• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
Yes, but you were saying they were better off going out in a blaze of glory. IMO if they had of tried to smack the ball all around the pack, it might have come off, but it could have backfired and they could have been bowled out for 150. The way they batted at least gave them a chance to go for an assault in the last 15 overs.
IMO, yes, they would have been better blazing than what they were doing, even if it only brought those more capable of attempting to chase the total to the crease a little sooner. They could have at least aimed to be scoring at 4 to 4.5 an over during that period. Bottom line is that they were far, far too defensive, and should have been more interested in the total they were chasing. They made it far too difficult for the lower order, and the result of the game indicates that.

Let's say the worst scenario happens, and they did go out for 150. Like I said, not that much was expected of them to begin with. Batting yourself into accepting losing is worse than having a real shot, IMO, and a possible scenario is that you actually win the game. All teams start throwing the bat and pushing hard for constant singles when the run-rate required starts getting well above six an over - it's not like this is an irrational thing to do, given the nature of the game.

And they did try and have a go. When Flower was out they promoted Blignaught who fell cheaply. So I feel your assessment of the game is a little off.
Here though, you're really talking about Streak and Marsh (who would have made the decision to promote Blignaut). I'm not criticizing the captain or the coaching staff - rather the batsmen who stood out there blocking manfully while their chances petered gently away. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, if you think they did the right thing.

Slow Love™

International Captain
furious_ged said:
Now maybe none of the keepers have stand out records this season but Haddin is hardly the greatest keeper around. So what is he getting in above everyone else for? I'd go for Seccombe, personally at the moment. I'd like to know the justification for picking Haddin. I think being from NSW is not it. Reputation, maybe? He has a good record from other seasons.
Yeah, but this is certainly going to fan the flames of those apoplexic about NSW selection bias already.

I would have thought that Seccombe was a walk-in, although Campbell has exhibited an aptitude for one-day cricket in the past. Strange decision.

Damien Martyn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
umm i may b a little late but i think if india can play like they played vs Aust they beat them but if they bat like they did vs Zimbabwe they will get flogged because the openers went so bad there lucky they got the zimbabwe operners out early otherwise they'd be in a little more trouble

Eclipse

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
Having just checked the results of the keepers this season, I am baffled. Of the 3 leading candidates (Haddin, Campbell, Seccombe), the results don't say much for Haddin:
Haddin ----- 53 runs -- 5 innings @ 13.25
Campbell -- 134 runs -- 6 innings @ 22.33
Seccombe - 144 runs -- 6 innings @ 48.00

Granted, none of those are fantastic figures, but they say absolutely nothing for Haddin. Even the other 2 best keepers for their state (Clingeleffer and Manou) have better results than Haddin batting-wise (albeit only slightly):
Clingeleffer --- 97 runs ---- 6 innings @ 24.25
Manou ------- 127 runs --- 7 innings @ 31.75

Now maybe none of the keepers have stand out records this season but Haddin is hardly the greatest keeper around. So what is he getting in above everyone else for? I'd go for Seccombe, personally at the moment. I'd like to know the justification for picking Haddin. I think being from NSW is not it.
Reputation, maybe? He has a good record from other seasons.
The reason Haddin has done poorly in OD game's this season is because NSW have been batting him way down the order this season.

He has not yet had a chance to make a big inning's and has basicly had to slog when ever he has come in.

As an opening batsman in OD game's he has alway's done well for NSW (an avrage over 30 + strike rate 100).

Andre

International Regular
Dingo said:
Memo to Australian selectors:

Either play Brad Hogg or drop him back to WA. Little wonder he's out of form, he may as well be wearing a waiter's outfit...
Couldn't agree more mate.

His selection takes tokenism way too far IMO.

iamdavid

International Debutant
CDAK said:
Also, ur point of AUS's lack of defensive style is true.Beven can do better there. Imagine ,if he was batting at no.3, his his batting average might be some 80's and equal 100s of Sachin.!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bevan's ratio of innings/not outs is the reason he averages 54 , if he batted 3 he would not be unbeaten half as much & would consequently average at least 15 fewer , he aint great with the ball nipping back into him at pace (ie not a new ball player).
I dont reckon he'd average 35 at number 3 to be honest.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
And like I said earlier, I believe your analysis of Test 4 Day 3 is somewhat flawed. It was in no way the case of Australia having the upper hand.
I never said that though!

