• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in Pakistan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Sachin's recent form is promising, but he's never really dropped off significantly in ODI cricket, even with his injuries. Test cricket is a different story.

Hopefully he does well against SA :)

shortpitched713

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a newer seamer in place of Razzaq tbh. He's not exactly a "must have" in tests.
Maybe a Yasir Arafat. He wasn't too impressive in the Champs Trophy, but in my opinion, he'd be worth a go. Although I have a feeling that the Pakistan selectors would much rather stick with the devil they know than try something new, especially at this point when the bowling attack has been so unstable.

Dravid

International Captain
His bowling performance was pretty good in the match. I remember seeing him in the first couple of overs, where he struggled but he improved through out the match. Can prove to be a dangerous bowler over the years

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dravid said:
Hopefully thats a joke. I'm not taking anything away from the WI batting line up, but it's not better than India. Sachin>Lara, Dravid>Chanderpaul, Sarwan>Yuvraj, Sehwag>(in tests) Gayle.
No WI is not better then India but overall a good batting lineup. Sachin>Lara is not so clear-cut either!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
And bringing up their averages, that means Ponting and Dravid are better than Sachin and Lara. 8-)
To be honest, in the case of Dravid, it could turn out to be true - is there anyone else around who is so consistent across all opposition and countries?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dravid said:
If you want to look in deeper than stats, than look at him against England, and look at him recently in ODI Cricket.
ODIs have no relevance to Tests, and I don't see how 83 runs @ 20.75 helps your cause?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
magsi23 said:
Its not as if India dominated the series? it was a narrow win for the Indians just 1 Test and 1 one ODI, everyone expected India to do much better than they did
Yes we did dominate the whole test series WITHOUT one of our best batsman... The first game WI were saved by one wicket, the second game WI were saved by rain or else we were on the verge of blowing them away! The third game was tilted in favour of WI for the first 3 days, but the fourth test, we finally proved how superior our batting was compared to WI.

Think before you make posts, in that post you're just TRYING to prove that India were not dominant in that series. But that wasn't my point, my point was how India's batting is better than that of WI's.

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
Dravid said:
Sachin avgs 55 in tests. Lara 52.

Sachins conversion rate of 50 to 100 > than Laras

Figure out which was the more dominant batting side in the test series.(India weren't playing their best batsman, while West Indies was.)

Lara has a 100,200,300,400,500
Most runs in an over
Leading Run scorer in test history
Voted By wisden as playing more matchwinning inns.
Only record Sachin Has is Most Centries
Sachins average is better but he has a high proportion of not outs, and even with that the difference is only 3 runs in the average

Why does every thread have to have this argument???
They are both fantastic players who i rate as equals with personal preference going to Lara.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid and Chanderpaul are world class. Quibbling over who is better among Lara and Tendulkar is pretty useless, unless you are in it for mere pedantry.

Both Gayle and Sarwan are better then Yuvraj IMO. Sehwag is better then those two but not in the L-T-D-C league. Overall, I suppose, India's and WI batting line-ups are pretty evenly matched, however, neither team has a clear edge. Ergo, my point still stands.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The point is, I'm not sure Tendulkar is a world class Test batsman any more, and the original question was about current batting line ups...

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
The point is, I'm not sure Tendulkar is a world class Test batsman any more, and the original question was about current batting line ups...
Form is temporary, class is permenant.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
magsi23 said:
Its not as if India dominated the series? it was a narrow win for the Indians just 1 Test and 1 one ODI, everyone expected India to do much better than they did
In the ODi's yes.

But I think the 1-0 scoreline in the tests flattered the WEst Indies a bit.
They would almost certainly lost the 2nd test had it not been for rain and only managed to stave off defeat in the first by the skin of their teeth.

And remember, they were going into the tests after scoring a thumpoing 4-1 win in the ODis so the momentum was with them --- India also had a very inexperienced seam attack, 3 out of 4 bowlers were making their first overseas tour, two were playing their 2nd series and one was playing his debut series.
Not too many people here were tipping an Indian test sries win ...not after the ODI result, in any case.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
West Indies' record over the last 35 away Test matches (excluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh):

Won 1
Drawn 4
Lost 30

You can't explain all that with "poor bowling".

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Beleg said:
Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid and Chanderpaul are world class. Quibbling over who is better among Lara and Tendulkar is pretty useless, unless you are in it for mere pedantry.

Both Gayle and Sarwan are better then Yuvraj IMO. Sehwag is better then those two but not in the L-T-D-C league. Overall, I suppose, India's and WI batting line-ups are pretty evenly matched, however, neither team has a clear edge. Ergo, my point still stands.
I'm not sure if Chanderpaul is in a different league to Sehwag as your are purporting.

Sehwag has test hundreds (and decent records to boot) in Australia, England, South Africa, Pakistan and the West Indies largely as a test openerr

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Turbinator said:
Form is temporary, class is permenant.
How long does form have to continue for it to still be termed temporary then?

The weight of playing so much cricket for so long has hit him unfortunately and there is no way you can call him a World Class Test player any more.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
West Indies' record over the last 35 away Test matches (excluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh):

Won 1
Drawn 4
Lost 30

You can't explain all that with "poor bowling".
Last relevant Test we won overseas was back in England in 2000. We were actually playing really good cricket then. Cork changed all that.