• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz I think you're overreacting. I understand you're upset over the loss, as am I, but do you realise what you just said?

I can just imagine the riots if Sachin was dropped. :O

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why specifically Sachin? Why not Saurav, Laxman and Rahul? Why not Yuvraj? Do you really think he's good enough against a Test quailty bowling attack? I'm surprised he's still persisted with, when Rohan Gavaskar, Hemang and several others are waiting!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is everyone blaming the Indian batsmen for the failure? The bowling was far from ordinary- it was horrible! Especially the most experiened and accomplished pace bowler. Even Kumble was disappointing, but he was not 100% fit.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
JONO - I am not upset by the loss, I am upset by the humiliation. His performance on this tour has been a disgrace.

Trsut me there wont by any such riots if he is dropped. He has been a distraction all season. I have been keeping track of his performance since Indian tour of West Indies and I believe his time is over. This guy doesn't have any motivation left and gets low on confidence everytime he gets out. He is a major stumbling block in our plans of future.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Why is everyone blaming the Indian batsmen for the failure? The bowling was far from ordinary- it was horrible! Especially the most experiened and accomplished pace bowler. Even Kumble was disappointing, but he was not 100% fit.
Arjun - Did it ever occur to you that MCG was a flat pitch full of runs and 222 was too small a target to defend against the World Champs on this batting paradise ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sanz said:
JONO - I am not upset by the loss, I am upset by the humiliation. His performance on this tour has been a disgrace.

Trsut me there wont by any such riots if he is dropped. He has been a distraction all season. I have been keeping track of his performance since Indian tour of West Indies and I believe his time is over. This guy doesn't have any motivation left and gets low on confidence everytime he gets out. He is a major stumbling block in our plans of future.
I think you're in a minority of about one here.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun - Did it ever occur to you that MCG was a flat pitch full of runs and 222 was too small a target to defend against the World Champs on this batting paradise ?
So what? How is it that the Aussie bowlers could restrict the Indian batsmen for less than 250, while the Indians couldn't? Obviously good bowling by Gillespie and Lee, and rubbish bowling by Agarkar, Pathan and Balaji.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I think you're in a minority of about one here.
I know. :D

Arjun - Unlike the Australians, Our (top order) batsmen gifted their wickets on a platter and their defensive attitude sucked. You can continue to live in denial and blame the bowling.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun - Unlike the Australians, Our (top order) batsmen gifted their wickets on a platter and their defensive attitude sucked. You can continue to live in denial and blame the bowling.
Only Dravid did. The others were done in by quality and power in bowling. Not to mention good fielding. Add Ponting's effective plans to that to get rid of Sachin, Sehwag and Laxman. Ganguly couldn't do much, since he was too defensive. If he handled these bowlers the way hw handled Flintoff, he'd be more effective. Compare this with the Indians on the field. What bowling? What fielding? What planning? They were just plain submissive.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Well, that was a little easier than I thought it would be!
After India's top 6 were routed, it was always going to be hard to post 250 or so - but well done to Yuvraj and Agarkar for restoring some respectability in the total.
Once again Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly were tentative, though I thought Laxman looked good for a while.

I felt Williams, Lee, Gillespie and Harvey all bowled very well at times.

Ponting 88 off 80 balls, showing his class again......and well played to Gilly for the flying start, when he left the rate was 8 an over!

Ridiculous decision by Ganguly not to use Pathan with the new ball IMO - the boy has shown he can swing the ball, he has taken 14 wickets in the series, and was coming off a 4 wicket haul in Perth - can someone explain to me the logic in that piece of captaincy?

Anyway, the series is not over yet, good luck to both sides in the 2nd final.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
ReallyCrazy said:
The reason pathan didn't get the new ball was because gilchrist and hayden had pummeled him in the other games.
What and Gilchrist didn't pummel the bowling today?

Pathan has troubled Gilchrist at times - I recall a beautiful inswinger that bowled him neck and crop.......

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What and Gilchrist didn't pummel the bowling today?

Pathan has troubled Gilchrist at times - I recall a beautiful inswinger that bowled him neck and crop.......
Was Agarkar particularly lethat with the new ball? Balaji had done his job, to some extent. Pathan was using the new ball in Perth to good effect.

Well done to Yuvraj and Agarkar for restoring some respectability in the total.
What great thing did Yuvraj, far short of Test standard needed here, do to save the team? It was Badani who did something useful, apart from run out a few more batsmen.

And of what use were the 50's? Given batting is the team's strength and bowling a major weakness, especially pace, or the lack of it, that does look useless, doesn't it?

Yes they were plain submissive - From the first Ball we faced. Batting is our strength and we batted poorly.
It is surprising, even shocking, that a team with 7 batsmen can't reach 250 runs, even when batting first.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Sanz said:
Yes they were plain submissive - From the first Ball we faced. Batting is our strength and we batted poorly.
And that was unusual given the way the summer has gone for India - only Laxman (despite being sconed on the helmet - again) showed any authority really......

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Arjun said:
What great thing did Yuvraj, far short of Test standard needed here, do to save the team? It was Badani who did something useful, apart from run out a few more batsmen.
[/B]
Sorry, I think I meant Badani - he did well to be there at the end - Yuvraj was the other guy besides Laxman who showed a bit of authority on occassions......

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree with Kenny, Pathan should of been given the new ball. Balaji is a young talent but Pathan has shown he can swing, and his confidence was booming after he cleaned up the Zimbabwe top order. It was unlikely that India were going to bowl Australia out anyway, but Pathan could of made a difference.

Regarding India's loss of wickets, it was just brilliant planning by the Australians. Ponting captained well today, no denying that and the Indians looked flat. I believe they will improve on this for Sunday's game.

And Arjun, those two 50's prevented India for being bowled out for 100 and being embarassed even further. It also gave the fans at the MCG (me being one of them) more cricket to watch. I, the Australian fans and hopefully the Indians as well were appreciative of Agarkar and Badani's knock. The ovation Agarkar got when he was finally dismissed was very generous indeed for a man who was made a mockery of only 4 years ago.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
And that was unusual given the way the summer has gone for India - only Laxman (despite being sconed on the helmet - again) showed any authority really......
Yes and it hurt to see players like Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly being so defensive.

There is no shame in losing esp to World Champ but to surrender without offering a decent fight is shameful. I didn't pay 200 USD to witness this sort of meek surrender.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm curious as why they were so defensive at the start, even Sehwag was and that is very very rare. Every game, whether batting first or second, they have come out firing and yet today (or yesterday now) they were very tentative, almost nervous. Whether it was a game plan to not lose wickets (which backfired lol) or whether they were just nervous yet again in a final, despite their experience, I am not sure. But there has to be a logical explanation.

My dad's friend was sitting with the Indian team, and apparently John Wright was very disappointed (as he would be) with the batting performance. As each wicket fell the dressing room was silent.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I'm sure the Indian players were fighting as hard as they possibly could - I feel that Australia's planning has improved immeasurably, no more of this 7/2 field and bowling outside the off stump........it has made a hell of a difference to see the bowlers attack the stumps/body of the Indian batsman! The length Gillespie, Lee and Williams were bowling today was different........

I think the situation called for some radical thinking by Ganguly - I would have opened with Pathan/Agarkar, and then first change - Kumble!!
Let's face it, he had to bowl Australia out, something left of centre wouldn't have hurt, and Kumble has picked up Hayden a couple of times on tour.

Jono, Sehwag got a pretty good and nasty ball from Gillespie - he was trying to be aggressive I think, but that was just a good ball to get early on.