I called it even!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
CDAK said:
Imagine ,if he was batting at no.3, his his batting average might be some 80's and equal 100s of Sachin.!!!!
I very much doubt it - his game to me is based around seeing the side home (and thus ending up unbeaten)

If he went in at 3, I feel he wouldn't get as many not outs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow haven't posted in this topic in a while, I'll address a few of the sub topics.

1) Let the test series go. The whole idea to count how many days each side dominated is ridiculous. I believe India were the better team during the series, but not because of days dominated but rather because of the way the captains took the end of the series. Steve Waugh was satisfied, Ganguly (who even got to retain the Border/Gavaskar Trophy) was not. None the less let's let go of the test game and get back to pyjama cricket. :D

2) Zimbabwe's performance was definitely a great sight, however as an Indian fan I was definitely not looking forward to them winning, the last thing India needed was a loss to Zimbabwe after beating Australia 2 days earlier. I am not worried about not winning the bonus point or Zimbabwe coming close, they played well and deserved how close they got, and on top of that half the Indian team wasn't there (a bit of an exaggeration). I was pleased to see Patel opening though, I wish he scored though, but he made up for it with a great catch in his pads :P

3) The issue of Zimbabwe's top order and how quick they scored their runs. I think Zimbabwe started off well and it wasn't the first 15 overs that was the problem, it was the middle period. If Flower had stuck in there and got his 50, he could of anchored the innings and knocked 4 or 5 singles an over along with his batting partners. They could of won, but never really looked like getting it. I saw their performance as an annoying headache for Sourav Ganguly lol. I still in my opinion believe Blignaut and Ervine should be higher in the order. Opening with Blignaut could pay off with a little experience in the top order. Now is the time to start trying things, they've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

4) Michael Bevan has made his career on his performances in the last 10 - 15 overs. I think they have tried batting him at 4 before, and it didn't work out properly. Australia have a very strong batting line up, and should be able to hold their own in the middle overs with Martyn (when he strikes form), Ponting and Clarke (if he continues the way he's going). Bevan's average would definitely not be 50+ if he batted at 3 or 4. Let him do what he does best at the death. Even so, I think it's too late to change now. Martyn is the man for the job if he can strike form, whether he can is a different question.

Tomorrow's game is set to be another good one, can't wait.

Last edited:

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Bevan has stated in his book that he liked batting at number 4 and it came as a surprise to him when the coach and captain dropped him to number 7.....he also said that no 4 allowed him to build an innings instead of having to guide the side home in the later overs.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
CDAK said:
BTW, what is the use of Damien in AUS team?
To play cricket.

Meanwhile, I saw on Sports Tonight they are planning to have Lee open the bowling... Brave, but it might just work.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
iamdavid & marc said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bevan's ratio of innings/not outs is the reason he averages 54 , if he batted 3 he would not be unbeaten half as much & would consequently average at least 15 fewer , he aint great with the ball nipping back into him at pace (ie not a new ball player).
I dont reckon he'd average 35 at number 3 to be honest.
Originally posted by marc
I very much doubt it - his game to me is based around seeing the side home (and thus ending up unbeaten
Both of u r stressing the point that he got more notouts for getting that average. But remember,if he can keep his wicket in the final overs and win the game for his team, then sure he can do it much better in the top order. Moreover,for a batsman in Bevan's position, it is not easy to get those number of notouts.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Michael Bevan has played at number 4 in 58 matches and averages 59 in that position. His HS of 108* came in that position too. He should play at 4. He can be what Dravid is to India. He's being wasted down the order.

CDAK said:
Is it ??!!!!:O :wow: :wow:

If that's the case ,inform him as soon as possible and that may help his team, atleast.
That's garbage. Need you be reminded of Sachin 'God' Tendulkar's test form last year?

The fact that someone has a period of bad play suggests only that they are human. I'm anxiously awaiting Martyn's imminent credible performance to shut you up.

krkode

State Captain
furious_ged said:
That's garbage. Need you be reminded of Sachin 'God' Tendulkar's test form last year?
Don't compare him to Sachin 'God' Tendulkar. Martyn is a puny mortal...:yawn:

:D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Linda said:
To play cricket.

Meanwhile, I saw on Sports Tonight they are planning to have Lee open the bowling... Brave, but it might just work.

at least he will have the oportunity to swing the ball....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I very much doubt it - his game to me is based around seeing the side home (and thus ending up unbeaten)

If he went in at 3, I feel he wouldn't get as many not outs.

yeah i agree on this BUT i can remember him batting @ number 3 alot for NSW domestically (i could be wrong here) and his domestic average is 58