• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in South Africa Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Do you think they just took him, barring injuries, with no intention of really playing him just yet, but to gain experience as Lara and the WI will more then likely look towards him in the next couple of years.

If Edwards does well, then Mr Lara is a genius and unearthed a diamond.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Lara is a genius regardless. :D So says Mr Mxyzptlk.

I think that Rampaul was taken to gain experience, but I think he would be stealing a more deserving spot from another seamer if he goes to South Africa. Daren Powell deserves a chance more than he does, as does Bradshaw. Zimbabwe was the place for Rampaul to gain experience, not South Africa.

They will still take him though.

Craig

World Traveller
Naturally.

This as been bugging me for a while, as I have two questions to ask you:

1/ According to Charles' (lara) player profile, it said he played for Northern Transvaal, what year did he play for them? and;

2/ This is more WI domestic related. For example if I were from Guyana and moved to Barbados, would I be elidgble to play for Barbados straight away if they deemed me good enough or would I have to be come a citizen of Barbados?

Mr Mxyzptlk

1/ 1992/93 season I believe.

2/ I'm not too certain. I don't think that there are any strict rules about it although you may have to have some grounding in the country (ie married in or by blood relation).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well folks, it has begun and in non too uncertain terms for the West Indies.

D Ganga
S Chanderpaul
RR Sarwan
CS Baugh
*BC Lara
WW Hinds
CH Gayle
OAC Banks
R Rampaul
FH Edwards
CD Collymore

versus

*L Klusener, +MN van Wyk, GH Bodi, JA Morkel, GJP Kruger, VB van Jaarsveld, B Hector, Z de Bruyn, PV Mpitsang, AG Prince, CM Willoughby.

in a 45-over game.

The West Indies are currently 102/1 after 28 overs, with Chanderpaul (53 from 72 balls) out.

Ganga is on 42 (79) and Sarwan on 7 (17). Not the quickest scoring, but looking at the batsmen to come, one shouldn't be worried. Looks a strong Nick Oppenheimer's lineup though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Word is that Daren Powell, Tino Best and Pedro Collins are in the running to replace Jerome Taylor. Hopefully it's either Powell or Best, because they possess the genuine pace which would be more successful than what Collins brings to the table IMO. Still holding out hope for Bradshaw for the ODI's.

Craig

World Traveller
Has Best fixed up his run up and his delievery stride? I think he has some potential there, but he wont get there unless he fixes it up.

Otherwise I dont know what he has done to get there with that poor action (that's if he hasnt fixed it up) because he is often erractic. And fixing it up IMO could improve his accuracy.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Has Best fixed up his run up and his delievery stride? I think he has some potential there, but he wont get there unless he fixes it up.

Otherwise I dont know what he has done to get there with that poor action (that's if he hasnt fixed it up) because he is often erractic. And fixing it up IMO could improve his accuracy.
I wouldn't write up Best as 'often erratic' on the basis of one Test... against Australia no less. The worry for me is that he hasn't played any FC cricket since, but I'm not sure how active he's been at club level.

Craig

World Traveller
No I was basing it on his whole FC career with Barbados, West Indies and if he has played for West Indies 'B' or 'A'.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well he's not played a whole lot of FC cricket and I think he may have gone on the A Team tour to England (?). Not sure. However, the reviews from some of the West Indian officials and past players is that he has genuine talent.

Mr Mxyzptlk

WI XI 168/3 (39 overs)
D Ganga 70
S Chanderpaul 53
RR Sarwan 23
*BC Lara 7 not out
CS Baugh 2 not out

6 overs to go...

Mr Mxyzptlk

WI XI 241/4 (45 overs)
D Ganga 70
S Chanderpaul 53
RR Sarwan 23
CS Baugh 23
*BC Lara 53 not out (28 balls, 4x4, 3x6)
OAC Banks 4 not out

71 runs in the last 6 overs. Not too bad.

Langeveldt

Soutie
VB van Jaarsveld not out 49 43 36 0 4

Watch out for this guy! Saw him if my mind serves me correctly in an Under 15 world cup, and he looked very very talented then...

Craig

World Traveller
I was surprised Lance Klusener was captain. He doesnt to me strike me as a captaincy type fellow.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
I was surprised Lance Klusener was captain. He doesnt to me strike me as a captaincy type fellow.
In addition to the fact that he hasn't a prayer of playing for South Africa again, unless Mr. Smith is cast out.

QuinJ

Cricket Spectator
Web coverage

Hey guys,

I am a South African now based in the US of A. Do any of you know whether there are any websites that are showing streaming video of the cricket? I got to watch the world cup rugby games, but I have the wrong satellite provider for the cricket...:-((

Best,

Q.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Web coverage

QuinJ said:
Hey guys,

I am a South African now based in the US of A. Do any of you know whether there are any websites that are showing streaming video of the cricket? I got to watch the world cup rugby games, but I have the wrong satellite provider for the cricket...:-((

Best,

Q.
Welcome to the forums, QuinJ.

I'm presuming that you mean for the South Africa v West Indies series (silly me. Why else would you post it here?)

Cricinfo don't appear to be carrying it - they are preoccupied with Australia v India at the moment.

I've done a few internet searches over the last few minutes but can't say I've found anything hopeful at all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well Lara's not hanging around. Smashing boundaries at the moment. Sarwan seems in good shape too...

WI 98/2 (28 overs)
CH Gayle LBW 9 (10)
D Ganga C 19 (62)
RR Sarwan NO 37 (72)
BC Lara NO 24 (30)

vs Free State