• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

King_Ponting

International Regular
howardj said:
I was listening to the ABC radio, at the ground, and I heard them say what I said above. I flicked the radio off straight after though, so I may be wrong.
Yeh u switched off early, rackerman said it went over on ABC

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
It was going over the stumps. Hawkeye showed that, and there was no way the umpire could have been sure if he was struck in line with the stumps or not. I thought that was a fair decision.
Ah I must not have seen that, either way top ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
Dasa said:
Collymore has been bowling very well...he seems like another Srinath - beats the bat over and over and is extremely unlucky.
its really quite a shame that he didnt get more wickets yesterday, despite beating the bat at will. he wasnt helped by edwards bowling 4 balls down the leg side and 2 on the head in the following overs either, or by darren powell's poor seam position.

tooextracool

International Coach
Adamc said:
Gah... typical Gayle dismissal. I thought before the series that he might really struggle against McGrath, and my opinion hasn't changed. :( Go Sarwan!
chris gayle really has no chance of scoring runs when the ball is moving around even the slightest bit. AFAIC he isnt more than a slogger.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
How bad was his foot work with that shot. Really poor, even for him.
forget about the footwork, what was he trying to do there? hit mcgrath for a 6 with the new ball moving around?

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Bracken was excellent - good accuracy, mid-130s, enough movement to make life interesting, unlucky not to jag Lara.
i really do wonder what some people on here were watching. Bracken barely attacked the stumps, infact 5 out of 6 balls of his overs were a foot outside the off stump and were left alone(which explains his ER). while collymore and mcgrath created plenty of plays and misses bracken looked completely unthreatening and created no problems whatsoever which is exactly what happened the last time he played test match cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
By the way fellas, did Lee bowl line or did he bowl length ? :huh:
typical lee really. bowls one ball thats the right line and length that gets the outside edge and goes for 4, then follows it up with a short ball wide of off stump and gets hammered for a 4. then he bowls a bouncer hits the batsman on the head and thinks he won the battle.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
I think that, although the Australian bowling was excellent, most of the wickets falling in the West Indian innings were down to poor shots, especially Chanderpaul's, a horrific shot really.

tooextracool

International Coach
Hazza said:
I think that, although the Australian bowling was excellent, most of the wickets falling in the West Indian innings were down to poor shots, especially Chanderpaul's, a horrific shot really.
there was good bowling from australia yes, but all of it came from mcgrath and warne, and really how surprising is that?

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
tooextracool said:
there was good bowling from australia yes, but all of it came from mcgrath and warne, and really how surprising is that?
From what I've heard, Bracken didn't bowl too badly.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:

Lee's 2nd spell was apparently quite good, and Bracken bowled ok, but your right he didn't look too dangerous - though i think hes picked up a little pace since he last played test cricket.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
It was going over the stumps. Hawkeye showed that, and there was no way the umpire could have been sure if he was struck in line with the stumps or not. I thought that was a fair decision.

hawkeye isn't great on those ones i dont reakon, i reakon it would have been closer than that, quite possibly hitting the top of teh stimps.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Oh my I was coming back to this thread just to comment about that. Nicholas is the worst commentator, I can't stand him. I wish he was seriously gone from the Nine team, that article saying he was out of a job just got my hopes up :(

Seriously its lines like that that make me think how the hell can people rate him as a commentator?
My regards for you increase right there!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
if you call being completely innocuous while still being economical as 'didnt bowl too badly', then yes.
As long as anyone's keeping the runs very tight, then of course they can be effective as far as the team is concerned - 'doing their bit', so to speak - because it can build up pressure. Of course, if the guy at the other end is Glenn McGrath, that pressure build-up is doubly so.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A lot of Ponting (courtesy howstat)

Ricky Ponting, with 7,558 runs at an average of 55.98 is the fourth highest Australian run-getter behind Allan Border (11174 – ave. 50.56), Steve Waugh (10927 – ave. 51.06), and Mark Waugh (8029 – ave.41.81)
#
Ponting’s 24th Test century – 149 off 213 balls – is his fifth in 13 Tests against West Indies.
#
In last six innings against West Indies, Ponting has made four centuries – his sequence has been 117 & 42 at Georgetown in 2002-03; 206 & 45 at Port of Spain; 113 at Bridgetown and 149 at Brisbane in November 2005 – four centuries in four Tests. His only other hundred against West Indies was 104 at Bridgetown in 1998-99.
#
Only Steve Waugh (7) and Doug Walters (6) have recorded more hundreds for Australia against West Indies than Ponting. Sunil Gavaskar holds the world record for making 13 hundreds against West Indies.
#
Ponting’s 149 is now his highest at Brisbane, bettering his only other hundred at this venue – 123 off 195 balls against England in 2002-03.
#
Ponting (1112 in 11 Tests) is now the leading run-getter in 2005, surpassing Marcus Trescothick’s tally of 1027 in 10 Tests.
#
Ponting has joined Jacques Kallis, Graeme Smith and Brian Lara in scoring 4 Test centuries in 2005.