• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official**VB Series 2005 Australia,Pakistan,West Indies.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's not quite true that Pakistan have no other options. They have arguably the most successful ODI spinner ever rotting on the scrapheap you know...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia A have lost Haddin & Hodge early. King & Bradshaw have 1 wicket each. They are 2/24 after 8.4 and Chappell is boring us talking about foot work of the slips fielders.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
No you don't. Bevan & Lehmann have been getting away with being shocking fielders for pretty much their entire careers.
what the hell are you talking about? bevan was quite a brilliant fielder for most of his career. he could field absolutely anywhere on the field.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
what the hell are you talking about? bevan was quite a brilliant fielder for most of his career. he could field absolutely anywhere on the field.

No he wasn't. I've never seen anyone drop any more sitters (for an Australian player).

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
No he wasn't. I've never seen anyone drop any more sitters (for an Australian player).
lets hear about these sitters then. bevan was a fine fielder for anyone who watched his entire career, so much so in fact that its the first line of his cricinfo profile.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
lets hear about these sitters then. bevan was a fine fielder for anyone who watched his entire career, so much so in fact that its the first line of his cricinfo profile.

Don't believe everything you read. He spent over half his career at 3rd man or fine leg because he was far too slow in the in-field. He dropped a few dead-set sitters at square leg off McGrath in one particular VB series, two in the first over of one game.

Mister Wright

Australia have picked their squad for the VB Series, with no real surprises.

One-day team named
January 8, 2005

THE Australian one-day cricket squad was named today for the upcoming VB Series.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Michael Clarke, Jason Gillespie, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hogg, Michael Kasprowicz, Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Brett Lee, Darren Lehmann, Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath, Andrew Symonds.

AAP

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Don't believe everything you read. He spent over half his career at 3rd man or fine leg because he was far too slow in the in-field. He dropped a few dead-set sitters at square leg off McGrath in one particular VB series, two in the first over of one game.
He was often stationed at mid-on or mid-off as well wasn't he? Not exactly the spot where you put your best fielders.

Mister Wright

Now the ever over-rated and pathetic Thornely is out - 17 (34). Aus 'A' 4/78. The Hussey brothers are together.

Mister Wright

Voltman said:
He was often stationed at mid-on or mid-off as well wasn't he? Not exactly the spot where you put your best fielders.
Exactly. Your best fielders are placed around the point, cover & midwicket areas in ODIs.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Don't believe everything you read.
no i dont, ive watched most of bevan's career and i know enough about his fielding to assure myself that he was an excellent fielder.

Mister Wright said:
He spent over half his career at 3rd man or fine leg because he was far too slow in the in-field.
no, he was put at 3rd man and fine leg because he was the quickest runner in the aussie side( and really even you cant doubt that) and therefore had the best chance of stopping balls that went down there. and with regard to him in the infield i can assure you that hes fielded on several occasions at mid off and at point.

Mister Wright said:
He dropped a few dead-set sitters at square leg off McGrath in one particular VB series, two in the first over of one game.
so you have 3 games in his entire career where he dropped sitters, and you cant even remember those.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
no i dont, ive watched most of bevan's career and i know enough about his fielding to assure myself that he was an excellent fielder.

no, he was put at 3rd man and fine leg because he was the quickest runner in the aussie side( and really even you cant doubt that) and therefore had the best chance of stopping balls that went down there. and with regard to him in the infield i can assure you that hes fielded on several occasions at mid off and at point.

so you have 3 games in his entire career where he dropped sitters, and you cant even remember those.
It was more than 3 games, I just pointed that series out in particular. He was regularly misfielding and dropping catches, his arm was terrible. Please tell me oh great one on the specifics of Bevan's career how often he hit the stumps or looked like he would close in on the ball to cause a run out?

tooextracool

International Coach
Voltman said:
nasser hussain fielded at mid off quite a bit, and go ahead and tell me about how poor his fielding was.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thierry henry said:
It's not quite true that Pakistan have no other options. They have arguably the most successful ODI spinner ever rotting on the scrapheap you know...
I believe he's actually injured.

Mister Wright

parttimer said:
Bevan had a crap arm, moreover hes a little bit unco. Not a great fielder by aussie standards.

That's where I made my mistake TEC was comparing Bevan to English fieldsman - no wonder he thinks Bevan was brilliant in the field.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
It was more than 3 games, I just pointed that series out in particular. He was regularly misfielding and dropping catches, his arm was terrible. Please tell me oh great one on the specifics of Bevan's career how often he hit the stumps or looked like he would close in on the ball to cause a run out?
several occasions, but because i dont havent actually been able to count each of those occasions i wouldnt be able to tell you. i can of course only remind you about occasions, such as his running catch of rhodes in the 99 wc. with regard to looked like he would close in on the ball, as i said earlier, bevan was the quickest runner in the side everyone knows that, if anyone got to the ball quick it was bevan.