• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bres selected for the performance squad game starting tomorrow. England seem to have selected 13.

EPP team v Queensland Academy of Sport XI tomorrow: Lees Chopra Robson Vince Ali Buttler Foakes Bresnan Jordan Harris Briggs Topley Mills

91Jmay

International Coach
Willey had to go home injured which is a shame. Chopra and Robson are interesting ones, no chance at Adelaide but if the batting is a woeful there again they could be looked at for Perth

brockley

International Captain
Robson played some Futures cricket,may have spent time @ the Academy or played in the Colts match between NSW and QLD.

Tangles

Could be an interesting selection but could be throwing him to the wolves. On the plus side AO is flat if he's good enough to handle being picked. Perth is different but anyone coming in will be tested by Perth unless they have played there.

theegyptian

I'd be shocked if Robson got anywhere near the team. He's talked about quite a lot about because he was born in australia but I don't think he is or was particularly close to selection to this tour. Eng coaches and selectors like you to play a few lions games and go through the performance squad a couple of times to have a close look at technique and temperament. His first class career has been a bit up and down as well and he needs more consistency.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'd be shocked if Robson got anywhere near the team. He's talked about quite a lot about because he was born in australia but I don't think he is or was particularly close to selection to this tour. Eng coaches and selectors like you to play a few lions games and go through the performance squad a couple of times to have a close look at technique and temperament. His first class career has been a bit up and down as well and he needs more consistency.
Yeah he basically had a brilliant first half of last season, but apart from that has just been a decent player.

Tangles

Cricinfo is indicating Root to 3 with Ballance or Bairstow at 6. Opener to 6 to 3 sounds like our treatment of Hughes.

theegyptian

Cricinfo is indicating Root to 3 with Ballance or Bairstow at 6. Opener to 6 to 3 sounds like our treatment of Hughes.
Ha yes. Even better he started at 6 before moving to opener so yeah he's getting moved all over the place. Batted at 2,4,5,6 and 7 after 12 tests. England selectors/coachin staff really haven't got their approach right to the opening and 6 spot in the last couple of years. Confused thinking.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It has been bad but if he moves to 3 he has a chance to cement a place there as there has to be a doubt as to whether Trott can return.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It has been bad but if he moves to 3 he has a chance to cement a place there as there has to be a doubt as to whether Trott can return.
He has a chance to cement his place at 6.

It was a mistake to move Root the first time to do it again would be ridiculous........do not want to see Carberry and Root in the top 3, we need some cool heads and experience at the top of the order. Has to be Bell at 3 surely??

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be tempted to leave Bell at 5, our best player at present and him and KP can change the course of a game from 4 and 5. Not overly fussed who goes to 3 out of Bell and Root as long as they don't go funky and try Ballance there.

Last edited:

Tangles

Compton at 3 no one seems to like at all. I'm not a huge fan of 3 openers but it would add protection to the middle order. What you don't get is the different gears a true 3 has. Moving Bell is a similar argument to Clarke. Can he handle batting 2nd ball of a test? Is it worth weakening the middle order to try him at 3.

Funny enough your batting order now has Australia's recent problems with 3 and 6. I'm not convinced with Watto or Bailey.