• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official**VB Series 2005 Australia,Pakistan,West Indies.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
several occasions, but because i dont havent actually been able to count each of those occasions i wouldnt be able to tell you. i can of course only remind you about occasions, such as his running catch of rhodes in the 99 wc. with regard to looked like he would close in on the ball, as i said earlier, bevan was the quickest runner in the side everyone knows that, if anyone got to the ball quick it was bevan.
Towards the end of his career a snail would have beet him to the ball. He may of been a really good fielder at the beginning of his career, but he was never a great thrower and often when he was fielding deep required someone to help him get the ball back to the pitch.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
That's where I made my mistake TEC was comparing Bevan to English fieldsman - no wonder he thinks Bevan was brilliant in the field.
complete and utter rubbish, anyone who watched bevan throughout his career would know that he was easily an excellent fielder and a brilliant runner.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Towards the end of his career a snail would have beet him to the ball. He may of been a really good fielder at the beginning of his career, but he was never a great thrower and often when he was fielding deep required someone to help him get the ball back to the pitch.
towards the end of his career yes his shoulder injury affected him badly and he wasnt a very good thrower. but to say that he was worse than a snail on the field is absolutely ridiculous. was bevan slow in his running between wickets towards the end of his career? no he wasnt, he was still fairly quick.
and he was an excellent fielder for most of his career, except the last 1 or 2 years, something that you initially denied.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Yes Bevan is a great runner between the wickets, probably the best in the world. However he doesn't stack up fielding-wise in comparison to ponting, symonds clarke and pretty much the rest of the australian team besides lehman. Never had a great pair of hands either.

Josh

International Regular
AUSTRALIA A Vs. WEST INDIES
2005 Tour Match

Hobart

AUSTRALIA A 8/263 (50)
D.Hussey: 128 (123), White 61 (57)

D.Bravo: 4/42 (10), R.King 2/44 (10)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Josh said:
2005 Tour Match

Hobart

Hugely encouraging those figures. Really hoping for King on this tour.

Craig

World Traveller
Mister Wright said:
Australia have picked their squad for the VB Series, with no real surprises.

One-day team named
January 8, 2005

THE Australian one-day cricket squad was named today for the upcoming VB Series.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Michael Clarke, Jason Gillespie, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hogg, Michael Kasprowicz, Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Brett Lee, Darren Lehmann, Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath, Andrew Symonds.

AAP
And Michael Clarke is no certainly with his foot injury.

After his knock today David Hussey might be the first person considered as a replacement.

Craig

World Traveller
Josh said:
2005 Tour Match

Hobart

AUSTRALIA A 8/263 (50)

Pretty disappionting to let the Australians get that far after having them at 5/102, really didn't look like killing the game. From the evidence of today I do not rate Marlon Samuels as a bowler, but then I have felt he wasn't that good. I would also have played a 3rd seamer instead of a longer batting line-up.

I questioned Bravo's tatics early on in his opening overs by bowling far too short to David Hussey, especially when Hussey started to hit a few fours from Bravo bowling short at Hussey and allowing him to play the cut shot. Would have been better served pitching the ball up IMO, and Bravo and King need to cut down the amount of wides bowled. I really hate it when batsmen move from a normal batting stance, the ball goes wide of where they are currently are standing, miss the ball and they get a wide. Surely the umpire could see that the batsman has moved from his normal batting stance, tried to play some shot not from the finer points of the MCC Coaching Manuel and get a run for it.

My other question is why was Chanderpaul standing at point yet he was clearly a weak link and Hussey and White were running easy singles to him. Would of thought Lara might have moved him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I hope this series is as competitive as the ODI series between these 3 back in 1994/95. That was a brilliant series.

Josh

International Regular
2005 Tour Match

Hobart

AUSTRALIA A 8/263 (50)

WEST INDIES 6/265 (48.4)
Lara: 116*(84)
, Chanderpaul: 42 (59), Gayle: 40 (32)

D.Wright: 2/40 (10)

WEST INDIES win by 2 wickets.
Man of the Match: B.C.Lara (WI) -
116*(84)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Josh said:
2005 Tour Match

Hobart

AUSTRALIA A 8/263 (50)

WEST INDIES 6/265 (48.4)
Lara: 116*(84)
, Chanderpaul: 42 (59), Gayle: 40 (32)

D.Wright: 2/40 (10)

WEST INDIES win by 2 wickets.
Man of the Match: B.C.Lara (WI) -
116*(84)
I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of Cricinfo.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I hope this series is as competitive as the ODI series between these 3 back in 1994/95. That was a brilliant series.
You mean 92/93?

The windies/pakistan aussie home series have always produced exciting cricket through the years.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Lara was absolutely brilliant today. :)
Vintage Lara, that. Hauritz will be buying a round of drinks for the rest of the team after having Lara stumped off a no-ball though, and to a lesser extent, Cameron White might be a tad disappointed not to have him LBW.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
That Lara innings was absolutely sublime, reiterating in my mind that he is the best player of spin around. David Hussey must also be in consideration for the Australian squad with a century to follow his 83* a few days earlier, and Clarke out with an injury(?).

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Apparently I meant 1996/97. Just checked Cricinfo ;)
Ah yeh that was a great series. Aussies didnt make the finals and pakistan creamed the windies in the final.
Lara had a great run that series scoring 2 centuries and a 90 on the trot.