. He had just smacked Harris for four, the ball was pushed through quicker and he should have shown better judgement. Though I guess this is typical of Gayle - instead of becoming the premier opener of his generation, his career has been relegated to mid-table mediocrity.

Watching the West Indians bat, apart from Chanderpaul, you always get the feeling that they are at the verge of throwing their wicket away. The staying power which Clive Lloyd and so many others have emphasized is definitely lacking. They are such talented batsmen - it's evident in their strokeplay and defense - but the mental toughness and the belief in one's own abilities needed to carve out a long innings seems to be absent.

Chanderpaul is definitely the most underrated batsman in world cricket at the moment.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
*Angry rant for today*

As much as Gayles half century set the Windies up nicely today, lost me an avatar challenge and basically took the huff clean out of the S.A pace attack his innings still only lasted 49 deliveries and even then then he got out after the other openers, C'mon where are the marathon innings that make good openers into great ones. In short HE AND LOADS OTHER W.INDIES NEEDS TO STOP HANDING HIS WICKET OUT JUST WHEN YOU THINK THEY ARE GONNA GO AND SCORE BIG!!!!
:ranting:

*rant over*