• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

pasag

RTDAS
Patto spot on with Siddle, every chance he'll make way for Hilf if Bollinger takes more wickets and he continues to be ineffective. He's been ordinary for a while now.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Patto spot on with Siddle, every chance he'll make way for Hilf if Bollinger takes more wickets and he continues to be ineffective. He's been ordinary for a while now.
Yeah, still a massive fan and believer in his potential to play 50 tests and be a key part of our future, but at the moment, he's probably bowling the worst out of the four main quicks, although Johnson wasn't great today either from the sounds of it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, just came in to suggest that and expected to be shouted down. Turns out most of you were already thinking it :p

I think Siddle's got a little bit of an easy ride on here, understandable since he's so likable and also such a good bowler. But I don't think he's currently one of Australia's three best fast bowlers (were Lee fit I'd actually put him fifth). Not only that, but while his aggression is valuable I think the attack is more balanced without him. Johnson's just as scary to face and a bit quicker, and with Hilfy and Bollinger swinging the ball both ways no opposition weakness will go untapped (and the ball that leaves the left-hander was something they seriously missed when bowling to Andrew Strauss this summer). Express pace and aggression, right-arm outswing and left-arm inswing are usually the three most effective types of fast bowling IMO so you're left with a remarkably complete attack.

Difficult decision to drop the Sid though. Thought he was pretty good today in his first spell, had no luck whatsoever.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, just came in to suggest that and expected to be shouted down. Turns out most of you were already thinking it :p

I think Siddle's got a little bit of an easy ride on here, understandable since he's so likable and also such a good bowler. But I don't think he's currently one of Australia's three best fast bowlers (were Lee fit I'd actually put him fifth). Not only that, but while his aggression is valuable I think the attack is more balanced without him. Johnson's just as scary to face and a bit quicker, and with Hilfy and Bollinger swinging the ball both ways no opposition weakness will go untapped (and the ball that leaves the left-hander was something they seriously missed when bowling to Andrew Strauss this summer). Express pace and aggression, right-arm outswing and left-arm inswing are usually the three most effective types of fast bowling IMO so you're left with a remarkably complete attack.

Difficult decision to drop the Sid though. Thought he was pretty good today in his first spell, had no luck whatsoever.
Only really missing someone to hit the deck hard. Still, I agree with you that Hilf/Bolly/Johners is our best attack at the moment.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm backing Siddle to wrap up the tail tomorrow and/or get a bag in the second innings.

I really like him as a cricketer and I know he's not getting the wickets, but would feel a bit annoyed if he was to get dropped from the Australian team.

Uppercut

Only really missing someone to hit the deck hard. Still, I agree with you that Hilf/Bolly/Johners is our best attack at the moment.
Yeah, that's true. There's also no one that can reverse it. Apart from Watto.

Nevertheless, I think the absence of any one of left-arm inswing, right-arm outswing or express pace is more glaring than the absence of a hit-the-deck bowler. Johnson gets plenty of bounce in any case.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, that's true. There's also no one that can reverse it. Apart from Watto.

Nevertheless, I think the absence of any one of left-arm inswing, right-arm outswing or express pace is more glaring than the absence of a hit-the-deck bowler. Johnson gets plenty of bounce in any case.
Unless your attack contains Marshall, Holding, Garner, Roberts, Warne and Murali you will be missing some key weapon to test the batsman with.

I don't think the batsmen mind so much.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Seriously though, I still think we could've used Dowlin in the batting side as well....
Aside from Dowlin being a below-par, if committed, batsman...
Who would you have had him in for? Considering that everyone who's not "undroppable" (ie Nash) has come good in this innings so far. Ramdin maybe?

Woodster

International Captain
A good day of Test cricket, and nice that it was a competitive one, with WI probably shading it considering their improvements from the opening Test. Bravo certainly rode his luck today, but on the whole batted very well. Seemed a little loose to start with, then settled down inevitably the longer he stayed, looking more solid, and became more attacking once he was set and clearly seeing it well. But we know he is capable of playing innings like this, let's just hope it is not another four years before we see his next Test century.

It was also a good finish to the day for WI aswell with Sammy and Nash putting together a very useful partnership, Sammy struck the ball beautifully, and will hopefully push on for a while tomorrow.

Must admit I'm surprised by calls for Siddle to step aside if other quicks return to fitness, I think he's been the most impressive over the last 12 months, and his figures today bear no resemblance to how he actually bowled. He gave a couple of loose ones to the batsmen, but on the whole he was at them all day, hitting the pitch, getting the very odd one to seam, the track did very little all day for anyone, and was mightily unfortunate not to nick a couple out.