• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think they saw Lara playing himself back into form in the first innings, and that probably influenced their decision largely, considering that this pitch is still very flat.

which also means that the lead with the WI going in to bat will probably be about 600 - with Australia declaring soon before or soon after Lunch - depending on the weather too

*checks forecast* its supposed to rain alot for the next couple of days so i dont think Australia will be batting for too long today, probably try and get a quick 50 or so runs maybe?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
looking at the brisbane radar image it looks like its gonna rain this morning than clear up abit, at least for a while.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It may sound negative, but Australia has more than enough runs on the board already. They should declare overnight.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
open365 said:
i'm begining to have doughts over HUssey and his test match batting abilities....
Hussey's a fine player although I'd prefer to see him in the middle order.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Totally unrelated to today's play -

Was listening earlier in the day to a radio show hosted by NZ's John 'Mystery' Morrison
and I have to agree with his comments about Ian Howell the Umpire.

His decision against Brian Lara was the worst he had seen for a long time And having seen it I agree completely.

That has to rank among the worst ever in Test Cricket . Based on that decision and general performance of Howell, Mystery was of the opinion he is totally not upto Test Umpiring standard .

I haven't seen much of the rest of the game to comment. But the Lara LBW decision has to rank among the worst in Test Cricket for some time . :D :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JASON said:
Totally unrelated to today's play -

Was listening earlier in the day to a radio show hosted by NZ's John 'Mystery' Morrison
and I have to agree with his comments about Ian Howell the Umpire.

His decision against Brian Lara was the worst he had seen for a long time And having seen it I agree completely.

That has to rank among the worst ever in Test Cricket . Based on that decision and general performance of Howell, Mystery was of the opinion he is totally not upto Test Umpiring standard .

I haven't seen much of the rest of the game to comment. But the Lara LBW decision has to rank among the worst in Test Cricket for some time . :D :D
The Bichel decision Lara got last time Australia was in the West Indies was worse. Lara dragged a drive back onto his pad and was given out LBW by Venkat. Absolutely unbelievable that Australia would even appeal for it, let alone get it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt about it, this is great stuff from Lee. Pace, accuracy, discipline and swing. He's tougher to play than McGrath right now.

Mister Wright

Pratyush said:
Another thing I want to highlight:

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...ershigh=;event=0;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

The average 3rd inning total in Brisbane is 289 while the averae 4th inning total is 299!

The apprehensions are quite out of reason in my opinion.

Let me take the two scenarios.

Australia enforce follow on

Windies bats. Australia get 66 overs on the third day and whatever time remains to get the Windies out.

Lets take a possible worst case for Australia - Windies scoring 450 and Australia having to score 225 to win. A challenge on the 5th day no doubt. But not that tough a task. But a chance of a loss remains.

Australia does not enforce follow on

Windies get 500 or more to chase in two days or less considering how much Australia decide to bat further and how much it rains.

In the first scenario, even if it rains later on, Australia know that they will have to chase the required runs at a much hgher run rate. So they bat as agressively as the situation demands.

In the second scenario, if it rains a lot, Windies may have much less overs to bat than Australia could have forced them to.

The more it rains, the more it will that Australia should have enforced the follow on. For example if there are 90 overs of play which can occur in the match, and Australia declare immediately, they have 90 overs to dismiss Windies.

If they would have declared earlier, they would have had around 150 overs to get the wickets and make the runs at a quicker pace (whatever Windies managed above 225).

The declaration is a move is a very conservative approach. As a team you have to take the more agressive stand, playing for a greater chance of winning even if it means there is a very small chance of losing.
Give it up. Australia would have got information regarding likely scenarios with the weather. They would have probably sent them back in if they knew it was highly likely that it would rain for two days.

Mister Wright

open365 said:
i'm begining to have doughts over HUssey and his test match batting abilities....
Many people already had doubts about his ability long before he proved it in his test debut.

Mister Wright

social said:
Hussey's a fine player although I'd prefer to see him in the middle order.
Why would he bat in the middle order for a test match. I think he would have rarely done the job in first class cricket. AFAIA Hussey has always been a first class opener and only made the decision to move to the middle order in one day cricket in the last couple of years.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Jumping the gun a bit?
Not really. He's never been a sensation or consistent performer in Australian domestic cricket. His stats have been boosted by wonderful series in England. He was very unassured with the pull shot in both innings. Nothing from either innings to suggest he belongs at the highest level.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Not really. He's never been a sensation or consistent performer in Australian domestic cricket. His stats have been boosted by wonderful series in England. He was very unassured with the pull shot in both innings. Nothing from either innings to suggest he belongs at the highest level.
How can you possibly judge a player on one match? He played a couple of bad pull shots... big deal. We know he's got the temprament for international cricket, he's got a solid record in Australia and a brilliant one in England, and he's played on test where he had a failure and a start. Doesn't tell us anything.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
How can you possibly judge a player on one match? He played a couple of bad pull shots... big deal. We know he's got the temprament for international cricket, he's got a solid record in Australia and a brilliant one in England, and he's played on test where he had a failure and a start. Doesn't tell us anything.
Except that he's unlikely to get another go for a while. With Hayden now back in form and Langer to return next test it is unlikely there will be another opening for an opener for well over a year and by then it will be time to look for a permanent replacement which I hope they give to Jaques.